Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prodrive Performance Package for STi, worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 05:30 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Prodrive Performance Package for STi, worth the money?

Hi,
Sorry if this question's already been asked somewhere else but I did search and didn't come up with anything.
Anyway I've got a 2004 '54 plate STi and am seriouosly considering the PPP. What I'd like to know is if it's worth getting? How much difference to the performance does it make? I've read all the stats but that doesn't mean a great deal to me, I want to know what it feels like behind the wheel.
I know it's free at the moment for new buyers but unfortunatley I've missed out on that deal.
I'm not interested in any other performance mods that may be superior to the PPP as I want to keep my warranty and threfore the PPP is the only way forward.
Any info would be great.
Cheers, snerkler
Old 13 June 2005, 05:39 PM
LeighF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down Dont do it!!

I would say keep the 2k until your warranty runs out then buy a 1/3 party package, more power/torque/ cheaper and just as reliable. Just had some mods done up at wrc-tech, got talking to a guy who originally had a ppp's STi, on the rolling road only got 280 odd bhp, needless to say he wasn't best pleased. Even wrc-tech guys told me they rarely see a PPP'd car that makes 290 let alone the 301 claimed by Subaru UK. If you are defo against mods, I'd spend the money on some proper track/fast road driving tuition, it will do more in terms of drivinf than a measly 20bhp. Would be interested to hear from anyone with a ppp who has had it on a rolling road and had it anywhere near 301bhp.
Old 13 June 2005, 05:47 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by LeighF
I would say keep the 2k until your warranty runs out then buy a 1/3 party package, more power/torque/ cheaper and just as reliable. Just had some mods done up at wrc-tech, got talking to a guy who originally had a ppp's STi, on the rolling road only got 280 odd bhp, needless to say he wasn't best pleased. Even wrc-tech guys told me they rarely see a PPP'd car that makes 290 let alone the 301 claimed by Subaru UK. If you are defo against mods, I'd spend the money on some proper track/fast road driving tuition, it will do more in terms of drivinf than a measly 20bhp. Would be interested to hear from anyone with a ppp who has had it on a rolling road and had it anywhere near 301bhp.
If the PPP's installed and it doesn't reach the 305BHP as quoted by Subaru can't you get your money back on the grounds of false advertising or something along those lines?
How much does it cost to have your car tested on a rolling road and where would I find one?
Cheers, snerkler
Old 13 June 2005, 05:59 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Speaking as a new Sti with PPP owner I would say the PPP is worth it's weight in Gold.

I love it !!!!

I really noticed the difference from my previous Scoob without PPP.
Old 13 June 2005, 06:12 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LeighF
I had mine installed in 2003 and got 295, which i was annoyed with considering they quoted 301, but know it seems that actually 295 was good compared to others. I have since had re-maps and added further mods under the hood and have around 345 quick actually cost me less that the PPP - its all down to waranty in my eyes, if you want to keep wananty then PPP is the only way to go, once it runs out then you can go for it.. IMHO though the PP did make a big difference over the standard STI as it made it more driveable for starters in traffic, plus the power increase is certainly a good one..
J
Old 13 June 2005, 06:25 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Just to split hairs don't forget it's actually quoted at 301 PS which is equivalent to approx 297 bhp

Bhp being approx 98.6% of PS figures....how sad is it of me to know that
Old 13 June 2005, 06:37 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Worth every penny in terms of driveability and fun factor!
Old 13 June 2005, 06:48 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yes it is worth it

Chip
Old 13 June 2005, 07:05 PM
LeighF
Scooby Regular

Wink FAO Snerkler

I don't doubt the driveability factor of PPP as it is a common point most people who own PPP make, however I can safely say same about 3rd party mods like wrc-tech, the car is much better low down and it is defo quicker than a PPP. As to whether you could go back to Subaru and get your money back if it didn't make the 301ps (297bhp) i am sure that somehwere in the smallprint it probably states that figures may vary from car to car. May be worth asking the question before you buy, however i would get the answer in writing, dealers being dealers!! As for rolling road, depends where you live but seem to be plenty spread around country, I don't know how much a dyno run costs as mine was all in a package. Mine started with 256bhp, 262 lb ft torque before mods. Can't imagine it being more than £80-100.

But as the man says, if you want a warranty then you have not got much choice, unless you take out a 3rd party warranty??
Old 13 June 2005, 07:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power figure quoted is 305ps which is 300bhp, if you put the car on a rolling road and it only gets say, 289bhp, the reason is that its dropping back the power to save the engine due to high inlet temps, most other 3rd party packages wont have this, plus you also get the sports cat with the STi PPP, and for what its worth, ive seen PPP'd cars with just under 330bhp, with just the PPP!

