Sponsored by:

Charge cooler working a treat

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 08:53 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge cooler working a treat

Had a chance to test out the effectiveness in the moderate heat we've had recently.

I have the new TSL charge cooler, lovely bit of kit and works fantastically. The rad fills the whole lower bumper aperture sitting about an inch back from the edge. Had lots of questions on what it is; '..too small to be an FMIC so what is it...?'

Anyone else out there got one? I know several people were booked in, although mine was the first ever bugeye and WRX to get one fitted!

Could post piccies if I knew how?
Old 05 June 2005, 08:58 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

a different car but i had one on my series one rs turbo a few years back but it was a pace one, all i can say is what a wicked bit of kit, whatever the weather the car still went as well as it did if it was a damp autumn morning!! charge coolers are excellent for a turbo car.
Old 05 June 2005, 09:08 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

I'll second that, the flow rate must have been improved too against the old intercooler as throttle response is much better and smoother. They also look totally trick when popping the bonnet, beautifully fabricated alloy parts by docking at silverstone!

Does anyone have the Pace kit? How are they getting on?

I know that its based on the originally co-developed kit with TSL until they parted. TSL made several big changes to their kit to improve efficiency. I wondered how people had been getting on?

The water pump TSL install is a phenominal little thing, you should see the power it churns out when taking the cap off the reservoir tank!

Performance of an FMIC without the lag...Lovely!
Old 05 June 2005, 09:12 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

one question, how much and where from?

Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo2
Had a chance to test out the effectiveness in the moderate heat we've had recently.

I have the new TSL charge cooler, lovely bit of kit and works fantastically. The rad fills the whole lower bumper aperture sitting about an inch back from the edge. Had lots of questions on what it is; '..too small to be an FMIC so what is it...?'

Anyone else out there got one? I know several people were booked in, although mine was the first ever bugeye and WRX to get one fitted!

Could post piccies if I knew how?
Old 05 June 2005, 09:18 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

They are 1295 plus the dreaded and a few hours to fit. Not cheap but in my opinion a lot more for your hard earned than an FMIC. On top of that it uses original fittings and doesn't require any bumper cutting etc. TSL in Nottingham designed and make the kit, although Docking do all the alloy bits (big name there!) and Samco have made the hoses.

I live close to TSL and saw this kit developed from conception to end product and saw all the testing they went to optimising the kit, was very impressed and hence was about 2nd/3rd in line for having one of the first kits put on.
Old 06 June 2005, 05:16 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

have to say it does look the dog's but a bit expensive unfortunately
martin
Old 06 June 2005, 05:36 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
have to say it does look the dog's but a bit expensive unfortunately
martin
Unfortunately, it has taken nearly a year of development - and that costs. These TSL ones are top quality kits and I'm sure that there will be a number of rip-offs on ebay before too long.

If money is not a major concern, then these really do the trick.
Old 06 June 2005, 06:26 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Highlander,

Do you have one of these kits on your car? Like you said, quality cooler, and I don't mind paying a bit extra when I know it's for a reason!
Old 06 June 2005, 06:29 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo2
Highlander,

Do you have one of these kits on your car? Like you said, quality cooler, and I don't mind paying a bit extra when I know it's for a reason!
I don't have one of these kits, but was at TSL when Graham was fitting one to his car. I had a real close look at the quality of this one. In comparison to 'another' one I have seen the TSL one knocks spots off it.
Old 06 June 2005, 06:58 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highlander68k
I don't have one of these kits, but was at TSL when Graham was fitting one to his car. I had a real close look at the quality of this one. In comparison to 'another' one I have seen the TSL one knocks spots off it.
Do you need to have the car re-mapped after? As i have their 333 conversion and i was going to have a FMIC and Gavin said i would need to re-map my STI for optimum power etc...
Old 06 June 2005, 07:38 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Is that the sort of hybrid looking one?. I saw one on their website and it looks like it's part interwarmer part chargecooler. Seems weird they didn't just do complete chargecooler
Old 06 June 2005, 08:27 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think they were fitted by Subaru to the aerly Legacy's. They switched to air/air intercoolers as they were cheaper.

Very rare though.