Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sti w/ PPP in three weeks, but...

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 10:47 PM
Fett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sti w/ PPP in three weeks, but...

I finally crumbled and the new STi should be with me in three weeks. But I'm hoping somebody can help a n00b out.

I've read/lurked for the past few weeks to bring me up to speed on the Impreza, and have noticed a few comments that indicate the PPP is fitted during the 1000 mile service. Somebody even mentioned it was fitted after 3000 miles, so as not to damage the engine.

My dealer told me the PPP is fitted just before I take delivery, on a factory fresh car. So I'll be running it in *with* the PPP fitted.

As I obviously don't want to bork the engine, should I insist on waiting until the first service?

Any help/advice and anyone with experience of buying a new STi with the PPP (and letting me know when it was fitted) would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers,

James
Old 25 May 2005, 10:56 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Differing views tbh but Mike Wood from Prodrive has stated on here that in his view it's fine to fit from new as it helps in keeping the revs below 4000 during running in due to improved driveability at low revs..

Good enough in my book

Last edited by Bartop; 25 May 2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:31 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally i would want it fitted after a couple of k so i can feel the difference
Old 26 May 2005, 08:49 AM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt worry.

I had a new 03STi without PPP that was a pig to run in, and have just picked up a new 05STi with PPP, thats way better and easier to run, as per the Mike Wood note.

dont see how it 'damages' the engine - dont forget the WR1 had a 320bhp PPP fitted from new.

4000revs is 4000revs, PPP or not!

Andy.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:19 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Personal opinion is with Brun on this one - I had it fitted to my WRX from new, and did regret it later.

The Scooby can give you the bug for modding, helped by this great site and others. So, you pick up your fantastic new STI with PPP fitted from new. Six months later (or sooner?) you think, this is nice but I'm used to the power now, I want a little extra.... not without affecting the warranty. You're restricted to suspension/brake upgrades etc. which not everyone wants to do (although just as valuable as power upgrades in my book).

My approach now would be to get it fitted ideally at the 1000 service or sometime around that. Gives you some time to bed the car in, get used to the performance and then get a whole chunk more of smiles per gallon after a service. So you 'feel' the benefit and difference for your outlay.

But, utlitmately, either way it's gonna be a tidy motor!
Old 26 May 2005, 09:22 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

something to look forward too!
Old 26 May 2005, 11:26 AM
Ridge Racer
Scooby Regular

yep i would , actually am , have it fitted after at least the first service . no reason apart from preference
Old 26 May 2005, 11:46 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Had an Sti from new with PPP fitted.

Didn't stick to the 4000 limit, varied the revs right through the range especially during motorway driving , and being careful not to let the car to labour in any gear.

The world didn't end either.
Old 26 May 2005, 12:50 PM
Fett
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your replies. Seems it's a matter of personal preference and if Mike Wood says it's fine to fit from new , well, that's one paranoid episode over.

Now to worry about how to break it in...#

Thanks all.