Sponsored by:

WR1, 05 STi or wait for 06???

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2005, 01:43 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1, 05 STi or wait for 06???

wondered what peoples thoughts were as title.

desperate to get back to scooby ownership, but with all the talk of a new model around the corner, Ive been put off purchasing an 05 STi at the mo, due to potential residual value horror stories, and having a new car outdated within less than 12 months.

a WR1 has a certain appeal, due to the limited status, which would hopefully hold its value slightly better than an 05 STi (plus it comes ready fitted with the right bits).

the thought of buying an 05 now, only to shed money when a new model appears, is a big put off.

I know everyone says dont buy a new car if youre worried about losing money etc, but I want a new car, just want to limit the pain.

oh, have also seen new STis with big money knocked off at dealers.

any thoughts??
Old 21 March 2005, 02:10 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

wait till the 06 as otherwise you will just lose money
martin
Old 21 March 2005, 02:36 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what the MY06 looks like! If it is as ugly as some of the Photoshop versions I have seen the MY05's might go up in value!
Old 21 March 2005, 03:01 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
wait till the 06 as otherwise you will just lose money
martin
Waiting for the next new model will not prevent you losing money on a new car.
There will always be a newer better one just around the corner.

If this is of great concern to you then really the only way forward is to get a used (say 6-12months old) car.

Alternatively just don't buy a subaru.(but you'll be missing out)
Old 21 March 2005, 03:12 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Talking

Personally, i'd wait for the 06 model and see the public's perception on it. If it receives bad publicity then go and get an 05 which will be cheaper anyway.
Old 21 March 2005, 03:27 PM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

With the expected face lift (good, bad, ugly...or whatever) if you wait for an MY06 at least people will know you've got the 'new' model - if that bothers you

The more appealing factor for me is that a UK model MY06 may be available with a 2.5 litre lump. IMHO a significant difference from all past models, whether limited editions or not
Old 21 March 2005, 04:21 PM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

special editions usually hold there resale value better 22B p1 but the latest scoob will have more development the wr1 is a top drive. is the new sti going to have 320bhp or more ?
Old 21 March 2005, 04:34 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

allegedly the 06 model may have twinscoll turbo/350bhp ppp/2.5 l engine-any of which are worth waiting for
martin
Old 21 March 2005, 05:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There will *always* be a better impreza coming out next year... It's what car manufacturers do. Neither will avoid you being shafted - just ask P1 owners, UK 300 owners, STI v7 Type UK owners, sti v8 type UK owners...
Old 21 March 2005, 06:28 PM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

(Flak jacket on) As a WR1 owner I can definitely recommend the car. (Flak jacket off.

You can pick them up for around £27k now. Whether you would notice the extra 15 Bhp on the road over an MY05 STi+ppp I wouldn't know. But as you say, the residuals should be marginally better due to limited numbers.

Blobster
Old 21 March 2005, 06:29 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

buy a spec'c'.........
Old 21 March 2005, 06:41 PM
rizzy
BANNED

am selling the wr1 if ya want one
Old 21 March 2005, 06:41 PM
BOBBY G
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
allegedly the 06 model may have twinscoll turbo/350bhp ppp/2.5 l engine-any of which are worth waiting for
martin
I heard from a reliable source that it is going to have a quad turbo V8. I think that is well worth the wait!
Old 21 March 2005, 06:57 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Default i'd wait............

Originally Posted by Andy-pay

desperate to get back to scooby ownership, but with all the talk of a new model around the corner, Ive been put off purchasing an 05 STi at the mo, due to potential residual value horror stories, and having a new car outdated within less than 12 months.

a WR1 has a certain appeal, due to the limited status, which would hopefully hold its value slightly better than an 05 STi (plus it comes ready fitted with the right bits).

the thought of buying an 05 now, only to shed money when a new model appears, is a big put off.

