Richard Burns p1 is no more.

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2005, 04:51 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Richard Burns p1 is no more.

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that I killed Richard Burns P1 on Friday . Back end stepped out on me on Dorney Road in Slough (on the 2nd zig zag corner between Dorney and taplow sainsburys for those that know it) started to fishtail but kept the power in and managed to control it on the third fishtail but by then had ran out of road and hit the Kerb broadside on the passenger side. This snapped my head sideways into the window/ door frame knocking me unconscious, the car then flipped over onto its back with the boot smashing into the ground, it then flipped onto the drivers side and eventually back onto its wheels. Fortunately my two passengers (one my boss!) were virtually unhurt, just small cuts and bruises (they were sat on the passenger side so avoided being knocked out). I was unconscious at the scene so was immediately taken to Wrexham Park in an ambulance. Haven't seen the car yet but my passengers say it was definately a write off. Still feel pretty shaken and my heads pounding but at least everyone was relatively unscathed.
Old 21 March 2005, 04:53 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Its only metal at the end of the day, glad everyones OK
Old 21 March 2005, 05:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a very painful experience. Gutted for you, I know what it is like to have your car written off. Happened to me just over a month ago, its no fun.

Glad the hear that everyone is OK, apart from your sore head. Hopefully all will be OK with the insurance so you can start to look for another nice car
Old 21 March 2005, 07:50 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

That's very bad news mate. Glad to hear you're okay if a bit hurt and p!ssed off. It was a lovely car ... I knew the Aussie who bought it from Richard and drove it a couple of times ... but it is still only metal at the end of the day.
Old 21 March 2005, 08:54 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Cool

www.learntodrivesideways.com

glad everyone is OK both in and out of the car.
Old 21 March 2005, 08:58 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

would help if the link work col
Old 21 March 2005, 09:02 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

It was a joke
Old 21 March 2005, 09:50 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

any photos?
Old 21 March 2005, 10:06 PM
GTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Glad you are ok.

The residents are going to go mental, there are so many accidents on those bends. Rumour has it they want a 20 in force.

I was once being taken out by a guy from Ralliart (he had come from the midlands to demonstrate the 330 Evo) as we approached those bends at 110.

I was in the back of the car, sat behind the drive. I could tell I did not like or rate this guy's driving as soon as we set off and regretted getting in it.

With a vast amount of racing experience under my belt, whilst knowing the Evo is a capable car, I know when people are taking liberties and taking the mick, I was so scared for my life I cannot explain.

I had the material (leather alcantara combo) a good foot high off the seat in anticipation for the worst. The car was well out of control, way past its limits, the guy was out of his depth. The car slid around the outside of the bend on the wrong side of the road - at this point, if anything had been coming it would have been death. We somehow came out of the corner back onto the straight all over the road. The guy shrugged his shoulders in a cocky manor and dismissed just putting his two passengers in such a compromising situation. He boasted we had only dipped below 80mph on the second corner - anyone who knows the road will simply not believe this possible, but he was doing 90mph as I caught a glimps as we went around the first bend.

I asked to be let out, the guy would not respond to my request. He continued to drive in a way that I would describe as appalling; putting the average motorist in serious risk as we slid all over the road just missing oncoming cars as the car scrabbled for grip.

As we got to the end of the country road (about 2miles long) the brakes had given up as we approached a junction we only just stopped. The brakes were poring with black smoke so much that we had to wait for the smoke to clear so we could see, no joke.

It was the worst motoring experience I have had by a long way.

By the end of the day the locals had informed the largest undercover traffic police base in Berkshire, which is 20metres from the road and corners in question. I was made aware of this because an acquaintance told me the following week a Mitsubishi had been flying around all day out of control near his parents whilst he was visiting. His parents failed to see the need to drive so fast in a built up area.

I recommend people treat those bends with a bit of respect. They bite as this thread demonstrates.

GTTurbo
Old 21 March 2005, 10:11 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

GT Turbo a punch on the back of the head would have sorted it!
Old 21 March 2005, 11:14 PM
GTTurbo
Scooby Regular

sorry?
Old 21 March 2005, 11:19 PM
budgie55
Scooby Regular

the guy who was driving you I think he means
Old 21 March 2005, 11:23 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

GTTurbo,

I would have politely informed himt hat if he didn't stop IMMEDIATELY, then the consequences would be extremely detrimental to his health!

Its bad enough putting your own life in danger, but blatantly risking others is unforgiveable.

I'd have ******* lamped him!
Old 21 March 2005, 11:31 PM
GTTurbo
Scooby Regular

Yes fair point.

The guy had practically warn the brakes, tyres and my neck out in two miles!

I wonder how that car drives today.

What will the P1 be replaced with?
Old 22 March 2005, 12:35 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about that moo...
glad your all OK
Old 22 March 2005, 05:14 AM
CA7636
Scooby Newbie

I really feel for you buddy.Apart from the fact it was a unique car it was your car and all serious Scooby owners grow a big attatchment to their baby's.
Thankfully RBP1 managed to protect you and your passengers right to the end and you were only a bit bruised by the experience.
Little consolation as you replay the accident over and over in your mind wondering what you would or should have done differently if you had another chance.
Most importantly- no injuries and we look forward to hearing about the upcoming replacement!
Take it easy and feel better-Steven
Old 22 March 2005, 09:51 AM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Going to look at the car today which will be a bit of a gut wrenching experience I don't know what to replace it with, my head and wallet say something slower, more sensible and cheaper to run. My heart and wallet say a vx220 turbo for summer fun and lower running costs. At the moment I am just thankful no-one was seriously injured.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:16 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

I certainly wouldnt recommend a VX if you lost the back end of a scoob........
Old 22 March 2005, 10:49 AM
CA7636
Scooby Newbie

Don't get to freaked out when you see the car.It happened and you have walked away but with all the crappy weather you get in the UK I'd stick to 4-WD.(besides summer in Britain only lasts 6 weeks!)
A nice new STI with DCCD sounds about right.
Steven
Old 22 March 2005, 01:40 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the P1 now (rough area) as I just passed a battered P1 in an accident pound in Hayes with someone looking over it. Not a million miles away either.

