Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be interested in an alternative to PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2005, 11:13 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you be interested in an alternative to PPP?

I've been thinking for a while that I'd like a little more power and flexibility (and noise )than my Scoob currently has and been weighing up the options. As my Scoob is now just about out of warranty, I'm almost convinced to go the third party route.

The much debated PPP Vs Third party option has been done to death, so don't worry, not planning to start it off again!

However what I would be interested in is how many others out there would be interested in doing the same within the next few weeks/months. The obvious thought is a Group Buy from a supplier or group of suppliers but with the advantage of all the work being done in one place at the same time. I know there's been loads of successful remap GB's or downpipe and other exhaust bit GB's but I've not seen a "one stop shop" as yet.

I'm guessing there's a quite a few non-PPP'd cars coming out of warranty like my 02 bugeye, so a load of other like minded owners? Not forgetting of course currently unmodified classics and even some warrantied Blobeyes which would all like some extra go.

If there is enough interest I'll start a Group Buy off when I've found supplier(s) and have some info on pricing etc.

The "package" I would envisage is sports cat downpipe, decat centre, and "sports" backbox, uprated fuelpump and an ECU remap ("TEK 3"). Yes I'm aware that there are some differences between models and the individual packages would need to have either more/less depending on model (e.g. intercooler hose on WRX etc) but at the moment just want to keep it simple and get a feel for interest. We can fine tune things if the idea takes off.

Please try and keep replies to showing interest, thanks.
Old 16 May 2005, 11:50 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

anyone of the main tuning shops offer this option.
why not consider the likes of scoobyclinic and get the whole thing in an existing one stop shop.

am sure they would be happy with group buying too.
Old 16 May 2005, 12:03 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
anyone of the main tuning shops offer this option.
why not consider the likes of scoobyclinic and get the whole thing in an existing one stop shop.

am sure they would be happy with group buying too.
Yep I know there are some that do this, but I've not seen a GB done around a PPP alternative as such so just sounding out the possible interest.
Old 16 May 2005, 02:31 PM
New_scooby_04

Talking

Hiya Trashman,

Good idea! I think you might want to take into account though that different age cars will need different components for a PPP alternative package though. For example, as I understand it, the new age cars would need an uprated fuel pump whereas the classics wouldn't. Also people would probably also want to have freedoom to specify their own parts etc.... What would be good - and prob easier to organise- is a group buy on a remap for whatever upgrades people dream up. I would suggest BRD as they are always VERY popular.

I'd be up for it later in the year (Sept onwards) too many other comitments till then

All the best.

NS04
Old 16 May 2005, 02:37 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Some of us folks with PPP may want to take things a step further too. We already have the BB and I/C pipe, but a sports cat D/P, U/P, fuel pump, injectors and remap could be tempting. Maybe throw in an STi TMIC instead of the BB
Old 16 May 2005, 02:37 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hiya Trashman,

Good idea! I think you might want to take into account though that different age cars will need different components for a PPP alternative package though. For example, as I understand it, the new age cars would need an uprated fuel pump whereas the classics wouldn't. Also people would probably also want to have freedoom to specify their own parts etc.... What would be good - and prob easier to organise- is a group buy on a remap for whatever upgrades people dream up. I would suggest BRD as they are always VERY popular.

I'd be up for it later in the year (Sept onwards) too many other comitments till then

All the best.

NS04
The remap only GB's have been done before and quite regularly, as have seperate components - they all seem to do well. I realise some people might prefer that so they can get the bits and pieces they want, then get a custom map but was hoping there would be some like me who would like PPP but not out for absolute power and would be happy with a 3rd party packaged solution.
Old 16 May 2005, 02:50 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Some of us folks with PPP may want to take things a step further too. We already have the BB and I/C pipe, but a sports cat D/P, U/P, fuel pump, injectors and remap could be tempting. Maybe throw in an STi TMIC instead of the BB
A power upgrade pack then? I guess that could be a possibility - all it needs is a supplier to commit a level of discount for a GB, regardless of content, maybe the caveat being you have to have it fitted and remapped by that supplier? At least that would be some more incentive for the supplier?

