ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY05 Sti AMAZEMENT !

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 10:57 AM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MY05 Sti AMAZEMENT !

Well I have been the owner of my first scooby for almost 2 weeks now !

A MY05 STI !

I just can seem to get my head around how unresponsive the STI is from 1k rmp and 3k rpm...in first and second gear.

It just does not compare to my last car which was a Civic Typre R, I know the civic is a different car and geared totaly different....but it seems that with the sti...you just have to rev hard to get into the boost range fast....

Dont get me wrong once your in the boost range it is rapid...and great fun.....but then it's stinging you for loads of fuel consuption !

The sti has only done 653 miles so far...ans yes it is very tight at the mo.....but dont ever underestimate A CTR owner....cos unless you get into that boost 3k rpm range quick....it could be quite embarasing!!!!

Maybe after i get used to the scooby thing will be different....different car different driving style ! your thought's people ?

Have I made a mistake ?
Old 11 March 2005, 11:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have got a JDM twin scroll turbo car not a problem from 1k upwards

Now for the explenation
Tight engine (loosen up from 5k upwards)
Emissions.......
DOH!!
PPP time then?

Tony
Old 11 March 2005, 11:02 AM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

another scooby v ctr thread...................................
Old 11 March 2005, 11:05 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hardly say the CTR is that responsive until it climbs to the outer reaches of its rev range.

Does sound like PPP time though.
Old 11 March 2005, 11:08 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

You buy a scooby then compain about fuel consumption?
Old 11 March 2005, 11:14 AM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

PPP, my 03 STI pulls from 2k upwards (goes beserk at 3.5k though )
Old 11 March 2005, 11:19 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Agreed, the UK car is well known for this characteristic, which is why so many people (me included!) go for JDM imports instead.

What you need is the Prodrive Performance Pack, which transforms the power delivery and makes it much more flexible. Yours for about £2k IIRC.
Old 11 March 2005, 11:24 AM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

This is not a scooby vs CTR post at all....

Just wasnt expecting a scooby to be so laggy below 3k rpm unless reved hard....

Just different I guess.

So it could be another 2k For PPP then....is the fule consumption a lot worse with PPP ?
Old 11 March 2005, 11:28 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

PPP in itself doesn't adversely affect Fuel consumption, in fact it's probably slightly better...how you use it though may be a different story
Old 11 March 2005, 11:31 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you had a similar 'learning' period in the CTR before you got the best from it.

I have a MY03 STi TypeUK and also had a similar problem, but after a while I learnt how to get the best performance from it and really don't find it too much of a problem anymore.

Couldn't justify the £2k for the PPP myself, think I will wait for the warranty to end and go a different route
Old 11 March 2005, 11:36 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Sorry am I missing something?

You moved from a CTR to a STi and you are finding it unresponsive. It's called having a turbo, Turbo sools up and you get the power you need. Just like people who complain about the CTR having to rev it's nuts off to get the power. Two different engine types, you just have to decide how you like to drive.

PS Had a CTR and loved it but it was the traction in the wet/snow that killed it for me.
Old 11 March 2005, 11:36 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot

Couldn't justify the £2k for the PPP myself, think I will wait for the warranty to end and go a different route
I think i read some where that WRC technologies give you there own 5 year warrenty if you use there company to tune your car?? Not 100% sure - can anyone else confirm this???

Best of both worlds???
Old 11 March 2005, 11:43 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
I think i read some where that WRC technologies give you there own 5 year warrenty if you use there company to tune your car?? Not 100% sure - can anyone else confirm this???

Best of both worlds???
Sounds interesting!
Old 11 March 2005, 11:49 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Hi Montymole

This is an unfortunate characteristic of the standard UK STI.

When I got mine 2 months ago I too felt that the power was non existent below 3k rpm.I had already ordered the PPP and decided not to wait for the 1000 mile service before having it fitted precisely for this reason.

The PPP does make it better (although still not great) but all concerns disappear when the full 305bhp and 300lbs torque come thundering in!!!!!!

You just really need to adapt your driving style to take advantage of this.

Guy

BTW my previous car was an R32 - chalk and cheese - the torque from the VW at 2000 rpm was staggering!!!!
Old 11 March 2005, 11:50 AM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Yeah I have to agree also the CTR is a great car...and yes you do have to rev the pant's off it.....

As for driving in the wet and snow it's just a night mare....and very scary but i put that down to those Bridgstone Potanza's

Thats the Big posative with the sti.....just seems to grip grip and more grip.....

and the re070's are awsome....

