Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2000, 08:56 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Just got back from trax- what a great day!
Many thanks to everyone who had plenty of advice to offer including one chap who I dicovered was Stef - top bloke.

ps The 0-60 runs were bit slow imprezza wise why's that?
Old 10 September 2000, 09:57 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Stef? Top bloke?

You must be thinking of the wrong guy...

RE: Impreza's and **** 0-60 times. In order to get a respectable time from an Impreza, you really have to cane the nuts off of it, and in doing so, kill the clutch, gearbox, transmission etc...

The 0-60 sprint area was quite grippy, the hot day made it even more so. You will find 0-60 times for the impreza are faster in the wet, where some traction can be broken, or at places like Santa Pod where you can break traction v easily.

The day itself was awesome, if a little too Max Powery. The 15 minute tracktime was a joy. Silverstone is a really smooth track and it was a pleasure putting on a show in the evo at the S's. Such an ideal location for full on power oversteer. A few choice idiots on track that really did defy belief. Some of the stunts that they were pulling were simply unreal, unfortunatly, one of these brought the scooby session to an early finish. But the general standard of driving was very good I thought and it was a pleasant change to be racing with a pack of different cars.

Imprezas, as ever, always the biggest crowd pullers, on the track sessions, the crowd multyplied, then everyone disapeared as soon as the scoobies came off.

Looking forward to donnington already!

Cem

[This message has been edited by Blow Dog (edited 10 September 2000).]
Old 10 September 2000, 10:11 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Top day on track too

DJ

Old 10 September 2000, 10:21 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Indeed top day, the weather was Brilllllliiiant!!!!!!!!.

Hi DocJock- It was nice to put a face to the name.

Muddy.
Old 10 September 2000, 10:27 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

This is for all those that left early.

On the last Track session of the day 5pm, an R reg Mercedes E36-agm Decided to play with the gravel at copse corner and rolled it!!!!.

Had a look at it when it was towed in, not a pretty sight. I would say a write-off, roof caved in, front end a bit mangled, windows smashed.

Even if he had trackday insurance I don't think it will cover this bill !!!!!!!!!.

Me thinks that they will have to do some kind of coverup.

This is why I was a bit slow on track today!!!.

Muddy.

Old 11 September 2000, 12:20 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi Peeps.
Glad to hear you all had a good time.
I'm sorry that some people felt the track etiquette was not always of a high standard (I hope I didn't upset anyone?), but I felt the sessions were simply too crowded and often felt like a procession due to the lack of willingness of people to move over.
I personally only wanted thirty cars in each session, but it was decided by someone to fill them up with forty cars .
I am sorry if this spoilt it for some people, but other than that it seemed a great day was had by all. I felt very nervous with it being my first event and all, but you all soon put my mind at rest with your support on the day.
I know it was a pain when the second session was stopped early, but unfortunately that's what sometimes happens, as was proven again by some muppet in the third session!
Fortunately, this one was allowed to continue so I didn't get too much flak!
I had a great tussle with the Supra's in the following session and probably ruffled a few feathers, as their etiquette was appalling so I had to resort to their tactics to get anywhere.
Next year, we'll be there bigger and better.
I'm hoping to get perhaps 200 Scoobs there and have at least SIX sessions , maximum of thirty cars per session and perhaps even a couple of them exclusively for first-timers or those with less track experience. What do you think?
Look out for my report in a future issue of 'True Grip'.
I look forward to seeing some of you at Brands, and keep your eyes peeled for the announcement of an upcoming day at Donington....it's going to be something special.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 11 September 2000).]
Old 11 September 2000, 10:29 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Was a good day yesterday, but I was a little disappointed with the track sessions. I was lucky to go on all 3 sessions, but for those who could only manage the second session (which was about 2 laps) I empathise.

Session 1 started well (I followed Doc Jock for most of it), but became a mass precession – being in an SIDC only group, I was expecting a high standard of driving – well I was disappointed – it was made clear in the briefing to move over and let cars passed – on the left – but several drivers wouldn’t move over at all. Obviously there was a range of drivers, some new to the track, some wanting to show the crowd what a scoob can do, but I think most were stuck behind others for most of the sessions. It seemed that as soon as you passed one driver, then queued on the left to overtake the next, the driver you just passed would overtake you on the inside (the right) – ahhhhhhhh!

At least we were let out again after session 3 was stopped, even if only for a couple of laps – and the weather was nice!

Looking forward to Brands now.

PS - sorry for being grumpy - flame coat on
Old 11 September 2000, 11:04 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Smile

If you want to see piccys of the Merc (who almost tangled with one of the FTO owners club people), check out his site at
Old 11 September 2000, 11:13 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with Triggar some 'interesting' driving from various Scoobs that thought they were faster than everyone else and thus had the right to over/under take.

Loads of cars overtook me at full pelt on the 1st session AFTER the chequered flag was out.

I just let the idiots past!

Greg
Old 11 September 2000, 11:13 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great time indeed - good to catch up with a lot of familiar faces!