I know everyone says dont buy a new car if youre worried about losing money etc, but I want a new car, just want to limit the pain.

any thoughts??
until the my10 then you can be sure your getting the right car. Jeeez man just get and enjoy....lifes to short
Old 21 March 2005, 07:21 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cat7
until the my10 then you can be sure your getting the right car. Jeeez man just get and enjoy....lifes to short
another considered response from a scoobynet faithful.

anyway, back to the point.......

its the 2.5L I think that sounds appealing, particularly having had an 03STi PPP, the extra oomph is probably worth waiting for, all told.

Just not sure I can wait really, being an impatient bug9er.
Old 21 March 2005, 07:45 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Alternatively just don't buy a subaru.(but you'll be missing out)
I hadn't realised that we were unique and all other brands don't depreciate.
Unfortunate fact is that any new car (with VERY few exceptions) will depreciate. How do you get round it? You don't. Second hand cars will depreciate less, if you're keeping them for 3 years, IMHO new Euro imports will also depreciate a bit less than new UK cars.

Several people have found the WR1 and the STi PPP a bit "flat" at lower rpm. IF the new car is a 2.5, it won't suffer from that, the benefits of the higher torque with improved delivery should not be under-estimated. If not, the next best thing is a twin scroll car - e.g. Spec C.

Something else worth noting (slightly perversely). The WR1 is often actually cheaper to insure than a standard STi, which in turn can often be cheaper than a standard WRX. Add a PPP to the STi/WRX, you'll get stung on insurance for modifying it. With the WR1, it comes tuned "out of the box", so you don't get stung for mods - therefore it is almost always significantly cheaper/easier to insure than an STi PPP, despite more power etc.
Old 21 March 2005, 07:50 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I would say wait for the new one too. The new model isnt just a change as per the new 05 is on the 04 or blob on bug its a change to a new shape as per classic to bug eye/ blob. I bet once the new shape comes out there will inevitably improvements to areas and special models but enhancement to a model arent as big a difference to price as the change of shape.

Why did some people not buy a classic with the bhp of bug eye sti, when there was less than a year of the classics' life left?

The joy of having something totally new etc.

I am planning to go for the new one as the power attracts me and the on going handling performance too. I love b road driving, the way it clings to the road and the sound are reasons i plan to stay with subaru over the possible equivalents such as ford or mitsu. The look of the new one may be questionable, but until its finalised, there is no point arguing over it, but if it handles better than the 05/ spec C with more power i will be happy.

Can you wait for pretty much a year without a scooby is the question.
Old 22 March 2005, 09:49 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
I hadn't realised that we were unique and all other brands don't depreciate.
Unfortunate fact is that any new car (with VERY few exceptions) will depreciate.
It's those exceptions and other lower depreciating brands that I'm refering to.
Old 22 March 2005, 11:02 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

As said above, development means there will always be a better Impreza around the corner.

What you do depends entirely on your circumstances and taste though. Stis from '03 are great fun, as is the WR1, but it might be prudent to wait for the first official sightings of the new model before making a decision.

There are loads of stories about the 2.5 being put into the '06, and just as many different projected power figures. However, one things people haven't seemed to have gone into in any depth is what it'll look like. If it's stunning, and has the 2.5, I suspect current model prices will take a dive, making the '05 cars very affordable, but also making any sort of discount on an '06 impossible to find. On the other hand, if they haven't learned from the bugeye fiasco, and it's an eyesore, then you'd be better off picking up an '05, which in turn will suddenly become very sought after, like the 'classic' model did.

Personally, I've never really understood why people wait if they like the current model, as there'll always be a new and improved model 6 months after you by a new car, but I apreciate that it's a very difficult decision to make.

I'm afraid you simply have to be prepared to have the courage of your convictions, make a decision one way or the other and stick to it.

Josh
Old 22 March 2005, 11:15 AM
beankeef
Scooby Newbie

the my06 looks like a pig. I bought an my05 sti ppp because the DCCD is a must, turns the scoob into a true evo hunter, forget those people who say you never use it! it does the work for you if you don t fancy it! add that to possibly the last of the woofly uk spec engines and you have one of the classics of the line
Originally Posted by Andy-pay

any thoughts??
Old 22 March 2005, 08:28 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

yeah, of course Im gonna loose money buying a new car, I did when I bought the MY03 STi, but at the time it was a'brand new' shape just out, so was worth it. change in circumstances forced me to get rid, but an upturn means im on the lookout again.

its just frustrating knowing theres a new model around the corner - no one wants to buy a car they know is gonna be outdated in less than 12 months, really.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:00 PM
AshleyJ WRX
Scooby Regular

If you like the look of the 05 mate then buy it.

