Sponsored by:

newbie advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2014, 03:55 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie advice

looking at getting and impreza either hawkeye or the newer hatchback.

i know a lot of people wont like this but its the reason im thinking about an impreza.... i will need to lpg it.

Anyone have any advice/experience on what i need to look out for when buying one especially seeing all the engine failures on the hatch (Did this ever get resolved or are there still lots of hatch's just waiting to die) should i stay away from them completely?
Old 16 August 2014, 04:55 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peo1000
looking at getting and impreza either hawkeye or the newer hatchback.

i know a lot of people wont like this but its the reason im thinking about an impreza.... i will need to lpg it.

Anyone have any advice/experience on what i need to look out for when buying one especially seeing all the engine failures on the hatch (Did this ever get resolved or are there still lots of hatch's just waiting to die) should i stay away from them completely?
Whether you are a fan of the 2.5 or not everyone will admit that the 2.5 isn't a stong engine, with you mentioning the hatch it makes me think you could afford a hawkeye with a forged engine.

I would get the hawk which does seem to have had less problems than the hatch in standard form but if you forged either one would be fine, it would cost about 3-4k for the rebuild at a minimum but good secondhand ones can be found.

You mentioned lpg, assuming this is for better mpg the 2.5's have fly-by-wire throttle so you could get ECUTEK racerom that has duel maps that means you could have one map for fuel economy ie less power and the other map with bigger than standard power and a few toys like launch control and flat foot shifting etc.
Old 16 August 2014, 05:02 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

avoid the 2.5 unless its already been forged, if you really want a hatch or a hawk buy a jdm one as they ftted the 2.0 still.

the fly by dire set up is awful too.
Old 16 August 2014, 05:03 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

a dual rom for econmy does like a good idea but i dont think it will get to the type of mpg im wanting, i know imprezas are thirsty but im not just wanting a few extra mpg i need almost diesel economy but dont want a diesel the whole dpf issue has scared me away from them.
Old 16 August 2014, 05:05 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

if you want diesel economy you are looking at about the least likely car to achieve it.
Old 16 August 2014, 05:13 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

a dual rom for econmy does like a good idea but i dont think it will get to the type of mpg im wanting, i know imprezas are thirsty but im not just wanting a few extra mpg i need almost diesel economy but dont want a diesel the whole dpf issue has scared me away from them.
If your set on getting lpg then you need to speak to a SUBARU engine builder not just the person who wants to sell the lpg conversion to you.
Old 16 August 2014, 05:25 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LPG conversion on an Impreza This is a wind up surely?
Old 16 August 2014, 06:00 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

i know they are thirsty but mid to high 40's (so 24ish mpg on lpg) sounds about right and will be a hell of a lot more fun than being stuck in tractor power or small gutless petrol, surely?

thats good advise about talking to an engine builder but thats exactly why im on here what better place to find one?
Old 16 August 2014, 06:02 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

i know they are thirsty but mid to high 40's (so 24ish mpg on lpg) sounds about right and will be a hell of a lot more fun than being stuck in tractor power or small gutless petrol, surely?

thats good advise about talking to an engine builder but thats exactly why im on here what better place to find one?
mid to high 40's in an impreza.....................

never
Old 16 August 2014, 06:11 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

lpg half the price of petrol, lpg will do slightly less mpg so 24ish but its half the cost soooooo, equivalent of mid to high 40's
Old 16 August 2014, 06:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

lpg half the price of petrol, lpg will do slightly less mpg so 24ish but its half the cost soooooo, equivalent of mid to high 40's
but factor in the costs of the conversion and rather than spend two to three k just spend the money on proper fuel
Old 16 August 2014, 06:29 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

it will be about £1500 to install which would have paid itself off after roughly 18 month on the miles i do, but imagine pulling up and filling the tank for £30 and getting 250 mile from it driving normally not eco driving, dont that sound good?

and if my "man math" is right it should be possible, i just would like to hear from someone that has had experience, so i know it can be done and that the engine wont suffer valve seat recession or any other problems.
Old 17 August 2014, 03:46 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

it will be about £1500 to install which would have paid itself off after roughly 18 month on the miles i do, but imagine pulling up and filling the tank for £30 and getting 250 mile from it driving normally not eco driving, dont that sound good?

and if my "man math" is right it should be possible, i just would like to hear from someone that has had experience, so i know it can be done and that the engine wont suffer valve seat recession or any other problems.
There's at least one member on here thats got a scooby with lpg and ive seen a few more but would suspect that it requires a top notch job from the right guy.

You could always start another thread titled LPG conversion etc but be prepared for not only people giving you grief about it being the wrong car for you but the fact that you want a 2.5 is not very popular. You may also need forged pistons, the 2.5 hawkeye sti IMO is not as bad as some may say but even so in standard form, ie no forged pistons (better pistons) it's not the strongest of engine's, add lpg into the mix and with out some extra safety measures it could be a disaster.

You given it 18 months for lpg to pay you back but if the engine goes it's going to be at least a extra 3k bringing it to close to 5k if not more, in that case it would take you about 6 years to get your money back.

p.s the re sale value of a lpg sti might not be as stong so maybe factor that in, could be better but don't know.
Old 18 August 2014, 12:48 PM
peo1000
Scooby Newbie

i know people dont like lpg and not mater what car you look at fitting it to people scoff but in the impreza case it would turn a weekend car into a daily driver, is that so bad?

i didnt know that the 2.5 was that unreliable but i will be using the car daily so a 10year old car to get the 2.0 is just too old, thanks for the response though it maybe the best ive had.

looks like i may have to find something else unless i can find a forged engine at a decent price, which is a shame i liked the idea of an impreza.