Sponsored by:

New WRX + Spoiler.......

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2005, 04:25 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New WRX + Spoiler.......

Im in the process of ordering a new WR blue WRX. I want the sti soiler on it tho. I have spoke to dealer and they think cos its an option/ subaru part/ accessory that i dont have to tell my insurance company. This is because it would be fit before i take delivery and sign for the car Is this correct you think?
Old 16 March 2005, 04:42 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I think that sounds like bollox

How much would the insurance go up by if you disclosed the spoiler?

Edit: That's a bit like someone saying "Buy my modified car. Because it was already modified when you bought it, you don't have to tell the insurance company". This is obviously not true.
Old 16 March 2005, 04:45 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

As far a I'm aware all mods need to be disclosed to your insurance co..best to be safe than sorry and all that
Old 16 March 2005, 05:24 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I had a similar case with my C2. The car had no allys but i got the optional onces for the model dealer fit when the car was new before i picked it up. i told my insurance and they put it on the notes nbut the price was not affected as it was dealer fit to a new car. dont know wheather the price would change for a dealer fit spoiler to a new car
Old 16 March 2005, 06:49 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Your insurance company will (quite rightly) say that your car now looks like an STI (only to a muppet - but who says car thieves are necessarily clever?) and so you should attract a higher premium as the theft risk is higher.
Old 16 March 2005, 09:24 PM
Neils wrx
Scooby Regular

Direct Line put my premium up by about £30 (I think) for having the WR Sport Spoiler on it.
Old 16 March 2005, 10:45 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Put it this way:

If you bought and insured a new BMW 1 series (120iSE) at a basic price of around 20500, but neglected to tell the insurers that all of the options you chose gave the car a £33400 value Do you think they would happily pay out in the event of a claim?
Old 18 March 2005, 12:16 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Yea i see your points but a set of £400 alloys on my c2 didnt affect the premium so why would a £500 spoiler? If it only goes up by £30 id be chuffed. I was thinking they would just say "no we wont insure you with mods unless your 28" like a lot do
Old 18 March 2005, 12:37 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Yea i see your points but a set of £400 alloys on my c2 didnt affect the premium so why would a £500 spoiler? If it only goes up by £30 id be chuffed. I was thinking they would just say "no we wont insure you with mods unless your 28" like a lot do
Agreed mate, I know all mods should be declared from standard but it is a huge grey area

If someone with little knowledge on Subarus bought my car I am convinced that they would'nt disclose my spoiler because simply they would'nt know it was'nt factory fitted on my model
Old 18 March 2005, 12:43 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

I spoke to an insurance company and they said, in the event of your vehicle being stolen and they have change the alloys then you could plead your no expert on sports cars and wouldn't know if they were standard or not. Now whether they do anything or not is another matter.

If i purchased a scooby with different alloys i wouldn't tell my insurance as they had alloys in the 1st place. I guess Ic would react the same with the spoiler. My own opinion.
Old 18 March 2005, 06:36 PM
clan2_uk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
Im in the process of ordering a new WR blue WRX. I want the sti soiler on it tho. I have spoke to dealer and they think cos its an option/ subaru part/ accessory that i dont have to tell my insurance company. This is because it would be fit before i take delivery and sign for the car Is this correct you think?
From experience Privilege Insurance wanted an extra £130 for my rallytech rear spoiler on 2003 WRX. I even tried bluffing it that it was an optional extra but it made no difference. I got round it by saying that it was a smaller type boot lid spoiler different from standard and it worked in about £20 a year extra, which gave me piece of mind.
Old 18 March 2005, 10:14 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

priveledge put my premium up by nearly £200 because of the big spoiler, even though it is a subaru option Stupid thing is, the STI interior made no difference what so ever!!!! I think it all depends on the person you deal with that day
Old 19 March 2005, 12:16 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Totally depends on who you deal with. for example asian call centres (norwich union) with no idea about uk cars. before i purchased my insurance from tesco i rang and said there was no option when buying online for optional extras. they said its fine, just purchase the insurance off the net as the car being standard then ring us and we will put it on the notes and i would not be charged a penny. I did so and guess what? when i rang back i spoke to a different person and they tryed to say the last person was wrong and that i will be charged another £270 for my optional extra dealer fit alloys (same size and with same tyres). i argued and argued and then they agreed to disagree and i wasn't charged.
Old 19 March 2005, 09:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

If, in the event of a claim, an insurance inspector came out, how many would know that the wheels aren't standard. From my experience they're mainly conserned with tyre tread depth etc (ie road worthyness/legality).

However, there is always the risk they will try to worm out of a claim, but this applies even if you think you're all above board and covered..!

Jason