Sponsored by:

type ra performance

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2005, 07:27 PM
m4rk rs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type ra performance

hi all...ive been offered a early type ra which has the 240bhp engine...does anyone know what sort of performance these offer? 0-60? top speed? my last 3 cars have been 2 350 bhp cosworth sierras and a 350bhp skyline and if this type ra offered the same sort of performance up to 100 mph i would be very interested...any input appreciated

regards mark
Old 03 June 2005, 07:47 PM
boost junky 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m4rk rs
hi all...ive been offered a early type ra which has the 240bhp engine...does anyone know what sort of performance these offer? 0-60? top speed? my last 3 cars have been 2 350 bhp cosworth sierras and a 350bhp skyline and if this type ra offered the same sort of performance up to 100 mph i would be very interested...any input appreciated

regards mark
I read that the later ra's will hit 60 in 4.5 secs an do around 135mph top end, think its down to very short gearing. They also have dccd and i/c warter spray. Not sure if the earlyer ones are the same. Out of interest what skyline did u have mate ? What are they like to drive?
Old 05 June 2005, 05:14 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

It will not feel as quick as either of the below cars - get the sti for 0-60 in close to 4 seconds. Motorway journeys become a bit of a chore though...it's a street racer.

Originally Posted by m4rk rs

regards mark
Old 05 June 2005, 05:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My mate has a standard MY96 Type RA, and it felt much quicker then my 300bhp turbo 2000 I used to own, the close ratio gearing makes it feel much quicker as you put your foot down and your through the gears in a matter of seconds, and as pabs said motorway driving can be a bit of a chore, as my mate was on the M6 the otherday and reckons he could only get about 118mph max out of it cant remember the exact speed but I nearly laughed, could imagine Clios and corsa's passing him. But i would say the Type RA is one of the best impreza ive been in for quick blasts on the country roads.
Old 05 June 2005, 08:33 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have a MY93 WRX-RA, with a reasonably new engine a few mods & a Quaiffe gearbox, it goes like stink of the mark.

Chased a couple of streetfighters last weekend upto & around 100mph, stuck to them like glue to their & my amazment.

300bhp and 0-60mph an easy 4 seconds, it's mind blowing & not at full boost yet after mods.....

motorway is a bit of a bind, but who cares there's not much will match this off the mark.

Go for it, but be warned they are costly......

PNB
Old 05 June 2005, 11:07 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, what parts are you finding expensive? Or do you just mean fuel economy-wise?

Originally Posted by pnbond007
I have a MY93 WRX-RA, with a reasonably new engine a few mods & a Quaiffe gearbox, it goes like stink of the mark.

Chased a couple of streetfighters last weekend upto & around 100mph, stuck to them like glue to their & my amazment.

300bhp and 0-60mph an easy 4 seconds, it's mind blowing & not at full boost yet after mods.....

motorway is a bit of a bind, but who cares there's not much will match this off the mark.

Go for it, but be warned they are costly......

PNB
Old 06 June 2005, 08:35 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Since I've had the work carried out my MPG is very very good, considering the return in BHP. I covered 120 miles on Saturday including putting my foot down on the odd occasion & still have just below 3/4 of a tank of fuel, prior to engine work & mods I'de be lucky to get 150 miles out of a tank full...

Cost is dependant on Engineer, I choose to use a very reputable name which is my choice. Some people may say I'm throwing money away, however I demand quality engineering & trust, the guy's I use are absolute quality, though there are many others out there.

Originally my motor went in for MOT, 6.5k later which again was my choice it's now the beast it is, keeping the standard look with quite a suprise for the general traffic light straight line drag boy.

Next year the plan is to sprint/hill climb the car, the roads are not the place for putting this car through it's paces, so I choose to use the car for what it's originally built for, competition, not to win just to have fun.

I really need to run it at Santa Pod, to get some idea of real power & 1/4 mile times & speeds, may be later on this year.....

By an RA, you'll get cheesed off with the motorway, however with the right box there's not much gonna catch you.

Classics rock

PNB
Old 06 June 2005, 09:54 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

They are spectacularly quick to 60, but a total ball ache to live with on a daily basis. Top speed you are looking at a realistic 125 mph without vapourising the engine.

Motorways are frustrating,as are encounters with cars and bikes which are blessed with less acceleration but higher top speeds! You thrash them, then they thrash you!.