Mybe after another 2 weeks drivin i will make ajust.....

But i know whats gona happen I just wont be happy till I waist 2k on the PPP...#

I wonder when i come to sell the car do you lose the 2k for the ppp or not ?
Old 11 March 2005, 11:53 AM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Hi Montymole

This is an unfortunate characteristic of the standard UK STI.

When I got mine 2 months ago I too felt that the power was non existent below 3k rpm.I had already ordered the PPP and decided not to wait for the 1000 mile service before having it fitted precisely for this reason.

The PPP does make it better (although still not great) but all concerns disappear when the full 305bhp and 300lbs torque come thundering in!!!!!!

You just really need to adapt your driving style to take advantage of this.

Guy

BTW my previous car was an R32 - chalk and cheese - the torque from the VW at 2000 rpm was staggering!!!!

Thanks for that..... I am glad it's not just me then....are you happy with your sti now ?

Compared to you r32......???????

And how do you find your fuel consuption comapred with and without PPP...

I am only getting 215 miles to a tank at the mo..... shell station know me on first name basis already !
Old 11 March 2005, 12:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Welcome to lagsville - they all do that sir I doubt the PPP will fill your needs either

What you need is a car with alot more grunt. How bigs your wallet?
Old 11 March 2005, 12:07 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by montymole1
Thanks for that..... I am glad it's not just me then....are you happy with your sti now ?

Compared to you r32......???????

And how do you find your fuel consuption comapred with and without PPP...

I am only getting 215 miles to a tank at the mo..... shell station know me on first name basis already !
I'm very very happy with it - it's just awesome!!! - only done 2.5k so still loosening up.

The R was a nice car but I always felt that it missed that vital sweet spot.It was quick but just not quick enough.
The STI (with PPP) on the other hand is blisteringly quick.I do miss the instant response of the 3.2L engine but not the hair trigger throttle or the very harsh ride.

You HAVE to PPP your car - it will be the best money you ever spent (well.......next to getting the STI in the 1st place).

Mileage wise - I get 220 - 240 with some squirting around.

Glad to be of help

Guy
Old 11 March 2005, 12:09 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

>>Just wasnt expecting a scooby to be so laggy below 3k rpm unless reved hard....

Maybe you should have tried a test drive first ???
Old 11 March 2005, 12:19 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I might be missing something, but at 650 miles you should still be running the bugger in.

Also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't the STi engines VVT style things like the STR anyway? Consequently they do prefer higher revs.

I suspect this, together with the tightness of the engine and the turbo lag is what you're experiencing.

Run it in properly, and let it loosen up, Then you'll find out how much quicker it is than your last car.

Josh
Old 11 March 2005, 12:20 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Scoob = turbo = low compression + longer gearing = poor throttle response and lag

CTR = tuned NA = high compression + shorter gearing = fantastic throttle response through out the rev range (if not patricularly quick at low revs)

Hardly rocket science

D
Old 11 March 2005, 12:26 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

If I got a JDM 03 STi, would it need to have the ECU remapped for UK fuel?
Old 11 March 2005, 12:27 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

PPP'd with my STI = Car runs so much better.
Old 11 March 2005, 12:33 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually if the JDM Integra Type-R I drove recently is anything to go by, the VVT engine is an amazing machine - when the 'hot' cam comes into play, the shove is very turbo-like.

It's just a shame it doesn't come in earlier; get the best from it and you find yourself having to lift off to change gear with the engine doing 8000rpm+. The engine braking that then occurs is strong enough to really upset the smooth flow of power that would otherwise be available.

VVT means you can have a low-rpm cam profiled for torque, and a high-rpm cam profiled for maximum top-end power - the best of both worlds, really. Unfortunately, the STI's low compression ratio means it really is quite gutless until the turbo really comes into play, and emissions regs cripple the car in this respect.

Allow it to breathe as intended, and remap the ECU, and it's a whole new ball game. That's what the PPP does, and I wouldn't consider a UK-spec STI without it.

The JDM '03 STI would need a remap, yes - but as well as allowing it to run safely, you'll get more power from it too. The midrange on my otherwise standard JDM '05 STI is quite startling.
Old 11 March 2005, 12:50 PM
STi_Bob
Scooby Regular

I've had quite a few high performance cars before my MY05 STI type UK, and to be honest, I felt quite disappointed with the performance of this car.

