Sponsored by:

22b or new WRX STi?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 11:24 PM
AgingCarNut
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22b or new WRX STi?

At present I drive a 1995 Sti2 with KW coilovers, uprated Tarox brakes and running around 300bhp but I'm finally in the fortunate position to afford a 22b which I have hankered over for years. However, the latest WRX Sti for around the same price is now tempting me. I'm drawn by the looks and the heritage of the 22b but once behind the wheel I'm more interested in what a car is like to drive and the new Sti has another 7 year's development over the 22b. I haven't had any test drives yet but I'm wondering if anyone has driven both and can let me know which is the better drive.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:37 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

22b will hold it money forever. (well not quite but for a bl*ody long time) Then again, if you are after a classic scoob (200kg lighter than new age) and have 20k+ to spend, i'd buy an sti type r and a 2.5 conversion.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:44 PM
AgingCarNut
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Mmm..haven't heard of that conversion.

The lack of depreciation of the 22b is certainly a temptation - I'm looking at ways to put it through the books as a business 'investment'!
Old 18 May 2005, 11:47 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a scoob then! Honestly m8, never buy a car as an investment.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:00 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

I agree with the investment thing. Even though the 22b will probably never lose money, I doubt it will ever make money either. Any new impreza will lose bucket loads of money, and Id say this doesnt really level off for 4-5 years.

Drive wise, the ride is fairly harsh and uncompromising, youll tramline and youll even notice going over painted lines in the road, I kid you not! Unless youre a very competant driver and willing to tough it out on a wet road IMHO the wrx sti new shape will be a much better all rounder and youll probably get to where youre going quicker.

Having said all that I class myself as an average driver, the 22b capability is way above my limits. I use it day to day and the grin factor is very high! I would not swap it over any subaru new or old, I dont care what they bring out in the future, Ill only ever own a 22b Impreza.

Only advise I would give about buying one is make sure you dont buy a **** one, there are a few bad ones around. Get the thing properly checked over and make sure it has bills/stamps coming out of its ears.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:42 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Can I suggest a Spec C? Would never claim that a Spec C is the new 22b ... but it combines rarity/desirability (which hopefully equals less depreciation than a standard STi) with the best handling of the new age scoobys. Tunable to 350+bhp with little modification means that it will compete with a mildly-tuned 22b in a straight line and I would guess would lose it on the twisties (I'd love to test this theory if anyone has a 22b they fancy comparing with my Spec C ...).

I was faced with the same choice and went with the Spec C as it is no harder to own than a 22b and has significant advantages over the base STi.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:47 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How much do you want to thrash it? I've seen a number of comments from 22b owners that says they are scared to find the limits in case they dent an irreplaceable body panel.
Old 19 May 2005, 10:48 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The only downside to a 22b, is the difficulties and expense of obtaining spares. As lovely as the 22b is, I would'nt have one as an only car as it can take weeks or months to get parts made or acquired.
Old 19 May 2005, 12:56 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

agree with neil.

thats why it is my second car.

but what a car! especially when you up the gee gees!

in fairness, even (probably especially) with 500bhp and similar torque under my right foot I don't think I could live with any twin scroll new shape through the twisties.

A decent driver would leave one for dead though.
Old 19 May 2005, 07:46 PM
AgingCarNut
Scooby Newbie

Lots of interesting replies guys - thanks!

Trouble is everyone is tending to say what I was expecting and I wanted to hear that the 22b would be streets better! Truth is though it would be a 2nd or 3rd car for me - there's the family car and an MGB roadster that i put a v8 in a few years ago. So that means I'm actually wanting a car that's a bit wild which will only be taken out for fun.

I guess its going to be down to test drives and I'll look into the Spec C as well (thanks for the tip). I did get the chance of one last year when I phoned a place to buy Nicky Grists old 22b but when I found out that Grists car had been sold the week before I was so gutted I lost interest!

As someone points out finding a good one could be an issue. There's a few that have been on Autotrader for months now - there's one up here in Scotland at a dealer but its been up for sale for around 4-5 months and I have been wondering if there's something wrong with it.....
Old 19 May 2005, 07:58 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE there's one up here in Scotland at a dealer but its been up for sale for around 4-5 months and I have been wondering if there's something wrong with it.....[/QUOTE]

Not nessescarily, i only had a V5 type r once apon a time and althogh it was mint with only 32k it still took me about 3 months to sell it.
I rather like that type 20 thing or whatever its called.
I have heard that a front wing on a 22b is about 2.5 grand to replace!
Old 19 May 2005, 08:03 PM
Ante
Scooby Regular

You should not have sold your white type r

I say 22b

//Ante
Old 19 May 2005, 08:15 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
but what a car! especially when you up the gee gees!

in fairness, even (probably especially) with 500bhp and similar torque under my right foot I don't think I could live with any twin scroll new shape through the twisties.

A decent driver would leave one for dead though.
So that would be mildly tuned then? If you up the gee gees enough on any scoob you'll leave a less modified one for dead. My point was power-to-weight on a 22b with a custom map and fast-flow exhaust is not much greater than that of a Spec C with the same mods. But I'd bet on the Spec C's chassis and grip over the 22b's.

Of course, if you fancy bringing your 22b down to Essex to prove me wrong, I'd happily do a back-to-back comparison
Old 19 May 2005, 10:05 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

easy answer.... 22b is the cream of subaru..end of topic
Old 20 May 2005, 07:58 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unless you bend one, then they are written off(insurance wise) very easily

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 20 May 2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 20 May 2005, 09:13 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take either...