ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying a Scoob - looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 07:05 PM
DaveD1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying a Scoob - looking for advice

Hi lads. I'm new to the site and was looking for some advice on buying an Impreza. In the coming months, hopefully by summer i want to pick up a 2 door impreza. I'm looking at a version 5 or 6 STi. Just wondering can you give me some advice on what to look out for when buying ? Also could you give me some indication what mpg i would expect to get and also when major services etc are due.

Thanks a million ....
Old 10 April 2005, 08:02 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

hi dave and welcome , are you looking for an import or uk model all impreza are getting between roughly 250-300 miles per full tank its not alot,what would you be using your car for example work or pleasure if using it all the time you could probebly end up with a £100 fuel bill at the end of the week depending on how you drive it.
Old 11 April 2005, 12:26 AM
wanna_scooby_badly
Scooby Newbie

i do 60 miles a day going to work and back if its driven normally is it likely to be ok on mpg?
Old 11 April 2005, 11:00 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

It's bit old now , but some good background info here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

oh !and welcome
Old 11 April 2005, 12:00 PM
DaveD1
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the replies lads. I'd be mainly using the car for driving to and from work. Unfortunately that means rush hour traffic. 250-300 miles doesn't sound too bad. What size litre tank is in the Impreza ?

I'm not too sure whether to go import or UK model. Thats what i need advice on. Which are the better spec'd models and most importantly which are the most reliable ? I was either thinking P1 or Sti Type R ??
Old 11 April 2005, 12:26 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Hi the tank size is 60 litres.

Your question is a fair one but probably guaranteed to start what appears to be a long running arguement.

My take on the P1 is its more expensive to buy, but have so far held their prices reasonably well. Some still have Subaru warranty which can be extended but its very expensive £1200 for a year. (rumour has it that this price is under review, but it is only a rumour.)
The P1 gearbox has different ratios to the imports which makes it a relatively more relaxed drive, suspension has been tweaked by prodrive is still pretty firm, but not uncomfortably so.
Engines are supposedly weak, but they are the same as the imports so I dont see why that should be so, but like all high performance units they need to be looked after.
You would probably be best driving both and making your own mind up, as I reckon both are pretty damn good cars, with amazing performance capabilities.
Old 11 April 2005, 04:42 PM
bzz
Scooby Regular

Does it matter which one you have? After all, it's a Scoob right.....
Old 11 April 2005, 04:49 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

buy this, its a bargain, and a great car.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=417424
Old 11 April 2005, 04:56 PM
FlatFourFun
Scooby Regular

I have a Type R V4, commuting to work, it averages about 18 MPG on optimax and octane booster. I fill up when the reading is nearly zero (no light on yet) and it takes about 45 - 50 litres and will have done about 190 - 210 miles. It is worth it though, the type R is bags of fun
Old 11 April 2005, 05:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DaveD1
Cheers for the replies lads. I'd be mainly using the car for driving to and from work. Unfortunately that means rush hour traffic. 250-300 miles doesn't sound too bad. What size litre tank is in the Impreza ?

I'm not too sure whether to go import or UK model. Thats what i need advice on. Which are the better spec'd models and most importantly which are the most reliable ? I was either thinking P1 or Sti Type R ??
In a nutshell: you get more for your money with a JDM car, but loose some security as often you won't know if the prev owners have used Octane booster and SUL etc... If you're going to go down this route an extensive inspection is even more essential than usual. Go for one with the least number of prev owners as possible and one that's either only just come from Japan, so will have been run on the correct grade fuel, or one that's been over here and owned by an enthusiast from the outset who has used the booster or -even better- had the engine remapped for UK fuel.

UK cars aren't as well spec'd and slower, but more of a known quantity! They can be increased to roughly Jap spec power by decatting/sports cats and Tek 3 remapping (circa £1200)

You pays your money etc....

NS04