Sponsored by:

What if Impreza 07 is a Legacy?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 07:04 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if Impreza 07 is a Legacy?

What do people think about this probable outcome? Is the current Legacy platform good enough to become the next Impreza? One big issue I can see already is how might subaru improve the legacy's poor steering feel? Can they really make an inherently bad system good? I mean I recently drove my friend's Porsche Cayanne and its steering is so much better than the new legacy I've been driving that its kind of sad. I wonder if Subaru even is aware that ones fingers have a quite vauge feel of what is under the Legacy's tires?

Also does anyone have any thought on what Saab's involvment will be with the 07' Impreza?
Old 09 July 2005, 07:28 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Have you driven the MY06 Legacy? It has been improved slightly. It will never have the kind of handling the Impreza has, but you've got to think what type of market the car is aimed at - not one who throws it in an out of bends at every opportunity.

I'm waiting for a test drive report on the MY06 Legacy STi. Maybe the handling has been addressed to cater for the fast-road brigade. Who knows?

SAAB - I'm not sure what you're asking.
Old 09 July 2005, 08:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

All of the studies that Ive seen show the Impreza becoming a hatchback in the class size below that that it currently (just about) occupies. Thatd certainly make a more competitive platform from which to develop a WRC car too, as the current car is a bit of a barge.

Simon
Old 09 July 2005, 10:09 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
All of the studies that Ive seen show the Impreza becoming a hatchback in the class size below that that it currently (just about) occupies. Thatd certainly make a more competitive platform from which to develop a WRC car too, as the current car is a bit of a barge.

Simon
Are you talking about the Impreza being modified to become smaller or a completely new car based on the technology of the current Impreza?

A smaller car does sound very interesting, just need to make sure a 400bhp flat four drops in nicely
Old 10 July 2005, 12:06 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I assume that it was a 'new' car but when you consider how small Subaru are compared to Toyota and such like, Im sure itll be evolution rather than revolution.

Simon
Old 10 July 2005, 12:15 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I assume that it was a 'new' car but when you consider how small Subaru are compared to Toyota and such like, Im sure itll be evolution rather than revolution.

Simon
LMAO

If you had half a pint of beer in your pint mug, would it be half full or half empty Simon?

If you answered: 'Neither. It meant it would soon be time for another round' you're on the right wavelength
Old 10 July 2005, 12:53 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

'Poor steering feel'

Not sure I get what you mean, I've always thought it's feedback and general response is good for a largeish car.

Also, what's new in the 06 Legacy, is it 'all' new like my dealer tried to tell me last week when I was trying to sell my 04?
Old 11 July 2005, 04:56 PM
Murrayf99
Scooby Regular

Whats with the "all new" punch line at motor dealers. Since when did a face lift and new cloth on the seats costitute ALL NEW?

Last edited by Murrayf99; 11 July 2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11 July 2005, 05:04 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
Simon, my sources have been saying for some time that the newer smaller WRC / hatchback wont actually be impreza badged, and that the impreza will be allowed to grow slightly in terms of dimensions / engine sizes etc without the constrictions of WRC regs.

However, I would be surprised if it used the legacy platform.
Old 11 July 2005, 05:10 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
'Poor steering feel'

Not sure I get what you mean, I've always thought it's feedback and general response is good for a largeish car.

Also, what's new in the 06 Legacy, is it 'all' new like my dealer tried to tell me last week when I was trying to sell my 04?
The steering wasn't bad for a car of its size. I can say that the MY06 is more than just a minor facelift, there are improvements, but whether one would describe it as an 'all new' car is definitely a matter of opinion. IMO, both the Legacy and Forester were great in MY05 form (although I preferred the larger engined versions), and subtle changes have made them even better. They've also decreased the number of variants to simplify matters.

Most of, if not all, the dealers have also seen the new models and that's probably what they are basing their comments on - not just boll.... sales talk.
Old 11 July 2005, 06:13 PM
eliot
Scooby Regular

I've just been shown some drawings of the proposed New 2007 Impreza

It looks very SAAB ish, but looks mean

The engine size will be 2.5ltr with an efficient 350bhp, which can be upgraded to 400bhp approx, via Prodrive (not sure how true this bit is - but doesn't sound unreasonable).

It will be approximately the same size but more coupe ish and with the RX8 suicide rear doors - yes its still a 4 door (wish they'd bring out a 2 door version).

Its all the info i have at the moment (and apologies if it turns out to be wrong), but will update when i have more

eliot