Sponsored by:

Number plates stolen from my scooby today

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 07:23 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Number plates stolen from my scooby today

Both my number plates were stolen from my scooby today in a public car park.
I reported it to the police straight away and got a crime report number.
They said that I need to contact DVLA also and give them the crime report number.

Does this happen often to scoobies?. I have had mine for 2 years now with no incidents up till now. Are they taken to put on a stolen car?

I tried the DVLA phone number (0870 240 0010) and of course none of the recorded telephone menus are relevent to my situation and can I get to talk to a real person? no. Sigh.

Does anyone know how I can contact a real person at DVLA? or do I even need to now the police know and I have a crime number?

Any feedback or advice would be most welcome.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:30 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

i would say your plates were most definetly stolen to put onto a stolen car. just be prepared for speeding tickets, parking tickets etc coming through the post. You did the right thing reporting it to the police straight away at least you are covered a little bit now.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:36 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Journeyman
Both my number plates were stolen from my scooby today in a public car park.
I reported it to the police straight away and got a crime report number.
They said that I need to contact DVLA also and give them the crime report number.

Does this happen often to scoobies?. I have had mine for 2 years now with no incidents up till now. Are they taken to put on a stolen car?

I tried the DVLA phone number (0870 240 0010) and of course none of the recorded telephone menus are relevent to my situation and can I get to talk to a real person? no. Sigh.

Does anyone know how I can contact a real person at DVLA? or do I even need to now the police know and I have a crime number?

Any feedback or advice would be most welcome.
Sorry to hear this .
Just read in our local paper that the police are informing the public about a spate of this happening on any car in our area (Cheshire), and to be vigilant. Apparrently it is now the new crave for the youth to nick license plates. A bit like when VW and BMW badges were nicked in the 80's.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:45 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl-AL
i would say your plates were most definetly stolen to put onto a stolen car. just be prepared for speeding tickets, parking tickets etc coming through the post. You did the right thing reporting it to the police straight away at least you are covered a little bit now.
Worst case if that does happen and it doesn't stop, could I re-register the car with a new number say a private plate to stop a possible influx of fines?

My wife suggests I look on ebay for them LMAO

Last edited by Journeyman; 25 May 2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 25 May 2005, 08:03 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

A private plate would stop it if you were getting lots of tickets, or it would stop any at all if you got the plates as soon as possable.But its one of those catch 22 situations where you might never get anything at all if you leave your original plate on, i think only you can decide what to do. i hope this helps a little.
Old 25 May 2005, 08:32 PM
ljbradbury
Scooby Regular

My number plates (which I had only the week before changed to private plates) were stolen from my black STI wagon in Oct last year,while it was parked in my drive with a cover on it, luckily I noticed it within hours and reported it to the police and got a crime no, I wasnt told to contact the DVLA.

A couple of days later I got a speeding ticket which I didnt have to pay cos of the crime no.

Then later that day I got a phone call from the police to say they had got my plates, they were found on a green impreza 4 door had been stolen and then involved in a robbery.

I was lucky it was resolved very quickly, hope yours is sorted ASAP.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:16 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

i had my plate stolen from my gsxr, probably just some kid wanting to steal petrol on his moped! Reported it to the police as soon as i noticed, but didnt have to contact dvla. Luckily never recieved any fines!
Old 25 May 2005, 09:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I have had Police knocking on my door (on christmas eve of all days )over the original plates on my scoob being copied and used on a stolen Scoob.

So it does happen.
Old 25 May 2005, 09:53 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been happening round here for ages, I suppose it's the best way to get past ANPR and the congestion cameras with "genuine" stolen plates so definately be on the lookout for the speeding and other fines arriving on the doormat.

http://www.surrey.police.uk/news_item.asp?artid=4966
Old 25 May 2005, 10:06 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanTheMan
Been happening round here for ages, I suppose it's the best way to get past ANPR and the congestion cameras with "genuine" stolen plates so definately be on the lookout for the speeding and other fines arriving on the doormat.

http://www.surrey.police.uk/news_item.asp?artid=4966

Thanks for the link.
Old 25 May 2005, 10:14 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Journeyman,

Can you say which car park it was? I'm in Reading fairly often - would like to avoid the one where the little ******* targeted you if possible!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 25 May 2005, 10:17 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spider
Journeyman,

Can you say which car park it was? I'm in Reading fairly often - would like to avoid the one where the little ******* targeted you if possible!

Cheers,
Steve

High street car park (no cctv), Twyford

Old 25 May 2005, 10:34 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Write to DVLA immediately detailing what has happened. Get the Police to put an entry on the Police National Computer also detailing the same, you don't want your door putting in at 3 am when your car has been seen at the scene of a Robbery.

If you need more help or info PM me.

Paul.
Old 25 May 2005, 10:40 PM
Journeyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pauleds2
Write to DVLA immediately detailing what has happened. Get the Police to put an entry on the Police National Computer also detailing the same, you don't want your door putting in at 3 am when your car has been seen at the scene of a Robbery.

If you need more help or info PM me.

Paul.

