Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please can anyone tell me more information about the version II WRX STI Type RA ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 12:36 PM
matt_h76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please can anyone tell me more information about the version II WRX STI Type RA ?

Hi

I know basic info about the lightweight pre-1996 version II WRX STI Type RA (import), that it weighs 30kgs lighter than normal at 1170kg and has 275bhp and very close gears (with an 8500 rev limit). It also has forged pistons and a closed deck engine making it more reliable and tunable. The only performance specs I know is that the factory figure is 4.6seconds 0-60mph (the normal STI is quoted at 4.8 secs). However I understand the top speed is only about 120mhp due to the close gear ratios (but the car is more about acceleration). Japanese Performance magazine is currently running a monthly article in each issue where they tune a version II model over the next few months - this is where I found out about this lightweight model.

Does anyone own one of these cars or know where I can find more performance specs, such as more realistic figures like 0-100mph times or quarter mile times, and how this compares to the normal STI? I'm really trying to find out what it's mid range acceleration is like compared to a standard STI. I'm very interested in buying one fairly soon (mainly because it is much cheaper than a standard STI due to having far less options).

Thanks for any information.

Cheers

Matt
Old 09 July 2005, 12:43 PM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

Have you had a look here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#2.2

Good luck
Andy
Old 09 July 2005, 12:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Conversely; the STI Type-RA is now dearer to buy than the STI, despite having been a cheaper car new, much as a 1993 RA will sell for a lot more (and far more easily) than a 1993 WRX...

Imprezas arent really about top speed; if you drive an STI / STI Type-RA at 120mph it wont last long, forged pistons or not.

Simon
Old 09 July 2005, 01:30 PM
matt_h76
Scooby Newbie

Hi thanks for your replies. I've already tried the SIDC FAQ website without any luck I'm afraid... it only has limited performance stats for the Type RA, with no 0-100mph figures or mid-range acceleration stats.

I agree the car is not about top speed but more about acceleration. I'm surprised what you say about the STI RA prices. All the version 2 'normal' STI's seem on average £2k more than the version 2 STI RA's I've looked at. (I'm not looking at the non-STI WRX RA's). Interesting point though. Although I have been looking only stock at UK import companies and not private UK sellers. The imported cars (both STI and STI RAs are all UK road ready (MOT and SVA) etc.

Please let me know if anyone else has any information regarding my questions.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Matt

Last edited by matt_h76; 09 July 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09 July 2005, 01:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I havent looked closely at English prices for a while so I shouldnt really have commented, but Im confident that the prices dont differ by very much at auction in Japan though. In fact the day to day variations are far greater than that between the STI and the STI Type-RA..... £2,000 is equates to about £1,500 before duties or ¥288,000 which is a HUGE amount.... Theyre taking the ****.

Simon
Old 11 July 2005, 06:11 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Just bought one! Dont know a great deal about it yet but trying to learn as much as i can.
As for performance i haven't really given it a good blast yet, but first impressions are impressive.
When i bought it i arranged to take it over to Andy.F on my way home to let him have a look over it to see what he though engine wise. He offered to go out for a run with his det cans on and it was detting slightly when on full throttle in 5th once past 4k, optimax and octane booster.
It's ok up through the gears though (ecu seems to be able to correct it in lower gears) and it's with out a doubt the quickest thing i've ever owned, still has the cats in it and a pretty standard looking exhaust so once it's on the apexi with a decent exhaust etc i can only assume it's going to be even quicker.
Like i said im not even using full throttle at all just to be on the safe side until i get it sorted.
It wasn't too bad coming home on the motorway either managed 27mpg sitting at about 80 (4k) and because the exhuast is nice and quiet is was quite a pleasant trip.
Still get a big grin every time i hear that tdo5 spool up, wicked car get a good one and you wont be sorry just so long as you accept that it has it's limitations, but as far as im concerned it makes up for it the way it launches you out of corners and roundabouts!

Kenny
Old 11 July 2005, 08:42 PM
4ndy
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know its not the same year /spec but my 1999 Sti Ra is fookin ACE and I love talking about it LOL

Registered in jan 05 by myself.
Was standard bar cat back exhaust , JIC Suspension and BBS Alloys.
The thing that I must stress to you is not to run it on standard unleaded and use Optimax plus octane booster as Det is ever present on the STi.

A remap and decat down pipe was sorted and carried out in march 05 by scoobyclinic which gave me an extra 50 bhp and 47 lbs/ft . 325bhp and 304lbs/ft now on tap

Below are my recorded times at drag strips .

0-60 = 4.3 secs
0-100 = 10.0 secs
1/4 mile = 12.5 secs @ 100 mph
Top speed = 147 mph

http://www.showoffyourcar.com/galleries.asp?carid=1249

Good luck and ill keep an eye out for you
Old 11 July 2005, 08:55 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i have a MY95 sti ra 555 and love it!

all sti's from october 94 - august 95 are sti ra's so there shouldn't be a huge difference in price! they only made sti's as ra cars during this period!