Going to see a 96 WRX...

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2005, 01:10 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Going to see a 96 WRX...

Hi all,

Is there somewhere on the web which has a buyers guide to imprezas? I will be going to see a 96 WRX on 40k miles today. Apparently its completely standard and has just been imported into the country. What do I need to look out for? Known problems etc? It has Japanese service history as well.
Other than condition is there a way to check to see if the engines on its last knockings or if somethings on its way out? All them posts about WRX engines going bang has made me a tad wary...(I know I know buying a 96 WRX is realistically a very unsound move but ive got my heart set on it. At 40k miles as well its worth checking out!!)

Cheers all in advance and apologies for my complete lack of motor knowledge!

Feffs
Old 08 March 2005, 01:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese service history? Highly unlikely; the Japanese dealers use a computerised service record; the book, though supplied, is never filled in. Out of perhaps 1000 vehicles offered at domestic auctions, maybe one has the books, but these are never completed. When ever I say this I always get a number of replies from people saying that their car must be the 'one in a thousand' then..... It might be; and for higher value vehicles it may be worth contacting the dealers and getting a paper record completed but Id be extremely suspiscious.

Its common for Japanese cars to have an 'oilchange due:' sticker on the dash side, inside the door-shut' area, stating the due date/mileage; also a 'cambelt changed:' mileage sticker on the cambelt cover; if these are missing youll know what the craic is wont you.....?

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 01:56 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon,thanks for the that, I will keep my eyes peeled for those stickers.

Originally Posted by GC8
Japanese service history? Highly unlikely; the Japanese dealers use a computerised service record; the book, though supplied, is never filled in. Out of perhaps 1000 vehicles offered at domestic auctions, maybe one has the books, but these are never completed. When ever I say this I always get a number of replies from people saying that their car must be the 'one in a thousand' then..... It might be; and for higher value vehicles it may be worth contacting the dealers and getting a paper record completed but Id be extremely suspiscious.

Its common for Japanese cars to have an 'oilchange due:' sticker on the dash side, inside the door-shut' area, stating the due date/mileage; also a 'cambelt changed:' mileage sticker on the cambelt cover; if these are missing youll know what the craic is wont you.....?

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 02:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Their not being present doesnt always mean that somethings afoot, they can be cleaned off during an over-enthusiastic valet but Id look at the rest of the car very carefully... Can you see that Auction Appraisal Sheet? If the importer bought the car from auction directly then theres no reason at all why not; in fact, its a sales aid, assuming the car had a good grade.... If they didnt buy the car directly then they cant really make any claims about the car.

If the stickers were missing, the car has a low mileage (say 60,000 Kms), it has a service book and theres no appraisal sheet then I wouldnt entertain it if I were you.

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 03:52 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Their not being present doesnt always mean that somethings afoot, they can be cleaned off during an over-enthusiastic valet but Id look at the rest of the car very carefully... Can you see that Auction Appraisal Sheet? If the importer bought the car from auction directly then theres no reason at all why not; in fact, its a sales aid, assuming the car had a good grade.... If they didnt buy the car directly then they cant really make any claims about the car.

If the stickers were missing, the car has a low mileage (say 60,000 Kms), it has a service book and theres no appraisal sheet then I wouldnt entertain it if I were you.

Simon
Im afraid this is twoddle!!! Don't buy a car because the stickers are missing and it has a low mileage etc..If we all did this there would never be an import sold!!
Im afraid that buying an import car is always going to be a gamble but its one that some of us choose to use are common sense about.
Take a good look at the car, DRIVE IT, do all of the usual things you do on a test drive...check for clutch ware, have a look at the oil and the inside of the oil filler cap( for head gasket problems)....take somebody who knows a bit about cars if you're unsure. And then take a gamble....as anybody does when buying a used car!!
I brought my '93 WRX from an importer, it had no STICKERS, it had the unstamped service history book, it had only 40k on the clock...and its been the best motor ive ever had...It drives well, it looks good(imo), and its never given me any big bills (touch wood).
Use your common sense and your eyesight. If the cars a dog it will be immediately obvious.
Sorry for the essay!!

Gav.
Old 08 March 2005, 04:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

See? Here we go... you bought an imported car and now youre an expert. You know nothing about this do you Gav?

Ive lost count of the number of cars that Ive imported, half of which have been Imprezas and what I say is based on my experience, something that you dont have.

