Tracker Monitor vs RAC Trackstar +

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 10:31 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker Monitor vs RAC Trackstar +

Guys and gals...

I need to decide by the end of today which one of the above I am to have fitted on my scoob. I've got to have one as tesco wont insure me otherwise

What are peoples experiences of both? Whats the safe speed option like on the trackstar etc? What problems have people experienced?

Much appreciated
Old 23 March 2005, 10:41 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Does it matter?. If it's purely for insurance the cheapest would be best, after all you probably won't want it back if it was nicked!
Old 23 March 2005, 11:12 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

I'm happy with my RAC Trackstar - safespeed works very well and I've had a good experience dealing with the Trackstar people. It's what the car came with so I haven't done a serious comparison with Tracker.
Old 23 March 2005, 11:41 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Does it matter?. If it's purely for insurance the cheapest would be best, after all you probably won't want it back if it was nicked!
Well yes it does.... I've heard reports of peoples cars being moved and the tracker system not knowing etc... customer services etc?

Spec-cie how does the safespeed thingie work? does it just beep? is it loud? can you turn it off?

Thanks
Old 23 March 2005, 12:22 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

RAC Trackstars are a waist of time IMOHO. I had one on my Evo 8 MR. It got stolen, phoned up trackstar. Couldn't ping the tracker or nothing. Works on GPS system similar to a mobile phone and you know how good they are for coverage.
I would go for the Trakker Retreive or Monitor, works on VHF, so even if the cars put in a container or out of range of GPS it can still work.
After all you only know how good the tracker is is when you come to use it and in my case it was too late!
Old 23 March 2005, 12:29 PM
STi Blues
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by compshack
RAC Trackstars are a waist of time IMOHO. I had one on my Evo 8 MR. It got stolen, phoned up trackstar. Couldn't ping the tracker or nothing. Works on GPS system similar to a mobile phone and you know how good they are for coverage.
I would go for the Trakker Retreive or Monitor, works on VHF, so even if the cars put in a container or out of range of GPS it can still work.
After all you only know how good the tracker is is when you come to use it and in my case it was too late!

Had Tracker Monitor in old car - new one had Trackstar installed - what is this Safespeed thingy? Only had car a week - what should I be looking/listening for?!?
Old 23 March 2005, 12:31 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by compshack
RAC Trackstars are a waste of time IMOHO.
I agree. Two people I know had them both cars vanished without a trace.

Mine - moved it around to test it out with the system armed. No phone call.

I do have the tracker monitor on it too but the insurance company specified Trackstar Plus so thats what I had fitted.

Still - it suits my purpose of reducing my insurance quote by a massive margin. The fact it doesn't do what they claim in my experiance and that of my friends suits me. I dont want it back if it gets nicked anyway!
Old 23 March 2005, 12:35 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

cheers for the feedback....tracker monitor it is then!
Old 23 March 2005, 02:41 PM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Yeah,

I have a tracker monitor fitted to my new my05 sti, seems to work well, it's a lot better as it does not use gps, it uses RF signal. most people seem to report problems with trackstar as they use gps and if a car goes undergound or in the back of a lorry then IMO they struggle to report home...

But at the end of the day it has to be you choice