Sponsored by:

Not too loud ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 12:05 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not too loud ?

Bear with me on this, as I have never "modded" before, but I`m looking to start by having a cat-back exhaust fitted, and I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good system that isn`t too loud. (MY05 WRX).

I should add that it`s really the performance gains I`m interested in, rather than deciblels, as I`m an old git, and I don`t want to attract too much attention.

Ideas anyone ?
Old 11 July 2005, 12:30 AM
Emzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Bear with me on this, as I have never "modded" before, but I`m looking to start by having a cat-back exhaust fitted, and I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good system that isn`t too loud. (MY05 WRX).

I should add that it`s really the performance gains I`m interested in, rather than deciblels, as I`m an old git, and I don`t want to attract too much attention.

Ideas anyone ?
Performance wise...you've gotta hav a de-cat pipe aswel!
Old 11 July 2005, 01:44 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Revolution system is a 3" exhaust thats not too loud
Old 11 July 2005, 02:59 AM
zakk
Scooby Regular

I have a magnex backbox, I agree you need to get rid of the cat. The magnex is not too loud but has the characteristic flat 4 rumble, I have the oval backbox, ok but I'd prefer the 3 inch round rolled in one. More discreet. Best thing: get a full system. If your WRX is still under warranty, get a Prodrive Performance Pack, otherwise a full sytem could invalidate your warranty. PPP would give you your prefered exhaust note and all of the other desired tasteful mods (remapped ecu etc.) making the car sound nicer and go quicker. Unfortunately the PPP doesnt include furry dice....
Old 11 July 2005, 02:03 PM
New_scooby_04

Ideas anyone ?
H&S can do you a system as quiet or loud as you like within reason. I can personally say that their Original Scooby design backbox sounds lovely, without being annoyingly loud....it turns heads for the right reasons! :-)

NS04
Old 11 July 2005, 10:37 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

I`ve thought long and hard about the PPP, but, IMO, it`s just too expensive, so I`m going to go down the "independent mod" route.

From what I`ve seen/read, a cat-back and panel filter will probably cost around £5-600, and will probably net around 15-20 BHP. Not the equal of the PPP`s 40 BHP I know, but not a bad increase never-the-less, for a lot less money. Plus it does get to sound better (than it does at the moment).

As I say, thanks again.
Old 12 July 2005, 03:00 AM
zakk
Scooby Regular

A cat back exhaust will give no real performance gains at all, but will improve sound. If u want performance gains then you're looking at FULL system ie; exhaust straight off the turbo, panel filter will probably give around 5 bhp (maybe more or less) exhaust: 10-15bhp is nearer the mark. The two together should thus give 15-20 bhp. If you have a warranty, check if these mods will invalidate it.

I also want these mods for my classic, I have the backbox fitted, just need the downpipe/centrepipe and panel filter.
Old 12 July 2005, 01:28 PM
STi G
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

I`ve thought long and hard about the PPP, but, IMO, it`s just too expensive, so I`m going to go down the "independent mod" route.

From what I`ve seen/read, a cat-back and panel filter will probably cost around £5-600, and will probably net around 15-20 BHP. Not the equal of the PPP`s 40 BHP I know, but not a bad increase never-the-less, for a lot less money. Plus it does get to sound better (than it does at the moment).

As I say, thanks again.
i,ve got ablitz nur spec and green panel filter on my v9 sti works well keep up with my pals ppp and costs less than ppp.i,ve had work done under warranty with those mods too. you get a silencer with the blitz if ya want to keep it tame and subtle.
Old 12 July 2005, 05:33 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi G
i,ve got ablitz nur spec and green panel filter on my v9 sti works well keep up with my pals ppp and costs less than ppp.i,ve had work done under warranty with those mods too. you get a silencer with the blitz if ya want to keep it tame and subtle.
Thats even better maybe thats the best way to go........I wonder....how much did that cost you in total mate....and what gains did you get both in the drive and in terms of bhp figures??
Old 12 July 2005, 05:37 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zakk
A cat back exhaust will give no real performance gains at all, but will improve sound. If u want performance gains then you're looking at FULL system ie; exhaust straight off the turbo, panel filter will probably give around 5 bhp (maybe more or less) exhaust: 10-15bhp is nearer the mark. The two together should thus give 15-20 bhp. If you have a warranty, check if these mods will invalidate it.

I also want these mods for my classic, I have the backbox fitted, just need the downpipe/centrepipe and panel filter.
Dont forget the up-pipe as well