Sponsored by:

Stone chips advice please

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2005, 11:29 AM
boothy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stone chips advice please

I HAVE wrx 03 WR BLUE it has the usual stone chips at the front which i have carefully tried to touch up with the SUBARU touch up paint but the result is pretty crap!!

I have seen adverts for "CHIPS AWAY" has anyone used if so what were the results like and cost and is it actually a paint process?
Old 22 May 2005, 11:42 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

yep the quality of the work depends on the guy who comes to do the job mate, next time get the front end Armourfended I have and not a stone chip in sight
Old 22 May 2005, 02:58 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a "mer" chip repair kit, a do it yourself.

I've had great results with it, worth £20
Old 22 May 2005, 05:45 PM
Jonesy1981
Scooby Regular

I've used chips away, they are goooood!! I had part of my bumper break off on my old car after a row with a kerb (i lost), they pit that back on and covered up a monster of a stone chip on my bonnet, personally, i thought they were very good!!

Jonesy.
Old 20 April 2006, 12:26 PM
clanhome
Scooby Regular

Wink Hampshire Chipsaway repair

Used my local Chipsaway guy on my wifes Mini Cooper and he did a great job with a chip and scratch on the door which was down to the metal! and a stone chip on the bumper . His name is Steve Day Mobile No:07795 410137 who covers Hampshire especially Southampton and Eastleigh.I would recommend as the cost was £175 for the 4 hour repair and the finnish was an excellent match . I was especially pleased not to have the car in a bodyshop for days.
Old 20 April 2006, 12:42 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's no dent then here's a trick of the trade for you:

You need the following:
Matched paint.
A fine brush.
1200 gritt wet and dry paper.
Water.
Farecla G3 Compound or Equivalent.
Cotton Cloth.
Patience.

Use the brush to slowly build up the paint in the chip, don't try and whack a big blob in as it will just settle at the base of the crack.. Apply tiny layers and let it dry for a few minutes in between.

Once you have filled the chip the paint should be slightly proud of the edges and you'll probably have some over spread (this is good).

Leave the paint to dry for a 24 hours, after this time it is still soft and you can work with it.

Now get your water, wet and dry and compound. Take a small square of wet and dry paper, dunk it in the water and use it to lightly rub down the paint you have applied, be gentle and use LOTS of water.

Once you happy that the touch up is flat dap the cloth in a little water and apply some compound to the part of the door you have rubbed down. Use the compound to buff the flat paint, you have to be quite vigorous to get the shine back but it will come back.

When your done you should use a decent polish (i.e. NOT "easy use" retail polish full of silicone). 3M Finesse-IT or 3M Machine Polish is good. Then I would recommend using a hand glaze to seal the paint.

All of these chemicals can be obtained for body shop suppliers or online.