The majority of Japanese cars do have a low mileage compared to British cars but extremely low odometer readings are extremely rare. The country in now full of dubious quality imports sourced by 'importers' from docks auctions, where so many have been 'cleaned', had their auction sheets removed and their odometers altered. Virtually every Japanese car has the stickers mentioned on; if theyre missing you should consider why instead of deriding my more knowledgable post. The blank service coupon book supports what Ive said doesnt it? Everyones an expert ffs.

Edited to add: Did you actually read either of my posts before writing?

Simon (car importer)

Last edited by GC8; 08 March 2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08 March 2005, 04:35 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
See? Here we go... you bought an imported car and now youre an expert. You know nothing about this do you Gav?

Ive lost count of the number of cars that Ive imported, half of which have been Imprezas and what I say is based on my experience, something that you dont have.

The majority of Japanese cars do have a low mileage compared to British cars but extremely low odometer readings are extremely rare. The country in now full of dubious quality imports sourced by 'importers' from docks auctions, where so many have been 'cleaned', had their auction sheets removed and their odometers altered. Virtually every Japanese car has the stickers mentioned on; if theyre missing you should consider why instead of deriding my more knowledgable post. The blank service coupon book supports what Ive said doesnt it? Everyones an expert ffs.

Edited to add: Did you actually read either of my posts before writing?

Simon (car importer)
Simon,

Calm down its only a commercial!!

I never proffessed to be an expert in anything i was just simply stating that buying a used car, be it imported or a UK model is simply about common sense and to some extent taking a gamble. Your comments about the stickers and paper work are valid in so much that they give you a little more info' about the car, but surely they're not a reason to walk away from a motor that other than this looks to be a good buy and is in sound mechanical order as far as the buyer can tell.
Sorry if i trod on your toes Mr Car Importer but from the everyday normal joe's perpective i still believe that car buying is 10% knowledge and 90% luck.
As i so obviously know nothing compared to your almighty wisdom i will now bow out of this argument and return to the "whats on tv tonight" threads!!

Gav.

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2005, 04:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You can remove most of the risk by ensuring that you buy a car from an importer who makes the auction appraisal sheet available to you; you should be looking for a Grade 4 car; if the odometer reading is over 100,000Kms then a 3.5 will probably be OK too. The odometer reading will be recorded on the appraisal sheet and it will be correct; any other mechanical faults will be noted also, the vehicles physical history will be disclosed too, in the grade. Grade 0 or A or R all indicate that the vehicle has had a structural internal panel repaired, who wants to buy that car? This is what makes the appraisal sheet so important, and why its missing from so many cars. In fairness this might be because the importer really buys imported cars at a docks auction but seeing as so many cars sold here are pony, that doesnt help a prospective purchaser.

The stickers mentioned are virtually always present; my point is that, as the auction sheet is frequently missing by the time the car gets to the importer the stickers will go some way to substantiating the odometer reading as the car wont have a 'service history' (and if it does ask why).

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 04:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav1
Im afraid this is twoddle!!!

Gav.
You havent trodden on my toes Gav; I dont pimp cars on ScoobyNet, but a remark like that is bound to **** me off isnt it?
Old 08 March 2005, 09:28 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Cheers for both your comments lads - its good to get both opinions.
I know its gonna be a risk but I spose its about what I can do to minimise that risk. Ill take someone who knows there onions, make sure I see a auction appraisal sheet and get a good feel for the car. I take it a decent warranty on these are like golddust?. I spose as I havent driven one the biggest problem is going to be keeping my cash in my pocket and not buying the first one I test drive due to the large grin on my chops.

Ill let you know how I get on and if I buy ill post pics. (thats of course if your interested. lol)

Thanks again,

Feffers
Old 09 March 2005, 09:17 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

What GC8 says is what I leanrt before delving into importing my own.
I didnt buy from a uk dock auction, coz I heard about rife clocking...but who knows it may be a myth.
I sourced from a jap auction company, the car was graded 3.5 coz it had a couple of small scratches on paintwork & it was a '96 reg car. It takes longer, but personally I think your better off...even having the hassleof sorting everything yourself.
Also, whichever one I was buying it from...I would do a service with belts, plugs etc to be sure...and also establish a baseline for your own servicing.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:39 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I've owned 3 imports, on every one the little stickers are on the back of the fuel filler flap - 10p sized, most with smiley faces for some reason!

I assume this is a good thing
Old 09 March 2005, 09:52 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Grade 3.5 cars can be as good as Grade 4 cars depending on the auction house and also the mileage. You were right to avoid docks auctions; the rumours started because they were removing the original appraisal sheets (showing grade, mileage & condition/faults) and all of the service indicators and generally tarting up poor cars, which all end up with rarely found very low mileages...

Simon