Tony
Old 13 June 2005, 07:11 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

any one actually compared/driven a sti ppp and a sti with 3rd party package
Old 13 June 2005, 07:22 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The power figure quoted is 305ps which is 300bhp, if you put the car on a rolling road and it only gets say, 289bhp, the reason is that its dropping back the power to save the engine due to high inlet temps, most other 3rd party packages wont have this, plus you also get the sports cat with the STi PPP, and for what its worth, ive seen PPP'd cars with just under 330bhp, with just the PPP!

Tony
Hi Tony,
I'm not too clued up on how cars run so I'd just like to clarify what you said. As I understand it you're saying that the PPP will give you 300bhp in ideal running conditions but it won't always show this on a rolling road because the engine/exhaust sytem get's too hot and so the engine management system cuts the power back. Am I right?
Why don't Subaru dealers just have a demo car with the PPP fitted so people like myself can take it for a spin before forking out 2k?
Cheers, Toby
Old 13 June 2005, 07:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do have PPP'd cars, but at the moment i think they are a little thin on the ground, and the other downside is that you dont really feel the benefit of the PPP until the car has some decent miles under its belt (they use to recommend 10k before fitting).
Have a hunt around, one of the dealers will have a PPP'd STi

Tony
Old 13 June 2005, 08:03 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Definetly worthwhile. Without PPP the STi is hard work to drive with PPP it's wonderful. It's not just the low down pull which is totally missing without PPP but it also pulls harder and stronger through to the red line. The PPP should have been on from day 1, it was presumably left off so the STi could pass all the emissions bollocks from the EU. Do it!

As for rolling road figures what do you expect? You go to a tuning place and say I've just £2k with Prodrive instead of spending my money with you. Can you check and see if I've made the right decision? A rolling road can say whatever the operator wants it to say.

Where do you think Prodrive get their 305ps figure? From a rolling road of course, one they choose and operate. Why do you choose to believe one figure but not the other?
Old 15 June 2005, 08:27 AM
LeighF
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cos dealers/ manufacturers have got more of a reason to stretch the truth (fuel figures!!) Also lot of people just do rolling road to figure out what they have got with no intention of spending cash on increasing power. Hands up for who trusts dealers/ manufacturers??
Old 15 June 2005, 09:07 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I got 285bhp out of my standard MY03 STi at a rolling road day at the begining of the year. This is without PPP.

Note also that PPP makes the car more drivable (so I have been told) and is not neccessarily about peak horse power.
Old 15 June 2005, 09:22 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
any one actually compared/driven a sti ppp and a sti with 3rd party package
i have: Drive a PPP STI and have raced and driven a tsl 333 car.

the car pulls much harder lower down, and for longer up the rev range, just feels stronger all over.

The car does feel different, although the pace is only really noticable above 60mph and when put side by side (or infront and behind) with a regular PPP.

for warrenty issues im keeping my PPP, the lack of warrenty for a meer 30bhp is not worth it. Although when warrenty runs out i will consider
Old 15 June 2005, 10:16 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

ppp is worth getting
Old 15 June 2005, 11:34 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

PPP is definitely worth getting if you want the warranty to remain intack. After all your talking about a £25k car here. It really does transform the car, in the way it drives and performs. I can't beleve that people run there cars without to be honest. The standard STi is really peeky.

But saying that I have had both sides of the cherry. My first STi I had modded by Scooby Sports with a full de-cat and re-map by Pat and yes it really made a big differance, but after that I had a 04 Sti with PPP and 2b honest there wasn't much in it.
The MY05 PPP does feel stronger but the exhaust sounds a bit muted as I remember the 04 maybe it's just me.
Old 15 June 2005, 11:34 AM
gazzared_typer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Go for the PPP

I would say it's worth it. I had it converted at the 1K service. At first it felt very liitle different, but now (with 2.5k) it feels faster, and for normal road driving feels just right. The warranty issue is a big plus in my mind. WRC also do an upgrade on the PPP for £1.5k so roll on March 2008
Old 15 June 2005, 12:42 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Well said Chelspeed, plus another major fact to consider is that Prodrive are responsible for the car that consistently wins World Rally Championships, year after year, and there products are tested under very many extreme driving conditions.So they must be doing something right!
Old 15 June 2005, 02:37 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

For me the test is nothing to do with sticking a car on the rolling road and straining every last HP sinew out of it. Hardly a true measure of how 90% of users on here will drive their car on a day to day basis is it ?

The simple answer from me having got PPP I'd never buy another Scooby without it.