Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make your Scooby Much Faster for Free!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2005, 05:02 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make your Scooby Much Faster for Free!!

It seems to me that the 'Snetters' on this forum are obsessed with how fast their car is and spend lots of money on modifications to gain the 1/10th of a second making their cars faster.

Now lets think how long a tenth of a second is, or even a half second, that you can easily spend £2000 to get you car to go THAT much quicker.

So heres my advice how to make your car MUCH faster for Free...... Learn to Drive.....

Example of point " Gutmann Pug vs WR1" from the footage the WR1 driver had no Idea how to drive quickly, missing apexes, braking early, wrong lines, poor exit speed, and so was justifiably embarressed by a much older, cheaper car with less than half the horsepower. Nothing to do with Four wheel drive, DCCD diffs, Toyo Proxy tyres, re-circulating High Flow- Flame throwing Baked bean cans, It was just a simple example of one driver being better than the other.

And that was on a track, put that in the real world when, good clean lines, early braking, good observation and smoothness can mean a good driver could get from A to B much quicker than a 'Point and Squirt' merchant with 3 times the horsepower and twice the amount of grip.

So my point- Stop whining on that My car has 3000Bhp while yours only has 2999Bhp, the Sti is 0.3 secs slower to 60 than a WRX or your Tyres where a bit tired. Go out and learn how to handle a car. Auto Tests and Gymkanas are an excellent oppertunity to learn finesse, car control abd throttle control in slow, safe conditions....

Rant over..
Old 05 March 2005, 05:46 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it was the first time on the track for the WR1 driver??

Loads of factors to why he might have been slower. From what I have read, Gutman Pug does loads of track days, so he is probably has a lot more expierence. Even though the 205 was quicker, I bet they both still had loads of fun.

Last edited by Davey P; 05 March 2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05 March 2005, 05:46 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

ur cars got 3000bhp thats awesome m8
Old 05 March 2005, 05:50 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

If you had read the thread... his brakes weren't up to it (30k car resting on bad brakes... u take it easy) and it was only his 3rd trackday..

Quite what that has to do with everyday performance i dont know..
Old 05 March 2005, 05:53 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx bill

Mines got 3000.01bhp
Old 05 March 2005, 05:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Mines got 3000.01bhp
Old 05 March 2005, 05:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Old 05 March 2005, 06:01 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

You are all answering my point, in the real world does an extra 20Bhp make a real difference to you... Surely, familularity with your car, roads driving style makes a much bigger difference than an extra few horses.

I was only using the Pug vs Wr1 as an example I didn't mean to cast doubt on anyones driving ability.

It jsut seems to me that every other thread on this forum is about squeezing as much BHP out of your motor, or worse 'My cars faster than your Car' When there are much more impartant factors to fast car driving, e.g Style and Fun..
Old 05 March 2005, 06:02 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

well mines got 3000.02bhp lol
Old 05 March 2005, 06:05 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
well mines got 3000.02bhp lol
Thats nothing I've 3000.04bhp and it goes whoosh, thats my waste disposal gate, that is, worth another 0.00054Hp over standard
Old 05 March 2005, 06:06 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

With so many members on this site theres only a small margin that want to extract that extra 1bhp from their cars and lose 1/10th here and there. Most on here have bought a standard Impreza and are more than happy with the car they have. At the same time though its natural to want to go faster isnt it!

To answer your question though 20bhp isnt going to make any diffrenance if the higher powered car driver cant drive very well! And to be honest even if both drivers are on a par with each other your going to need a lot more than 20bhp to make a real differance on the road.
Old 05 March 2005, 06:07 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

If I took it on a track, I'm sure driving experience and expertise as well as familiarity with the car would be very important. But I don't!

I've always liked the rush from pure acceleration best, so I believe 1/4 miles are the way forward for me. I admit some further experience with this will undoubtedly give better results, but only to a point, then its down to pure grunt IMHO.
Old 05 March 2005, 06:19 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MichaelH
If I took it on a track, I'm sure driving experience and expertise as well as familiarity with the car would be very important. But I don't!

I've always liked the rush from pure acceleration best, so I believe 1/4 miles are the way forward for me. I admit some further experience with this will undoubtedly give better results, but only to a point, then its down to pure grunt IMHO.
Somebody once said to me "You can teach a monkey to drive in a straight line". He may have been a rally driver and not a drag driver though..
Old 05 March 2005, 06:25 PM
Pars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx bill
lol
Old 05 March 2005, 06:27 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is it dave or gary?
Old 05 March 2005, 06:31 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
so is it dave or gary?
What???? onder2:
Old 05 March 2005, 06:32 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

How to make your Scooby Much Faster for Free
When I saw that caption, I thought someone had a good idea on how to make there car faster for free.

Theres only 3 things that come to mind on how to make your car faster for free.

1. Strip all the interior out including doorcards, carpets and basically everything apart from seats, supriseing how fast your car feels when nothing inside, but crap when you've got more than 1 mate and your car is not pratical anymore.

2. Learn how to drive your car as Zip Boing Arial Whoop said.

3.Lose weight those extra couple of pounds you pile on for christmas, is seriously denting your cars performance.

Anyone else want to add to the list feel free.
Old 05 March 2005, 06:35 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
When I saw that caption, I thought someone had a good idea on how to make there car faster for free.

Theres only 3 things that come to mind on how to make your car faster for free.

