Sponsored by:

Feedback on centre diff.MY05 sti

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 07:09 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on centre diff.MY05 sti

Having only had the car for 4 wonderful days now, I started reading a little into the adjustable differential on the car. This is a new feature on the MY05.

Was wondering whether any of you other guys had been playing with the settings on road or track.?

Im really looking forward to tracking the car in a few months, and putting the diff to full rear bias.!!
Old 23 May 2005, 07:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It isn't a new feature on the uk sti. Been around since 2001. The yaw sensor, is the main new feature.
Old 23 May 2005, 07:43 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
It isn't a new feature on the uk sti. Been around since 2001. The yaw sensor, is the main new feature.
no, the DCCD is a new UK feature.

first featured on the WR1 last year, before being standard on the MY05 STi.

never offered standard or optional before that.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:20 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

what does the yaw sensor do
Old 23 May 2005, 10:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Not sure what you are confusing it with, but the dccd is definitely a new feature, as said above first seen on the WR1 and now the Sti.
Old 24 May 2005, 01:08 AM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

what about A-DCCD, is that diff from just DCCD or is it the same thing
Old 24 May 2005, 10:35 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by peterpeter
Having only had the car for 4 wonderful days now, I started reading a little into the adjustable differential on the car. This is a new feature on the MY05.

Was wondering whether any of you other guys had been playing with the settings on road or track.?

Im really looking forward to tracking the car in a few months, and putting the diff to full rear bias.!!

-- I guess nobody knows then!!?

05 has more natural rear torque bias over 03/04 to help reduce FWD torque-steer reaction powering out of corners - however is the system designed to be left in a position with a manually selected more rearward bias - even on good tarmac, tight corners, hard standing starts etc?

I certainly would prefer a little more tail-slide (if controllable!) than grip the s-wheel with iron grip when powering full throttle out of an uneven tight corner

So what is the definitive answer - can it be left more rearward bias - and what is that like to drive on backroads at, ahem, full tilt?!
Old 24 May 2005, 03:20 PM
cannyboy
Scooby Newbie

Auto is smarter than you think, so probably best to leave it there - except:

Lock it for snow/mud driving when you are not in a hurry for relaxing driving without drama - car doesn't move around that much but understeer is a good bit higher -(auto is faster in snow, but car will be all over the road), but do NOT drive the standard RE070's on snow unless you want to crash - get some all seasons or snow tyres for the winter- these tyres do not work under about 4 degrees......

Push it to all rear for donuts (blow up your drive train if you want) or fast launches on the drag strip.

Other than, auto is better, for tracking - under power auto will redirect the power where it is needed, from 35/65 to 50/50. You can feel this happen. Some people go on that moving it to the rear for tracking is better, but these people usually end up in the tyre wall and think they are smarter than a computer.

The car still preferes a light foot on corner exits, or the front will plow.

Last edited by cannyboy; 24 May 2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 24 May 2005, 03:28 PM
zappa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
-- I guess nobody knows then!!?

05 has more natural rear torque bias over 03/04 to help reduce FWD torque-steer reaction powering out of corners - however is the system designed to be left in a position with a manually selected more rearward bias - even on good tarmac, tight corners, hard standing starts etc?

I certainly would prefer a little more tail-slide (if controllable!) than grip the s-wheel with iron grip when powering full throttle out of an uneven tight corner

So what is the definitive answer - can it be left more rearward bias - and what is that like to drive on backroads at, ahem, full tilt?!
My 05 STI is just coming up to its 10,000 mile service and I am coming to the conclusion that unless you are going to regularly track day, it is little more than a conversation piece for your passengers.

When I first got the car I fiddled with the DCCD in the lower ranges (one maybe two clicks forward), when the roads were slippy but to be honest I couldn't tell you if it made a difference. When we had snow a few months back I did lock the diff (fully forward) and I sailed past other stranded vehicles, which was nice...

But day to day I just leave it in auto mode. Some on here will say if you lock the diff on a dry straight road you can use it as a form of "launch control" but I would fear for clutch life.

Although I am sure understeer is reduced by thumbing the wheel, sage advice again on here suggests that 18" wheels make a greater improvement...who knows!

Great car though...apart from the paintwork
Old 24 May 2005, 03:39 PM
cheesy
Scooby Regular

NO IDEA!!!