Sponsored by:

write off or cash?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 05:23 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default write off or cash?

Mods - please give this a few hours here cause i need an answer and won't get exposure in "insurance."

I'll be brief, old dear scraped her motor down the side of my old diesel run around sierra at the weekend whilst it was parked. Bodyshops are quoting around £900 to repair it, though one said he could do it for £450 with s/h parts but not through insurance. All said they thought car would be written off.

So which option is gonna be best for me do you think? (I have no experience with this kinda thing at all.)

1, Ask her for the £450 cash. Keep the car.
2, Claim through her insurance and try to keep the car (its only cosmetic damage!) + Payout
3, Claim through her insurance and let em take the car and get another runaround? (It's done 115k, the heater doesn't work and it has no PAS!)

Is this possible to do? I'm phoning her tonight with result of quotations so what should i do? Oh and she is a right old bag and never even said she did it. I had to go over road and confront her, only after i said i had photos of damage to her car and mine did she bloody admit it!

Cheers
Ritchie.
Old 13 June 2005, 05:32 PM
RIGPIG
Scooby Regular

Has to be No 3 ..!
Old 13 June 2005, 05:34 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

As she is been an old bag, calculate which is going to cost her pocket the most - the hike in her insurance due to a claim or the £450 cash ? Leaning toward the cash (+ your extra ~ £100) option but I image she will go for the insurance !

Richard
Old 13 June 2005, 05:39 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

She is wanting to avoid the insurance cause she is bloody old and i think she's worried that they won't insure her if she makes a claim. Though I am sure she has no idea how much damage she did. She really shouldn't be on the road. If they were to write the car off what sort of figure am i looking at?

Ritchie.
Old 13 June 2005, 05:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not as much as you could have got selling the car private.

If its just a runaround, take the cash load it up a bit, if she really is an old bag then play on her fear a bit.

Arnt we nasty buggers
Old 13 June 2005, 05:50 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Not as much as you could have got selling the car private.

If its just a runaround, take the cash load it up a bit, if she really is an old bag then play on her fear a bit.

Arnt we nasty buggers
I think the cash option may be preferable cause not sure what insurance companies value these old workhorse type motors at? Prob bugger all.

+it is a solid reliable motor with good MPG for the commute.
Old 13 June 2005, 06:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

You have answered your own question then.

What is it by the way.?

Cookie
Old 13 June 2005, 06:06 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

You have answered your own question then.

What is it by the way.?

Cookie
What sort of pay out the insurance company would give in the event of writing off the car due to uneconomical repair and in that event also if i were to keep the car what deduction/offset would be made?
Sorry, thought that was clear.

Ritchie
Old 13 June 2005, 06:08 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Location: somewhere having fun after mapped by jollygreenmonster
Thumbs up

go for the cash m8 if you claim on her insurence you still end up having it on your history no point in claiming i learnt that
Old 13 June 2005, 06:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear..

when i said "what is it by the way" i was questioning your choice of oil burner?

,,,,,,,,,, and here have a few of these, it would appear you have run out.

What are you leaning towards? Are you gonna take the cash or GAMBLE
Cookie
Old 13 June 2005, 06:29 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrjud
you still end up having it on your history no point in claiming i learnt that
Have to agree with this. I've been hit twice in 3 years with blame being aportioned to the other driver. I still have to 'DECLARE' this when getting insurance quotes and it bumps up the quotes I get with some companies
Old 13 June 2005, 06:45 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Cookie, post number 1 line number 2. That is why I assumed you were being sarcastic. Perhaps reading the text and not spell checking etc may be more productive, thanks for the tips though.

I truly didn't think it would affect my insurance if I am not to blame? If thats the case then I'll try to push for the cash but I suppose ultimately it's up to her.

Ritchie.
Old 13 June 2005, 06:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Blimey i actually read that twice looking for make of car, but missed it both times. My fault sorry.

Dont take things too seriously mate, just trying to have a laugh

Cookie
Old 13 June 2005, 06:54 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Blimey i actually read that twice looking for make of car, but missed it both times. My fault sorry.

Dont take things too seriously mate, just trying to have a laugh

Cookie

No probs mate, made me smile if i'm honest.

So the question remains, anyone had an old runabout written off? What kinda settlement do they give in situations like this and what will it cost to keep the car as well?

