ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY05 WRX Wagon PPP or ???

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 10:24 PM
Holetownsilver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink MY05 WRX Wagon PPP or ???

Should I go down the PPP route or is there a better way?

I have completed 5,000 miles in my MY05 Wagon and to be honest I am a little disappointed with my first Impreza. I want something more!!

Recommendations please for a first time Scoobynet virgin!
Old 10 May 2005, 11:25 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

PPP is your only option if you want to remain warranty friendly..
Old 11 May 2005, 08:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Give it a few more miles, they need a lot of loosening up and then suddenly start getting better and better..! My 05 really changed ~4500 miles (like a different car) and continues improving all the time, now at 7k.

Jason

PS I'm going TEK3 route soon similar to Andy F's project.
Old 11 May 2005, 12:12 PM
Holetownsilver
Scooby Regular

Whilst I do not yet know much about the various options available, I prefer the idea of putting a package together myself as opposed to simple getting it PPP'ed.

I also like what little I have managed to pick up on the TEK3.

What is Andy F's project?

Dave
Old 11 May 2005, 12:46 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Holetownsilver
Whilst I do not yet know much about the various options available, I prefer the idea of putting a package together myself as opposed to simple getting it PPP'ed.

Dave
That's fine, there are plenty of options out there re exhaust mods / decats / remaps etc as long as you understand you are waving bye bye to your warranty !

Old 11 May 2005, 01:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Dave
Give it a bit more time, your car is barely run in: most don't fully loosen up till about 10k. Also, bear in mind that you quickly get used to performance nd it becomes "normal". If you want to appreiate your car more, the cheapest and most effective thing you can do is to get in a "normal runaround". That'll give you back some perspective! As above, PPP is your only option if you want to retain your warranty. If you go down the custom mods route and something goes wrong, you 'll have to cough up for the repairs!

NS04
Old 11 May 2005, 09:42 PM
Holetownsilver
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I shall save my money and give the car a chance to open up, with the added bonus of saving the warranty. The wife will be happy on the money front!!
Old 11 May 2005, 09:49 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

ppp is a good upgrade for you I should think. Yes you can get similar power etc for slightly cheaper BUT you loose your warranty and that could prove costly in the long run. Mods other than ppp will make the car harder to sell should you choose to trade it into a non scooby dealer in the future. PPP = higher trade in than std car ....whereas other mods = lower than standard trade in value, if they will touch it at all.

Alternatively perhaps you should have bought an STi in the first place.

Gary
Old 11 May 2005, 09:54 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Alternatively perhaps you should have bought an STi in the first place.

Gary
One day when I get a round tuit I shall post a poll on the subject of how many WRX owners wish they had got an Sti instead.

4 months in and I know what my vote would be
Old 11 May 2005, 09:57 PM
Holetownsilver
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but I don't think my GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer)would appreciate bing bundled into the boot of a saloon! He is a little too big. I sold my 330CD Sport Coupe for the 'estate'.

Although I was tempted /am tempted in a STI Forester 2.5 XT

Dave
Old 12 May 2005, 10:00 AM
Pigshed
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, but I don't think my GSP (German Shorthaired Pointer)would appreciate bing bundled into the boot of a saloon! He is a little too big. I sold my 330CD Sport Coupe for the 'estate'.

Although I was tempted /am tempted in a STI Forester 2.5 XT

Dave
Dave,

I tried a few standard WRX's before settling on my '03 PPP WRX Wagon. The difference is incredible - just picks up nicely all the way though the range. Was really disappointed with the standard car.

Saying that, the PPP car is still missing about 1200 bhp to bring it closer to a more reasonable 1hp/kg ... ;-)

Had similar curiosity about the 2.5 STI forester and took one out about about two weeks ago when my WRX was in to have a problem looked at. Nice seats, nice wheels, huge front brakes, bigger boot. Wouldn't know you're in a forester. Pickup was smoother below 2k, other than that it felt much the same as the WRX PPP.

When driving the Forester I'd have said it felt slightly quicker than the WRX, when I got back in the WRX I felt the other way round ...

The Forester runs much lower revs at speed, though from the sounds of it, it still gets much worse fuel consumption. Stereo was far far superior .. though no burble from the rear ...

Cheers, Adam.
Old 12 May 2005, 12:37 PM
Holetownsilver
Scooby Regular

Have spoken to the supplying dealer (my car is an EU import)" and they have said

"The Prodrive Performance Pack amongst other performance upgrades is not approved by FHI (Subaru Japan), therefore such products will invalidate your warranty due to the changes in engine specifications and the modification of power (Also explained in the warranty booklet).

Hope this has clarifies matters,"

Does anyone know if this is correct??
Old 12 May 2005, 01:28 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Not according to people on here who have had PPP added to EU imports recently with no probs..
Read below for more info..
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=401398
Old 13 May 2005, 08:06 AM
05WRX
Scooby Regular

Have spoken to the supplying dealer (my car is an EU import)" and they have said

"The Prodrive Performance Pack amongst other performance upgrades is not approved by FHI (Subaru Japan), therefore such products will invalidate your warranty due to the changes in engine specifications and the modification of power (Also explained in the warranty booklet).

Hope this has clarifies matters,"

Does anyone know if this is correct??

I think it varies from who you've bought the car from. I'm based in The Netherlands and the importer and their affiliated official dealer will supply a Prodrive Performance Pack no problem (at car order time or later). They don't consider the PPP to invalidate the warranty.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:58 AM
WRX - Biker
Scooby Newbie

Ok guys, WTF is PPP????

I'm new to all this scooby thing.
Old 13 May 2005, 12:07 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The 330CD had 290lbft of torque available from 1700RPM to about 5k, 204bhp, and fairly stiff suspension. You *will* struggle to make the WRX "feel" as fast as that largely due to the power delivery. The top end of the WRX will easily give put a smile on your face, and PPP will definitely help recover some of the low down torque, but if you don't care about your warranty I'd consider an ECUTEK based remap and a selection of replacement parts... There's an STI 8 Intercooler in "for sale", and a few other goodies.

This will affect your insurance, so check that you can stomach it before going down the after market route. Most people pay around a 100 quid premium for PPP on average, and way more for aftermarket tuning unless you've got an understanding insurer like Liv Vic.

Good luck, but do be aware that making the WRX feel as punchy as the 330D is not an easy task IMHO. It will however sound a hell of a lot nicer