Your scaring me now Paul. I have two young kids in the house and if they put the door in there will be hell to pay.
Thanks for the offer I'll see how it develops over the next week or so.....
Old 26 May 2005, 10:30 AM
Vlad
Scooby Newbie

So if I report my plates stolen to the police and get a crime number, even if they are not stolen, I can then freely hoon around without fear of speed cameras. Cool.

Last edited by Vlad; 26 May 2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 26 May 2005, 10:47 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

That doesnt make any sense really.

You can get plates made up with any number and letters yu like so easy.

I got a man who makes me plates all day long for my motors (for shows and i swap plates from cars regularly)

So why nick them from a car and get the plates under suspision? Easier to find a simlar car, take note of the number, and get some made up.
Old 26 May 2005, 10:48 AM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vlad
So if I report my plates stolen to the police and get a crime number, even if they are not stolen, I can then freely hoon around without fear of speed cameras. Cool.
Yup.... Until a police car spots you, pulls you over and arrests for you for driving around in a nicked car
Old 26 May 2005, 11:31 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G_Sleigh_STi
That doesnt make any sense really.

You can get plates made up with any number and letters yu like so easy.

I got a man who makes me plates all day long for my motors (for shows and i swap plates from cars regularly)

So why nick them from a car and get the plates under suspision? Easier to find a simlar car, take note of the number, and get some made up.
I hope that man asks for your documentation when you get real plates made up. I know of quite a few garages that have had hefty fines because they didn't.

I know its easy for individuals to make plates up, but we don't want the trade supporting the theft and misuse of vehicles.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:38 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FirebirdUK
Yup.... Until a police car spots you, pulls you over and arrests for you for driving around in a nicked car
Why would they? the car would not have been reported as stolen.
Old 26 May 2005, 12:02 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

[\b]Car owners warned of increase in registration plate thefts
Submitted: 25/10/2004 12:22:00
Car owners are being warned of a recent spate of theft of number plates across Waverley and Guildford by police this week. [\b]

So Police are nicking Plates !!!!
Old 26 May 2005, 12:09 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
[b]Car owners warned of increase in registration plate thefts
Submitted: 25/10/2004 12:22:00
Car owners are being warned of a recent spate of theft of number plates across Waverley and Guildford by police this week. [\b]

So Police are nicking Plates !!!!
LMAO
Old 26 May 2005, 01:03 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
I hope that man asks for your documentation when you get real plates made up. I know of quite a few garages that have had hefty fines because they didn't.

I know its easy for individuals to make plates up, but we don't want the trade supporting the theft and misuse of vehicles.
After my first 10 plates were made up they stopped asking for documentation as we became friends and now i just get anything i want all day long. Works well for me cause i have crazy plates for shows etc.
Old 26 May 2005, 06:01 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i noticed a couple of months ago that the vin no on my car didn;t match the v5 - one of the numbers was shown as a letter, presumably a handwriting/recognition error when the document was first produced. couldn;t speak to anyone at the dvla, so emailed and they wrote back with an answer in a matter of days. v5 was then sorted out almost by return. bloody helpful people when you can actually get hold of them! try email first, cc to yourself at another email account and keep a printed copy in case you need evidence that you'd tried to contact and inform them
Old 26 May 2005, 08:23 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I had mine stolen from my MY99 Turbo. I reported it to the police immediately but never had any problems with tickets etc afterwards. The only thing was when I was stopped by cops once who wanted to do a VIN check.

And of course I never used it as a defence for my speeding tickets
Old 20 April 2006, 03:29 PM
julesp600
Scooby Regular

I have to say I am a little scared by something similar at the moment.

I swapped my car in December for a wrx and all seemed fine. Car got MOTd last February after being imported in September 2004. All good.

Anyway, transfered V5 etc. Had some bodywork done. New gearbox etc. MOT, tax all fine.

Now, I get a letter from the DVLA asking me to confirm my reg, car colour and VIN number because a discrepancy was flagged up on the MOT. I have now sent back the forms but had a look to see what it could be.

The VIN number doesn't match. It can't be a typing error or anything as they are quite different.

The people I got the car from only got it last September and the MOT was done in the february so they couldn't have known but I don't know what is going to happen now.

The car was imported in September 2004 but wasn't MOTd at all until the February of 2005. Do you think it possible that the importer put the wrong plates on the wrong cars which is why it has taken so long to find? I am surprised it wasn't picked up on the 2005 MOT.

Any hope out there? Any other ideas? I really hope there is as this car has been nothing but trouble so far.

Jules
Old 20 April 2006, 03:46 PM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to me 6yr ago, some scum coped my reg, nicked a silver scoob and started a crime spree!!

I had vists from the cops late at night, finger prints taken, early morning vists after police chaese with the scummy bandit phone calls from the boys in blueand being pulled by the traffic.

Only thing you can do is as soon as anything happens get to the police station and get yourself known to the police along with your scoob so that they know that its not you.
What made it worse for me was the scum was 6ft 2 , had dark hair & wore glasses - the same as me!!

Hope you get everything sorted our bud, it lasted 8 months for me until the police caught the scum.

Ricey