Sponsored by:

Busted

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2005, 10:08 AM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted

Just got a NIP through the door from the Cumbria Constabulary for 82mph on the M6 heading southbound on the bank holiday Monday (70mph)... These are the first points I've picked up and truly gutted, fair enuf boys but ain't this a little harsh
Old 08 May 2005, 10:22 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear it mate

i stupidly went past a gatso at 70 and got flashed, the gatso was on the other side of road facing me, but its been 3 weeks so im of the hook !

and this was on a wide counrty road and really was at 3am in the morning

i must take a picture of this gatso because you wouldnt beleive its location !

flat country
no houses
no turns for a few miles in either direction
no hedge rows or blind apexes

the only hazard was the spring bunnies that freeze on the head lights !
Old 08 May 2005, 10:33 AM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Do they still allow a 10% margin?

82 though - I bet there were plenty going faster...
Did you see them laser you? (I'm assuming it was a laser?)

Sorry to hear this - I'd be gutted too...
Old 08 May 2005, 11:43 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Moral of the story... When travelling somewhere unknown remove front plate "it broke" and remove tax "it fell off the window". Unless its manned with a trafpol car (i.e. not the usual van) you're fine

Virgin: Sounds like the road i was busted on a few years ago (copper hiding behind a sign using vascar). 90 in a 60
Old 08 May 2005, 12:33 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nixon
Just got a NIP through the door from the Cumbria Constabulary for 82mph on the M6 heading southbound on the bank holiday Monday (70mph)... These are the first points I've picked up and truly gutted, fair enuf boys but ain't this a little harsh
It's absolutely pathetic. Either make the speed limit reasonable or wave 15mph on a motorway like Police forces have done for generations. One of the two.

How were you done anyway Hairdryer / Mobile van / Speed camera?
Old 08 May 2005, 12:50 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Unfortunatley I think the only solution is to not speed down the motorway. It's far far too easy to get caught, we really are sitting ducks.

I only ever give the Scoob a good blast on back roads that I know...easy through the villages.

If it's a numbered limit then I stick to it - it's saved me getting points about 10 times in the last year...

It's very satisfying waving to the copper with the speed gun doing 30mph through a village, when knowing that about 2 minutes ago you were doing well into three figures...

You pays your money etc...
Old 08 May 2005, 01:29 PM
Ridge Racer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by virgin
i stupidly went past a gatso at 70 and got flashed, the gatso was on the other side of road facing me, but its been 3 weeks so im of the hook !
i don't think they actually can nick you on the other side of the road ! i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure
Old 08 May 2005, 01:49 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

your right. camera facing you wont flash, as its pritty stupid to blind someone driving a car!
Originally Posted by Ridge Racer
i don't think they actually can nick you on the other side of the road ! i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure
Old 08 May 2005, 02:12 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

It was a laser van parked over a bridge at the end of a 2-3 mile decline just before Tebay services. I had been crusing at 70 ish in convoy with another STi and was in no great hurry to go anywhere, I was even listening to Radio 4!

The Cumbria Safety Partnership have a new livery for their vans and they now look like a Motorway Maintanance/Highways Agency van with orange lights on top, not the typical Peugeot Partner with the side door open.

I really feel this is unjust positioning, there is no clear line of sight to the van until it's too late and as your on a long sweeping bend your concentrating on the flow of traffic on front, not looking miles into the sky for a van disguised otherwise. Unless you were religious about sticking to the speed limit you would need to decline that hill in 3rd in order to maintain a strict 70 mph, it's far to easy to gain an extra 10 mph and we wonders why they plonk the van there?

Indeed I do enjoy fast road driving but always well within a ton and where conditions permit. I do about 50k miles a year and have done for the past 3-4 years, it just goes to show they are targeting INOCENT drivers. I was probably exercising my best driving skills at the time.

I wish I had the will/time/effort to contest it but they have all the doors tightly closed and fear they will make a exhibition of anybody that dares. I feel royally done over