Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Number Plate Spacing 11=A ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2000, 09:03 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there have been many threads on this topic. Does anyone know where I can find the official line on characters and spacing.

I want to get 11 to convert to A. Does the use of a black cap over the screw between the two 1's make the plate illegal?

I realise I can get away with one cap, or two one above the other?

Any comments most welcome

Alan
Old 31 August 2000, 09:20 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

There's been some big clamp downs on number plate font styles and spacings etc as the new cameras intend to read the plates, but they can only do this on standard plates.

Your car WILL fail an mot if you put the black caps where you said, but it doesnt stop you putting a standard one on for any mot's etc.

But you may get a pull and have an officer say something about your plate, at which time you will have to change it back.

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 31 August 2000).]
Old 31 August 2000, 09:20 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hi Alan

Quote from DVLA: To mis-space or misrepresent your numbers in any way is an offence under the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 1971

Sorry to be the kiljoy

Have a look at
Old 31 August 2000, 10:01 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. OK I'm happy to admit(on this BBS only) that I am trying to amend my plate. Why else would I buy it? A 4 instead of the two 1's would cost an extra grand or more!

I have the standard four letters and then the two 1's, which don't take up much room so I have a very short plate. I could always get the digits aligned to the official holes on the bumpers. Then it would be pure conincidence that a dot appears between the two 1's.
Old 31 August 2000, 04:06 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Can't see it mentioned on the (useless) DVLA website and I dunno if your already aware but heregoes:

<B>It is an offence under the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations Act 1971 (as amended) to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or number in order to form names or word.

OFFENDERS are liable to a MAXIMUM FINE of up to £1000 and the possibility that the mark may be WITHDRAWN. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates will now FAIL the MoT test.</B>

Under the three strikes and out policy, if the plate is reported to the DVLA 3 times, they will withdraw the VRM.

Old 31 August 2000, 04:49 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

OK, I'm not going to go too far with amending this plate.

In fact it's not even an amendment as I will be using legal plates, letters and spacing, but I want to put the (small) black cap of the fixings between the two 1's. I could even leave the cap off, then the fixing just happens to be in the wrong place?

Old 01 September 2000, 01:41 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

The number plate crack down campaign has been running for well over a year now and NOT one plate has been withdrawn. They tried it with some rich fella and got taken to court. This mainly applies to `cheap` private plates that people can mis space to read something else like P155 OFF obviously !!!!

You will be liable to be stopped and fined if seen. The big brother approach that DVLA will withdraw your number plate has about as much power as a soggy tea bag !!!

KRIS
Old 01 September 2000, 02:01 PM
g4vln
Scooby Regular

Try this mate.