AP's were fantastic but the SO2's went off very quickly (2 or 3 laps). I was gutted that session 2 ended early, still it could have happened to any of us - hope the car involved was OK.

The highlight for me was Rob Mac powersliding the the 22B - I was 2 cars behind and it looked fantastic - so impressive that I almost forgot to take the corner myself

Left about 2.00pm so missed the third session - Stef, nothing serious I hope.

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 11 September 2000, 11:17 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

It was my first time at Trax and unfortunately I was on the second session. I couldn't believe it when I saw the red lights after the 3rd lap, then when I was slowing under the reds I was overtaken!

I know it gets exiting out there and the discipline deteriorates but it did seem like it was a free for all with anything goes. A 22B blasted past me on the very first bend when I thought we were supposed to take it easy and warm up.

I expected better from an all scooby session.

But even with my short time on track, it was blummin good fun and I must do it again.

F

Old 11 September 2000, 11:36 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I too saw RobMac powersliding the 22B from the grandstands - it was truly awesome, and the crowd cheered big time. The flame-spittng EVO was pretty popular also, although I don't think the guy following him thought so.

I was in session 3, and although it was cut short, I really enjoyed it, although my **** was twitching braking for the 2nd gear corner at the end of the back straight before before entering the complex.

Top day out!
Old 11 September 2000, 11:47 AM
TonyB
Scooby Regular

I agree,

Crap Circuit etiquette demonstrated by some people who should know better.

From what I saw, there were lots of first timers out there, and I tried to give them lots of room and consideration. Some people didnt give a Sh~t however, and were overtaking on bends, 3 abreast and on both sides. Not on chaps, remember the first time you ever went on a track?

Otherwise, despite not getting much track time to learn it, the International circuit was great, and so different in style to the GP circuit - much more frantic.

Most bowel-loosening experience? - Barrelling into Copse, getting a little Squirrelly at the Apex and coming across a cloud of Tyre smoke and dust, through which I could just make out a certain green MY98 buried in the gravel, with the driver looking sheepishly back to where he had just been!

At least they let us out again, thanks if anyone had a hand in making that happen.

Tony
Old 11 September 2000, 11:49 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Hi

Was deff. an enjoyable day!

I was in sessions 2 & 3, couldn't believe the 2nd session - just when i was getting to know the track!

3rd session was better but still anoying. Especially when i have backed off because because of the red lights - to find someone flying past me on the right hand side ! and then there are people that refuse to look in their mirrors and let you overtake (Procession time)

Even so it was still a very enjoyable day !

I have deff. now got the bug!

The Fast Car stand was quite interesting though especially the waterfight .....!

James

had a run in with a few Cosworth owners on the way down(M1) - they really are quite a sad bunch - sitting 2 feet off my bumper just so that i can hear their dumpvalve, and another one who kept overtaking and then lettimg me pass and then overtaking again?
Old 11 September 2000, 02:18 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Stef,
It was a good day, and your efforts for organising it were appreciated - if not your choice of parking space in the 3rd session - could have happened to any of us.

I'm mainly interested for going on track (rather than watching/looking at stereos in the back of Renault5Turbos) and I'm not sure I'd want to go again - unless we do as you suggested! 6 sessions, some reserved for those who want to go fast, some for those who want to go slow, and 30 cars a session! That would be great - the whole day costs a fair bit (breaks, fuel etc) and so I wouldn't mind paying more per session to have more of the track to myself. I was a bit guilty of putting presure on those in front of me - 1st session I warmed up first lap, but after getting involved in the precession, I went from the off on the next sessions - sorry.

PS - Did you do the sprint I gave you? If so, what time?
Old 11 September 2000, 02:36 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Whilst Trax 2000 was interesting, would it not be better to book Silverstone purely as an SIDC day?

cheers,

Greg
Old 11 September 2000, 02:49 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The SIDc is nowhere near large enough to warrant booking Silverstone to ourselves, at least not yet.
The RSOC have only just started using it, and they have over 10,000 members.
Besides, I personally don't feel it is a great Scooby track.
Somewhere like Donington would suit us much better, and plans are already being drawn up for the inaugural SIDC National Day.
Events like TRAX are excellent for getting the club into the public eye, and the public love them.
That's why we'll be back next year.

Trig.
No, didn't get round to it unfortunately. Sounds like the Scoobs didn't do too well there either.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 11 September 2000).]
Old 11 September 2000, 06:31 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Top day out at my first SIDC meeting.

Nice to finally put some faces to names.

See you all again soon.

David.

PS Is anyone interested in setting up a monthly meeting in the West Wales/South Wales area. Tried this suggestion on the 22B BBS and got 1 reply . Are there that few imprezas in the area ?
Old 12 September 2000, 01:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

It has come to my attention that I myself along with a few others may have overtaken some of you after the chequered flag had been waved in session 1.
I would like to point out that this was completely unintentional as I genuinely did not see it.
The first red flag I saw was actually half-way round the circuit, and I thought someone had gone off. I was a bit peeved that I cvouldn't do a full cool down lap.
I really must pay more attention.
Apologies to anyone I upset during this.

Stef.