1. Strip all the interior out including doorcards, carpets and basically everything apart from seats, supriseing how fast your car feels when nothing inside, but crap when you've got more than 1 mate and your car is not pratical anymore.

2. Learn how to drive your car as Zip Boing Arial Whoop said.

3.Lose weight those extra couple of pounds you pile on for christmas, is seriously denting your cars performance.

Anyone else want to add to the list feel free.
My father in Law has just removed most of his knee cap with a power plane, does this count as weight loss????

Anyway .. NOTHING comes for free, especially horsepower....
Old 05 March 2005, 06:37 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

go faster spend more dosh i need 3001 bhp
Old 05 March 2005, 07:42 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

so is it dave or gary?
LOL

Could be John, Bill or Diddly Zip but he's definately Swiss because their used to winding things up

Originally Posted by Davey P
I bet they both still had loads of fun.

Tony
Old 05 March 2005, 07:57 PM
heple1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zip Boing Arial Whoop
So heres my advice how to make your car MUCH faster for Free...... Learn to Drive.....

Rant over..
Can only agree.

I have beat two EVO 6's in my MY99 UK Turbo which just has a De-cat and i dont for one moment believe mine is anywhere near as fast.

One guy i raced dint change gear till he bounced of the limiter - hhmmmmm
Old 05 March 2005, 08:25 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

This a very, very serious thread, I remember once driving through Epynt to watch the Network Q, I was in a My99 Turbo and I was following a Cinqucento Arbarth Thing.

He left me for dead, In pooring rain, totaly commited (he should have been), must have known the road like the back of his hand.

Now, I don't condone racing on public roads in anyway, hence, for most drivers who never take their pride and joy on a track does the last few tenths really matter.

PS No i'm not swiss, peter, harry or Prince 'Carbon Wiper Blades' Charles, just a chap who has been reading the forum for a while and formed some opinions which are correct.
Old 05 March 2005, 08:31 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

When i race someone off the lights i never go until the other driver has raced off. Thats nothing to do with my driving skills but personal choice. I don't know if they are really going to race you or just winding you up until they actually launch from the lights.
Old 05 March 2005, 08:53 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Smile

Interesting idea, Zip. Perhaps you can now point us in the direction of a track with expert tuition that costs **** all, so we can learn how to make our scoobs go faster, for free.
Old 05 March 2005, 08:58 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

I have no idea how fast i can drive! I am going on a track day in May and if i overtake someone i will be well chuffed. I am ok but am having lessons from a police advanced motorist to give me some tips. Am not convinced thats his lessons are gospel tho. Perhaps am too careful????
Old 05 March 2005, 09:18 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Interesting idea, Zip. Perhaps you can now point us in the direction of a track with expert tuition that costs **** all, so we can learn how to make our scoobs go faster, for free.
Theres some really nice people on here who can drive well, I am sure if you go on a track day or too they will help.

Other than that, try joining a local motorclub and take part in the odd Grass autotest, Production Car Trial or Gymkana, you will get loads of tips on throttle/ brake / car control, sliding techniques etc all for the price of a couple of Big Mac Super Size Meals..

The trouble is most people think that as these are done at low speeds the benefits when driving quickly are not relevant, this is not true..
Old 05 March 2005, 10:01 PM
B16 POK
Scooby Newbie

Talking

like the Pensnett Reference, very funny
Old 05 March 2005, 10:02 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zip Boing Arial Whoop
It seems to me that the 'Snetters' on this forum are obsessed with how fast their car is and spend lots of money on modifications to gain the 1/10th of a second making their cars faster.

Now lets think how long a tenth of a second is, or even a half second, that you can easily spend £2000 to get you car to go THAT much quicker.

Example of point " Gutmann Pug vs WR1" from the footage the WR1 driver had no Idea how to drive quickly, missing apexes, braking early, wrong lines, poor exit speed, and so was justifiably embarressed by a much older, cheaper car with less than half the horsepower. Nothing to do with Four wheel drive, DCCD diffs, Toyo Proxy tyres, re-circulating High Flow- Flame throwing Baked bean cans, It was just a simple example of one driver being better than the other.

And that was on a track, put that in the real world when, good clean lines, early braking, good observation and smoothness can mean a good driver could get from A to B much quicker than a 'Point and Squirt' merchant with 3 times the horsepower and twice the amount of grip.

So my point- Stop whining on that My car has 3000Bhp while yours only has 2999Bhp, the Sti is 0.3 secs slower to 60 than a WRX or your Tyres where a bit tired. Go out and learn how to handle a car. Auto Tests and Gymkanas are an excellent oppertunity to learn finesse, car control abd throttle control in slow, safe conditions....

Rant over..

I'm liking this bloke alot ...........

Gary
Old 05 March 2005, 10:39 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

so is it dave or gary?
I am as confused as you!

Dave
Old 05 March 2005, 10:42 PM
mickjg
Scooby Regular

i have done a track day at donnington and what a day it was. it helped me a lot in always driving,braking,handerling i do have gas ajustable shoxs dropling both role bars. now i have a lot better brakes as from yesterday.
i did go out one of the marshalls who work there so he did help me with braking points and seting the car up before you trun the corner.
i would say that if anyone does do a track day they will come out a better driver.
mick

Quick Reply: How to make your Scooby Much Faster for Free!!