Cliff
Old 22 March 2005, 01:49 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GTTurbo
Glad you are ok.

The residents are going to go mental, there are so many accidents on those bends. Rumour has it they want a 20 in force.

I was once being taken out by a guy from Ralliart (he had come from the midlands to demonstrate the 330 Evo) as we approached those bends at 110.

I was in the back of the car, sat behind the drive. I could tell I did not like or rate this guy's driving as soon as we set off and regretted getting in it.

With a vast amount of racing experience under my belt, whilst knowing the Evo is a capable car, I know when people are taking liberties and taking the mick, I was so scared for my life I cannot explain.

I had the material (leather alcantara combo) a good foot high off the seat in anticipation for the worst. The car was well out of control, way past its limits, the guy was out of his depth. The car slid around the outside of the bend on the wrong side of the road - at this point, if anything had been coming it would have been death. We somehow came out of the corner back onto the straight all over the road. The guy shrugged his shoulders in a cocky manor and dismissed just putting his two passengers in such a compromising situation. He boasted we had only dipped below 80mph on the second corner - anyone who knows the road will simply not believe this possible, but he was doing 90mph as I caught a glimps as we went around the first bend.

I asked to be let out, the guy would not respond to my request. He continued to drive in a way that I would describe as appalling; putting the average motorist in serious risk as we slid all over the road just missing oncoming cars as the car scrabbled for grip.

As we got to the end of the country road (about 2miles long) the brakes had given up as we approached a junction we only just stopped. The brakes were poring with black smoke so much that we had to wait for the smoke to clear so we could see, no joke.

It was the worst motoring experience I have had by a long way.

By the end of the day the locals had informed the largest undercover traffic police base in Berkshire, which is 20metres from the road and corners in question. I was made aware of this because an acquaintance told me the following week a Mitsubishi had been flying around all day out of control near his parents whilst he was visiting. His parents failed to see the need to drive so fast in a built up area.

I recommend people treat those bends with a bit of respect. They bite as this thread demonstrates.

GTTurbo
bit of a jackanory?? lol
Old 22 March 2005, 01:51 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobymoo
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that I killed Richard Burns P1 on Friday . Back end stepped out on me on Dorney Road in Slough (on the 2nd zig zag corner between Dorney and taplow sainsburys for those that know it) started to fishtail but kept the power in and managed to control it on the third fishtail but by then had ran out of road and hit the Kerb broadside on the passenger side. This snapped my head sideways into the window/ door frame knocking me unconscious, the car then flipped over onto its back with the boot smashing into the ground, it then flipped onto the drivers side and eventually back onto its wheels. Fortunately my two passengers (one my boss!) were virtually unhurt, just small cuts and bruises (they were sat on the passenger side so avoided being knocked out). I was unconscious at the scene so was immediately taken to Wrexham Park in an ambulance. Haven't seen the car yet but my passengers say it was definately a write off. Still feel pretty shaken and my heads pounding but at least everyone was relatively unscathed.
dont get a vx220 maybe something 1 litre you might be able to control
Old 22 March 2005, 02:27 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

my 99 classic up for sale soon (275BHP).....
Old 22 March 2005, 02:45 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v5 man
Where is the P1 now (rough area) as I just passed a battered P1 in an accident pound in Hayes with someone looking over it. Not a million miles away either.

Cliff
Yep that was me I have just been to look at it and get my stuff, broke my heart.
Old 22 March 2005, 02:50 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

The main thing is your OK.

What sort of speed were you doing ?
Old 22 March 2005, 03:05 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Would get a VX Turbo cautiously, Subaru's are just kiddies cars in comparison to RWD performance cars, those without traction control anyway, 4WD does all the work so you dont have to, boring, but safe, especially combined with the fact that from the sound of it, if you'd been in something like a VX when it happened, you'd have more than just a sore head.

Saying that, it may be that sense of security that can make you push harder than you should, in a RWD you're constantly aware of various consequences to your actions, so you may find you drive them more safely than a 4WD.
Old 22 March 2005, 03:13 PM
Tarquin Po
Scooby Regular

Scarey how quickly these things happen at the speed limit isn't it. Imagine what would have happened if you had been travelling in excess of:

the speed limits (a minor point)
what was appropriate for the road conditions
what was appropriate for your level of ability

Try PassPlus.

Oh and you do actually have my sympathy for destroying such a lovely car through your own stupidity.
Old 22 March 2005, 03:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Awww, people are being mean here. We all screw up from time to time. Even if you have been professionally trained and practiced what you have been taught loads, you will still make the odd error.

I'm sure that he has learned something from this.
Old 22 March 2005, 03:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

How fast where you going?
Old 22 March 2005, 03:36 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Yep as usual, judge, jury and executioner all lined up ready without knowing anything about the speeds involved, road conditions etc etc. Give the guy a break he's already gutted.

Bad news mate, hope everything gets sorted soon.

Quick Reply: Richard Burns p1 is no more.