From TT to impreza.... maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 04:26 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From TT to impreza.... maybe??

Hi,
Due to having my second child on the way i am now looking around for the best replacement for my tt. After alot of searching i have narrowed it down to either a civic type r or a subaru impreza wrx sti. I am going to view a sti tomorrow at a place called the turbocentre in Cuffley.
I would like to know what things to look out for when viewing it so i have a few questions......... Please bear with me as my knowledge on the cars is very limited.
The car in question is a black sti with uk prodrive performance pack, it is a 02 plate and has around 30k on the clock. They are asking 16995 for it, does this sound like a fair price? What extra does one with a pro drive performance pack include? What would 0-60 time be and what is the top speed??
Finally is there any known problems with these cars that i should look out for?

Sorry about the 101 questions but i would like to hear about these cars from people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks.
David.
Old 29 March 2005, 04:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by David26
Hi,
Due to having my second child on the way i am now looking around for the best replacement for my tt. After alot of searching i have narrowed it down to either a civic type r or a subaru impreza wrx sti. I am going to view a sti tomorrow at a place called the turbocentre in Cuffley.
I would like to know what things to look out for when viewing it so i have a few questions......... Please bear with me as my knowledge on the cars is very limited.
The car in question is a black sti with uk prodrive performance pack, it is a 02 plate and has around 30k on the clock. They are asking 16995 for it, does this sound like a fair price? What extra does one with a pro drive performance pack include? What would 0-60 time be and what is the top speed??
Finally is there any known problems with these cars that i should look out for?

Sorry about the 101 questions but i would like to hear about these cars from people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks.
David.
David,

1. That's a fair price for the car indeed
2. INSIST on a FSH if not, walk away
3 How many previous owners? Fewer the better
4. No tire kicking advice- get it professionally inspected e.g. RAC)
5. HPI Check. Essential.
6 What kind of warranty do they offer -if any- in addition to the manufacturers warranty?
7. PPP = uprated ECU, exhaust centre section and intercooler piping IIRC. Car should now produce 305bhp and 299 ft lbs Torque. Will go like stink! 0-60 in 4.8 not sure about top speed....but sufficient! ;-)
8) You won't miss the TT! But you might not like the Impreza's very expensive insurance and running costs. Do your homework before signing on the dotted line!

All the best NS04
Old 29 March 2005, 04:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i guess a TT is better screwed together so youll lose a little less money when selling ................but in every other way scooby is a step up....
Old 29 March 2005, 05:00 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dpb
i guess a TT is better screwed together so youll lose a little less money when selling ................but in every other way scooby is a step up....
and IMO, a CTR is a step down...All revs, and no torque
Old 29 March 2005, 05:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
Agreed! They're fun, but get a bit tiring and the performance is not of the same magnitude.

NS04
Old 29 March 2005, 05:08 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing: make sure your insurance company will actually insure a car with PPP, 'cos some won't. They need to understand it's an engine and exhaust mod for extra power, even if it is manufacturer sanctioned.

M
Old 29 March 2005, 05:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Luton Town eh

Might have seen this around then:

BTW I'm thinking of selling. Scoobysport decat blitz nur spec R mid/back end, TSL 6 pots with large discs, crystal indicators, tracker, *zenon*(sp) front lamps.

P1,0-60 4.66 standard, 155 mph

42k, FSSH,no previous owners, proper subaru warranty for 14 months. May be wrong but I doubt the car you are looking at will have a subaru warranty.

And the best bit, much lighter and better looking than a horrid bug eye
Old 29 March 2005, 05:12 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

If it's an 02 car then the Manufacturers warranty will be coming to an end (3 years) - but this can be renewed for a further 2 years at a reasonable cost (about £450 I think) and hence give you 2 years more peace of mind.
Old 29 March 2005, 05:13 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

youll never look back getting rid of the "hairdressermobile" and getting a fast car like an sti.to be honest i dont consider the ctr to be in the same league,performance wise, as the sti.also with the kids its a better choice,4 doors.
Old 29 March 2005, 05:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by terryb
If it's an 02 car then the Manufacturers warranty will be coming to an end (3 years) - but this can be renewed for a further 2 years at a reasonable cost (about £450 I think) and hence give you 2 years more peace of mind.
I read somewhere if you buy an Impreza from a non franchised dealer then there won't be an opportunity to extend the warranty. And will the original warranty be valid?

If you go with this car you're looking at it might be good to clear that up before you do any deals.
Old 29 March 2005, 05:49 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I used to have an Audi TT and now drive a Subaru... never looked back, far more fun to drive and more reliable too.

Ok the interior isn't as pretty and is missing the fluffy dampened cigarette lighter cover that doesn't click into place but just comes to a gentle rest, but after a while those things just pissed me off anyway as they took too long to open.

Also the STI comes with a cup holder wheras Audi charge you £70 for one and it's crap anyway.
Old 29 March 2005, 05:54 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Talking

The fluffy dampened cigarette lighter cover, is it as useful as the all important bright switch on UK cars?
Old 29 March 2005, 05:58 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
This used to be the case, I believe the price is around the £1200 mark for One Year!
Old 29 March 2005, 06:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Think mine was £500 for two years and I was pissed off with that
Old 29 March 2005, 06:40 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info. The car i'm interested in does have a full subaru service history and is a uk supplied car. It has had one previous owner and has covered 31000 miles. The dealer which has it offers 3 months warranty with all it's cars. Would like to get the extended warranty from subaru if i do go for it.

Had a quote from my insurance company and it's only 100 squid more than what i'm paying for my tt.

Thanks for all your help!

David.

P.S. Scoobynutter can't say i have seen you around the town, think i would have recognised that car! Nice motor mate!
Old 29 March 2005, 06:45 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

As above David, check with subaru if it can have subaru extended warranty, I dont think you'll be able to get it. TBH I'm not a fan of non subaru warranty, and you might as well extend your search for imports at the money youre looking to pay, or go to a subaru dealer and see what they have to offer.

Might not have seen it around lately, 300 miles in 6 months, but its very very loud!
Old 29 March 2005, 06:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

look here
http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...2?Opendocument

and youll see this
Old 01 April 2005, 05:59 PM
dc2
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
Fiestaboy and NS04:

Much as I don't usually defend the CTR (can't stand the 'leccy PAS!), I have to say you're both wrong.
- It's got the cojones to take on a TT-225 in a straight line and arguably win (not off the mark, but real-world). (I've proven this in my ITR, and the CTR is pretty much equal in a straight-line.)
- It's better built than most current VAG machines...which if you read the owners surveys AREN'T as bulletproof as VAG would like you to believe.
- It's got a better powertrain, and a more tuneful and involving engine. The VAG 1.8T is one of the most soulless engines around. High-revving engines are a real grin-factor, and while they take more driving to get the most from, I find it more involving...and with Honda 'boxes, you don't mind - best in the business!

But a 2nd hand STi will always be more car than a new CTR...if it was the WRX, it would be a close call, IMHO.