Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it mean to be an Impreza owner?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2005, 10:55 AM
Xorro
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does it mean to be an Impreza owner?

Hi all, I'm planning on an 02 WRX bug eye as my next car (to replace my 200bhp supercharged coupe)

Now, the Coupe shifts well and the handling is brilliant (thanks to lots of mods), would I be impressed with the handling and power of a standard Impreza?

The other thing that concerns me is the type of attention that the car would get? E.g. jealous people who would intentionally damage it, or the old bill following/baiting me? Boy racers tail-gating, that type of thing.

Maybe I'm paranoid? lol

Also, anything to look out for when buying an Impreza?

TIA
Old 15 March 2005, 11:02 AM
D0ctorWho
BANNED

Power of standard Impreza is not impressive. Cheap to get more out of it though.

I wouldn't have thought anyone is likely to be jealous either. Boy racers will hassle you, some on here report that the police pay them more attention.

Handling is OK in an AWD, understeery kind of way even with the geometry set as it should be. LOTS of grip though.

Lots to look out for but I'm no expert on bugeyes.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

In a week of ownership of a BMW 3 series estate, I've had more tossers trying to pretend I'm not on the road and cut me up left, right and centre than I did in 5 1/2 years in Impreza.

Guessing you've got a Corrado G60 at the moment? Lovely car... Would think you'd be looking at an STI to compare favourably, or a fairly modified classic. The bugeye was no great shakes handling wise compared to classics or 03s... Personally, I wouldn't have one but on the other hand plenty of people like 'em.

welcome to scoobydom
Old 15 March 2005, 11:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

In a week of ownership of a BMW 3 series estate, I've had more tossers trying to pretend I'm not on the road and cut me up left, right and centre than I did in 5 1/2 years in Impreza.
"Cut you up?", "pretend you aren't there?".

I know it's a beemer, but you ARE allowed to use the indicators you know.

Alcazar
Old 15 March 2005, 11:20 AM
Xorro
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So, I'd be better off with an 03 blob eye then, for better handling? Thats a shame because I prefer the look of the bug-eye (well, once its had some morrette headlights installed)

I should have been more specific, I have a (very modified) Hyundai Coupe - http://www.xorro.eclipse.co.uk/mycoupe.html
Old 15 March 2005, 11:30 AM
moo
Scooby Regular

I'm not too sure on how the bug eyes handle as i drive a classic but with a few mods you can have any Impreza set up to handle how you like.

As for the attention the car gets, its ok when you are being a hooligan but when you are simply going from a to b or running errands i find it can get a bit tedious. I get people wanting to talk to me when stopped at traffic lights and others who will risk their lives undertaking and weaving in and out of traffic to get in front.

Coppers are always a little nosey but haven't been pulled yet despite having an illegally sized front number plate!

I dont think you can be too paranoid with these cars, everyone knows about them...
Old 15 March 2005, 11:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Someone hit the drumroll thingy for Alcazar

I personally think you'd be better off with a blobeye. Bugeye owners will no doubt fight their corner when they see this . 03s still have quite a lot of body roll, but the body control seemed better than in the 01/02.

You will find a WRX quite wallowy compared to what you've got now, but you can fit eibachs like you have done to your Coupe and that does make a good change. Beyond that, you're into arbs, alks and all that sort of guff...
Old 15 March 2005, 11:34 AM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

every day is different. some days people want to race sometimes they dont. some days police want to check your car out for being stolen sometimes they dont. an impreza to me means the best of all worlds! great speed,mod cons,spacious,big boot,great handling. no more expensive on fuel than a v6 engine.

i dont like the bug eye but i do like the morette conversion. there is enough choice to get what eva subaru suits your needs. mine is to go fast, no need for big bodykits it just adds weight. it sounds to me you want a quick car that will be quite comfy,quite nippy and stand out a little? my advice to you is get an sti, your already half way there! I would expect the standard subaru to handle the same as ur modded car being only 2wd. Subaru's are getting more and more popular because you get alot for your money and everybody wants a good deal.

theres alot of info on this forum so if ur not sure just ask anyone and if they cant help they will tell you who can.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:40 AM
Xorro
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by V LTD sti type RA
it sounds to me you want a quick car that will be quite comfy,quite nippy and stand out a little? .
You are spot-on there!

I must say I'm impressed with the speed of replies, and quality of posts on here.

The Coupe has uprated anti-rolls bars, as well as front and rear strut braces, so as you can imagine its very flat and stable on hard cornering.

I would like to avoid doing too much in the way of mods to any car I get next, the Coupe went a bit extreme (styling and performance mods) so I would like to find something which meets my needs without too much tinkering. (she says)
Old 15 March 2005, 11:51 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Id go for an older classic shape. The best value with the best out of the box performance for the money youre looking to spend. 10k-14k should see you in a coupe Impreza sti4 or 5 typeR. The looks youre looking for will be there along with unbeatable performance. Forget lardy @rsed 4 door bug and blob eyes
Old 15 March 2005, 07:07 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

£10k - £14k for a car which is at least 5 years old - really??????

Go with a blobeye if you can get it or pay no more than £7k for a good clean, subtly modded classic. Imprezas are proving tricky to sell at the moment so it is a buyers market and a good time to buy privately, although dealers are quite overpriced often.

Brian
Old 15 March 2005, 10:28 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Just going from classic to bug eye - delivery expected either tomorrow or Thur thanks to DVLA delays with reg transfer.
Only a test drive in the bug eye so performance quirks are still to be learnt in detail but first impression was equally comparable - my classic had eibach springs so yeah theres a difference but so much grip its works well.
Im going to mod it gradually on the cheap over the coming months - the morrettes will be on when I pick it up, along with the boost gauge.
In short what Im trying to say is that whatever the version you cant go far wrong. I stay away from mid to high mileage with mods - usually driven to death on tracks / 1/4 miles or quiet lanes and a 50/50 on whether the owner/modifier did it coz they loved the car or because they loved scraggin the knackers of it. I went for low mileage (14k) untouched WRX this time - my very own blank canvas...
Anyhoo - go for it and enjoy