Ritchie.
Old 13 June 2005, 07:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
Have to agree with this. I've been hit twice in 3 years with blame being aportioned to the other driver. I still have to 'DECLARE' this when getting insurance quotes and it bumps up the quotes I get with some companies
That's because you are a higher risk.

It's unfair of course as I assume you had done nothing wrong apart from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, an unlucky driver is more of a risk than a lucky one so insurance companies love the excuse to get more money out of you.
Old 13 June 2005, 07:43 PM
black scoobs
Scooby Regular

put it on e bay someone will buy it
Old 13 June 2005, 08:00 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

go see her and take the money, i just bruoght the wife a minter of a 205 f reg 41000miles 1 lady and it was a bargin for 250 quids init, so that would leave you with 200squid to either get pished or ermm dont know of anything else so get pished.
thats my way of thinking anyway LOL
Old 13 June 2005, 11:07 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Yeah.. Go knock on her door and drive her down to the nearest cashpoint. Then stand over her while she takes the money out of her savings account and then give her a quid back for a bus home.

Seriously, be very careful about tapping her up for the cash especially if you're not going to get the repair done. If I thought my nan had been intimidated into handing over £450 for a ****ty diesel Sierra I'd be round for a visit.
Old 14 June 2005, 12:33 AM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

What he said. I'd go for the option that saves you both a load of hassle. I know that she's in the wrong and is a bit old but we'll all be like that one day. Treat others as you would like to be treated and all that.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ben

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Yeah.. Go knock on her door and drive her down to the nearest cashpoint. Then stand over her while she takes the money out of her savings account and then give her a quid back for a bus home.

Seriously, be very careful about tapping her up for the cash especially if you're not going to get the repair done. If I thought my nan had been intimidated into handing over £450 for a ****ty diesel Sierra I'd be round for a visit.
Old 14 June 2005, 09:07 AM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap

Believe me I have no intention whatsoever of intimidating the old bag. I might be slagging her off here but would never behave like that in "real life."

The fact does remain though that she never said a word about it, though i watched her do it outta the window. Wondered if she would come over and say anything and when i realised she wouldn't i approached her. Then of course we had the big denial routine, then the "well its old anyway" like that matters. If it was the other way around I bet it would have been dramasville with the police round and everything.

So the results of last night are she wants to see the written quotation for herself and then decide. Suits me fine but what did do my head in was the clever old bat went out yesterday to the local ford dealers and found out what they would value the car at. £70, laughed my **** off.

I reckon if we claim through her insurance she will prob suffer the most next year come renewal time - if they cover her at all.

All well and good taking the, poor old granny, lets be christians to each other routine but i reckon i'd be doing a civic duty getting the old cow off the road. Could be someones kid she rams next time???

Ritchie.
Old 14 June 2005, 09:55 AM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

That's also true, have been the victim of granny attack and know how you feel, I suppose I just feel sorry for the old buggers!

Ben

Originally Posted by Ritch96
Believe me I have no intention whatsoever of intimidating the old bag. I might be slagging her off here but would never behave like that in "real life."

The fact does remain though that she never said a word about it, though i watched her do it outta the window. Wondered if she would come over and say anything and when i realised she wouldn't i approached her. Then of course we had the big denial routine, then the "well its old anyway" like that matters. If it was the other way around I bet it would have been dramasville with the police round and everything.

So the results of last night are she wants to see the written quotation for herself and then decide. Suits me fine but what did do my head in was the clever old bat went out yesterday to the local ford dealers and found out what they would value the car at. £70, laughed my **** off.

I reckon if we claim through her insurance she will prob suffer the most next year come renewal time - if they cover her at all.

All well and good taking the, poor old granny, lets be christians to each other routine but i reckon i'd be doing a civic duty getting the old cow off the road. Could be someones kid she rams next time???

Ritchie.
Old 14 June 2005, 10:48 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ritch96

Ritchie.
I actually agree with you 100% mate. It was just getting a bit 'Rogue Trader' for me. I too have been the victim of Granny accident and although it was entirely her fault I ended up surrounded by onlookers telling me to give her a break and suchlike just because she was old. My MR2 was wasted all down one side because she was driving in thick fog with no lights on in her Rover.