Any authorised (or indeed non-authorised) advertisers want to Pm some suggestions?
Old 16 May 2005, 02:57 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I'm getting there in bits and pieces on MY00 Classic.

Have:

H&S Backbox and de-cat centre
SAMCO Turbo Hoses
KnockLink
LambdaLink (to be fitted)
Boost gauge.
Spare ECU (1xAE801 and 1xAE802)

To do:

H&S de-cat downpipe
STI Panel Filter
Re-map pref. by BRDev

Later on:

Oil press and temp gauges.
Uprated suspension.
Uprated brakes.

I hoping the power increasing mods above will give PPP plus a bit performance. I'm sure one of the many tuning outfits about could supply and fit a similar package.

I went the DIY route to spread the cost a bit and to give me the choice of whatever components I want
Old 16 May 2005, 03:10 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

would deff be up for it on the Re-map 02 WRX, already started on the exhaust so thats all i need. Not sure whether i would need a fuel pump or not for this car..
Old 16 May 2005, 06:07 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
would deff be up for it on the Re-map 02 WRX, already started on the exhaust so thats all i need. Not sure whether i would need a fuel pump or not for this car..
Remap would be part of it though I would hope to get enough people interested in 'other' parts (exhaust or whatever) to make it worth the suppliers' while offering a blanket GB discount. As for your car, I think I am correct in saying it would not need a fuel pump but may need an uprated intercooler hose.
Old 16 May 2005, 09:21 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

YHPM
Old 16 May 2005, 09:31 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Damn saw a prodrive one going on ebay recently, didnt really bother with it at the time.

Doh
Old 16 May 2005, 10:29 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
YHPM
YHPM back
Old 17 May 2005, 01:36 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trashman,

Interesting idea and interested, especially if the price is right. Coincidentally Webmaster made a rather cryptic comment in a recent post on this, about "alternatives". You might want to pm him and see what he was thinking about, as a possible option.

You might also want to consider a shortlist of buying options & prices eg remap only & price, remap & full exhaust & price, remap and sports cat only & price. Probably 4 to 6 options max, to make it all manageable.

My reasoning for this suggestion is because I don't want to lose my Group N backbox but am certainly interested in a sports cat & remap.

Let us know.

Cheers

WB
Old 17 May 2005, 09:45 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm testing the water directly with a couple of suppliers and dipped my toe in the 2 remap GB's that are running to see if they will offer similar. I'm not particularly fussy just need a reliable mapper who can do me the other bits I want at an attractive discount
Old 01 June 2005, 05:16 PM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

Default gb

I get where you are coming from trashman and I'm in the same position, 02STI just out of warranty, I interested for the full package and was considering wrc-tech as the price at £1800 all in seems reasonable. I've received an email today from Haywood and Scott and was quoted the following: Quote:

If you can get five plus people we can do the prices for:-

Down pipe £135
Down pipe with a high flow cat £375
Two centres £75 each
Rear box £175
Re-map £525
Fuel pump, I would have to check on this(usually £120)

All prices are exclusive of fitting/delivery and VAT.

Basically I'm looking for around 320/330bhp. Anyway start a list for the job lot PPP equivalent to get an idea of rough numbers:

1) Trashman
2) PJ's Scoob - TypeUK 02STI
Old 01 June 2005, 06:38 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=corradoboy]Some of us folks with PPP may want to take things a step further too. We already have the BB and I/C pipe, but a sports cat D/P, U/P, fuel pump, injectors and remap could be tempting. Maybe throw in an STi TMIC instead of the BB

what do u think the the ppp with u/p inject, sti tmic ,tex3, would produce from a wrx04 ppp ?

doesnt the ppp already have a sports d/p fitted ? & also intercoooler silicone hoses ?

im not sure wether to upgrade or go sti
Old 01 June 2005, 07:53 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

I thought this had died So H&S just under £1600 with a high flow cat - That compares very well with PPP but what price fitting? I'm assuming the package would give more than PPP and also that the list above is STi? Though I assume similar pricing for WRX. If the all in price is substantially less than PPP, I am very tempted. As yet not heard anything back from either of the remap GB's as to whether the respective suppliers can offer an all in package.
May be as well to start a new thread off in Group Buys?