Sponsored by:

Prodrive response required.....please

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2000, 11:11 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can you tell me anything about the Prodrive parts on my RB5 WRS/PPP.... especially the ECU.... gonna try and squeeze more power at some time and would like some advice...also, is the Prodrive exhaust just a backbox swap or would I have a whole new exhaust???

thanks in advance....
Dom
Old 31 August 2000, 08:20 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi Dom, I have always had UK scoobs and can answer a couple points.
NB- Prodrive do not supply your warranty, IM does, so if you are looking for warranty freindly upgrades you need to speak to them about validity.
1 - You will not be able to remap the ECU, you can piggyback it, Unichip, or replace it, Link - Motec - Pectel etc, but thats your lot I'm afraid. Technically these solutions void your warranty.
2 - PPP on your car swapped the backbox and centre section, leaving the standard downpipe. Getting a 'performance' downpipe (from any of the aftermarket suppliers) is another 'good' modification, but again, warranty is at risk. All sections are interchangeable, you can have Sccobysport downpipe, magnex centre section and prodrive babckbox if you wanted .
PPP no longer(from your MY) included upgrading the airfilter, Subaru/Prodrive say this is because none of the aftermarket ones meet their standard of filtration, so a Panel Filter or Induction kit can also help your performance. Once again, technically this infringes your warranty (due to the filtration issue).
Basically, once you have done your PPP, no other upgrade is open to you under the terms of the IM warranty.(Running on SUL though is better than NUL and the car will exploit this)
In actual fact though, many times a dealer will not notice/report any extra modifications you have done to your car should you be making a warranty claim, and you should suffer no reprocussions from doing extra mods.
I know people with 'understanding' dealers who are not aware of any modifications to their customers cars, despite the Induction kit etc staring them in the face when they open the bonnet, and the fact the select monitor doesn't work anymore .
Remember, the warranty after the 1st year is supplied by IM, not Subaru. So the European law stipulating fair market practice with regards to replacing parts with equivalent quality products being ok does not apply in this case (I believe, may be wrong though).
Regards
Charles
Old 01 September 2000, 10:24 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Dom

The PPP inludes centre and rear sections of the exhaust. The centre section now has no cat but does have a silencer so there is no increase in noise level. In our experience, changing panel filter has only a marginal effect on power output and as no aftermarket filter meets Subaru's filtration standards we do not offer one. Maintaining this standard is very important as several owners have found when their airflow meter plays up due to particulate or fluid contamination.
As stated by Chuckster, any other modifications would not be within the terms of your warranty. Whilst we are talking of warranty, at the moment the warranty is underwritten by IM from day 1, so they can insist that only approved parts are used to protect their warranty. This is not done to make it difficult for everyone, it's done so that they are sure that the car remains as reliable as possible for the owner.

Mike
Old 01 September 2000, 04:30 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mike,

Good to see you here, thanks for posting.

Are there are "official" figures fopr the PPP upgrade in terms of power and torque?. There is a lot of speculation as to the fact that the upgrade varies according to the car, is this the case?

Thanks

Tang
Old 01 September 2000, 04:50 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

thanks Mike,,

as we bought the RB5 instead of the WRX for the warranty, we won't be changing anything 'till the 3 years are up, just planning ahead...

Dom
Old 01 September 2000, 04:59 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The PPP gives a 10% increase in peak power and a 20% increase in peak torque. All cars std output vary slightly dependant on mileage and other factors.

Mike
Old 01 September 2000, 05:00 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike
Old 01 September 2000, 08:12 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

nice to have various Prodrive people posting here.

can only help scoobynet i think.

i'd luv a PPP as i drove a PPP car before buying my MY00.

Great low - mid range extra power / torque.

almost wish i'd bought an RB5 now myself...

keep posting you prodrive guys.

steve