Bugeye STi Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2005, 04:36 PM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye STi Wagon?

Hi there,

Could anyone tell me anything about these cars, I know they are rare, but are they the saloon in every way other than the 280bhp? Has anyone got one of these? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old 05 March 2005, 04:39 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling that the track was a bit narrower and the suspension setup wasn't quite as advanced - steel parts used where the saloon has aluminium, for example. Otherwise I don't think there was much difference.

It was only ever available in Japan and was discontinued (amongst a wave of indifference) when the '03 facelift came out. I've only ever seen one or two for sale, and never come across one for real.
Old 05 March 2005, 09:20 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Not quite the same but I drive a Classic shape STi, a friend of mine drives an equivelent saloon version and there is no difference in performance, they both seem to handle the same, and when you are driving it you don't notice it is a wagon.
Plus I need the wagon for all my diving gear!
Old 06 March 2005, 09:58 AM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Yeah funny you should mention that. I am a commercial Diver and am looking for a fast subtle car that can also carry all my kit from job to job! I have been looking at classic Sti wagons but would like impressions on the Bug eye version as it could be a possibility....if I can find one!

Thanks Again

Mark
Old 06 March 2005, 10:34 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Depending on your budget, you could do worse than a newer WRX wagon with PPP (265 bhp on the later models) or even a Forester or Legacy. The Forester STI looks gorgeous IMHO
Old 06 March 2005, 11:04 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

one for sale here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=wagon
Old 07 March 2005, 12:45 PM
Mr Smiley
Scooby Newbie

Do you think its likley to have a Front Limited Slip Diff and intercooler spray? I have though about a PPP WRX wagon, but still am interested in this rare car. Would I be correct in thinking that the STi would make a better base engine to upgrade?

It really seems strange that Subaru have stopped building STi wagons given the current European trend of powerfull estate cars. I can only hope that they start to produce them again in the future.

Thanks for all help so far

Mark
Old 07 March 2005, 01:33 PM
Dales2
Scooby Regular

Just had my 03 wagon (due to large dog) PPP'd. Very impressed with the results. It doesn't want for power out in the real world and I think the softer ride actually helps rather than hinders on UK country roads.

Just needs the geometry resetting to improve balance (too much understeer) and possibly stronger brakes.
Old 07 March 2005, 10:04 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Mark - yes, the STi is a lot better starting point for certain upgrades. Biggest difference is that the WRX gearbox will only handle about 330lbft ish of torque (although it varies depending on how you drive it), whereas the STi 6 speed is MUCH stronger and will take pretty much whatever you throw at it within reason. The engine has a few advantages if you're upgrading (no tumbler valves, better intercooler) as well as a bigger turbo. I think the heads have restricted people around the 400bhp area, but then again, I don't know of any WRX's which have run reliably at over 400bhp at all.
Old 08 March 2005, 12:29 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Absolute pleasure to own,

love every bit of my black sti wagon, only other i could dream of owning is Harveys with his monsterous engine but nevertheless, black is even better
Old 08 March 2005, 02:59 PM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Cool STi Wagon

As an owner of an STi v5 wagon I can honestly say they are brilliant. Stealthy, lovely, fast, very rare and very practical. Shame I have to sell, but, thats life.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:21 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

http://www.trinityweb.co.uk/vehicles...?id_vehicle=46

one here at hendry's