My last car was an AmD tuned R32, (re-map and exhaust) and I still have a standard R32 in the house (belonged to my dad before he passed away). Everytime I drive the R32, I feel like I can drive quickly very easily because of the vast amount of torque and the car handles very well, but not as well as a Scoob.

My two cars before the R32 were a 22B and a classic UK Turbo. I had a full GGR exhaust with Sports Cats, GGR induction kit and HKS SSQV's on both of them.

The 22B was very quick and a bit scary at times, I personally don't think they are well suited to British roads. The power looks good on paper but whats the point if you can't use it properly?

My favourite has still got to be the classic UK Turbo. It handled very well, was predictable at the limit, power delivery was never a problem either being 200kg lighter than a new age. It also felt the most raw out of them all so....

I had to spend some more on the STi type UK. My budget was £2K. I didn't want to just put on the PPP because I think the car handles very poorly in the wet with those ridiculous semi-slick tyres (which would be excellent if we lived in Sunny California). So I've bought a set of 18" PFF7's and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's (Cost £1340 all in) and have sold my old wheels and tyres for £540 on ebay. Thats an £800 upgrade. I changed the exhaust replacing the centre cat with a straight pipe and a Mongoose 4" back box. This cost about £280 and has free'd up the revs and turbo spools up much quicker, better sound and I'm sure I've released much more torque. I've also fitted an HKS SSQV (before everyone starts flaming me, I like the sound and have always had a VTA dump valve on my Turbos - I've never had any problems - even after covering 60,000 miles in 2 years in my Classic and I thrashed that car). I've got some Prodrive Spings on order which will then lower the car and hopefully sort out the handling a bit too with Powerstation geometry. This should cost another £400.

So, I reckon I'd have probably spent around £1500 in total and I think I have really improved the car. I know warranty is a big issue, but changing the exhaust took me half an hour, the dumpvalve 5 minutes and hey presto, the car will be covered my warranty again. My dealers very mod friendly too anyway. Never been a problem before.

My advice, be careful before you put on PPP, you'll have great power delivery which is great if you just want power for striaght runs. I like to push my STi around corners which is where the Impreza's are meant to come into their own. Up to you, I'd recommend you sort the handling and release a bit of torque by losing the centre cat - the JDM's come without it anyway!

I'm going to sit back now whilst everyone else rips me to pieces now for not having fitted a PPP and criticising the amazing Spec C suspension of the MY05 car (which is not exactly the same as the Spec C anyway)!
Old 11 March 2005, 12:51 PM
montymole1
Scooby Regular

Yeah thanks guy's !

I am still running it in....just with couple of spirt's hear and there...looks like I am gona have to make some plans for the PPP then....

Gona have to wait for a few month's as my wallet has already taken a hammering....

Whats this 1k service all about then....just an oil change is it ?

and i guess the 2k price tag for the PPP is the standard price....is it possiable to get it cheaper ?

and does the 2k spent help when selling the car or do u lose the money invested ?
Old 11 March 2005, 12:55 PM
STi_Bob
Scooby Regular

Oh and check your insurance before you have the PPP done, mine were quoting silly money (circa double). To change exhaust, wheels and susp cost another £100 for me.

Originally Posted by montymole1
Yeah thanks guy's !

I am still running it in....just with couple of spirt's hear and there...looks like I am gona have to make some plans for the PPP then....

Gona have to wait for a few month's as my wallet has already taken a hammering....

Whats this 1k service all about then....just an oil change is it ?

and i guess the 2k price tag for the PPP is the standard price....is it possiable to get it cheaper ?

and does the 2k spent help when selling the car or do u lose the money invested ?
Old 11 March 2005, 01:07 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

You can negotiate a discount on the PPP although would have been better to do this when buying the car new as you're in a strong position but you may be lucky with your dealer.
1k service is essentially an oil change and checkover - can be done while you wait if booked in..

I was told PPP is worth about a third of what you paid for it when you trade it in..
Old 11 March 2005, 01:54 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bartop
I was told PPP is worth about a third of what you paid for it when you trade it in..
Probably more like half I'd say.

Shaun
Old 11 March 2005, 04:46 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Trade it in for a diesel, they have lots of low end torque and will "feel" faster than your CTR.

Personally I don't usually stry below 3K and drop the clutch from 5000 revs every time I set off, so haven't noticed mine being slow off the line!!!

Quick Reply: MY05 Sti AMAZEMENT !