You want something with a bit more umph then there is always the Spec C.

2.5 is appealing thats why so many of us are sticking it in our scoobs! But to be honest if the 06 does look like the photoshops I will be keeping my STi8 for a lot longer. I would personaly never buy a 01-02 bug eye! Just my opinion and choice!
When all said and done I still realy like the STi5's.

Buy a private plate and just buy the car that gives you a "lazy lob"

2.5 or no 2.5 I couldnt drive around in a butt ugly car
Old 23 March 2005, 07:57 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

None of the '06 doctored images have any credibility at all IMHO.

Personally I think the '05 car looks great, so I bought one - a JDM model with the twin scroll turbo and the advanced engine that has VVT on all four camshafts. I plan to keep it at least as long as I did my last scooby (4+ yrs), so depreciation doesn't really bother me that much.

Subaru has a history of releasing newer and better Imprezas all the time, so there will never be a 'right' time to buy. The '06 car might be great, but then there will be the '06 special edition that you have to buy if you want PPP, then the '06 strangely-coloured-with-nice-wheels version, then the '07 with a different spoiler/lights/suspension/interior, then the '07 ultra-limited-edition JDM model with extra cup holders and a sports ECU... all of which are just around the corner and possibly worth waiting for.
Old 23 March 2005, 08:02 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with Andy, there is always a better model around the corner. That's how Subaru keep selling more cars, they can't afford to only bring out a new version every 3 years. If everyone held onto their cars for longer then second hand residuals would be miles better. The problem is that everyone wants the latest bells and whistles, so Subaru will always oblige.
Old 23 March 2005, 03:38 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
None of the '06 doctored images have any credibility at all IMHO.

Personally I think the '05 car looks great, so I bought one - a JDM model with the twin scroll turbo and the advanced engine that has VVT on all four camshafts. I plan to keep it at least as long as I did my last scooby (4+ yrs), so depreciation doesn't really bother me that much.

Subaru has a history of releasing newer and better Imprezas all the time, so there will never be a 'right' time to buy. The '06 car might be great, but then there will be the '06 special edition that you have to buy if you want PPP, then the '06 strangely-coloured-with-nice-wheels version, then the '07 with a different spoiler/lights/suspension/interior, then the '07 ultra-limited-edition JDM model with extra cup holders and a sports ECU... all of which are just around the corner and possibly worth waiting for.
so true
martin
Old 23 March 2005, 03:57 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

And in a years time you will be in the same position saying "06 now or wait for 07"

If you like a WR1 or 05 STI then get one now and enjoy.
Old 23 March 2005, 05:19 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant

And in a years time you will be in the same position saying "06 now or wait for 07"

If you like a WR1 or 05 STI then get one now and enjoy.
Yup, am doing just that - can't afford WR1 (no slagging match - it's outside my monthly range), can't wait for 06 so picking up an 05 this weekend, hopefully

Andy
Old 23 March 2005, 05:28 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

personally I would wait until the 2006 model.

of course they are constantly improving the car, but the leap from 2.0 to 2.5 is a bigger than usual improvement to a fundamental part of the vehicle.
Old 23 March 2005, 07:41 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
personally I would wait until the 2006 model.

of course they are constantly improving the car, but the leap from 2.0 to 2.5 is a bigger than usual improvement to a fundamental part of the vehicle.
thats what Im thinking.

constant updates are to be expected - this though could outdate an 05 v.quick. ie new shape AND potential 2.5 engine.

I certainly wouldnt have bought a new STi in October 02, knowing a new 03 shape was around the corner. all this talk of new shapes/engines just pts me off at the mo.

good to see other peoples views though.
Old 23 March 2005, 07:53 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Can anybody kindly put up a link to the photshopped 06 car?

Quick Reply: WR1, 05 STi or wait for 06???