Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some newbie Scooby advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 05:28 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Some newbie Scooby advice needed...

Hi everyone,
I have always been a massive fan of scoobys and was wondering if you could give me some advice as to what kind of car i could expect to pick up for 5k or less. I know thats a pretty measly budget - Will they generaly be pretty shabby at that price range?. If thats the case how much do you think I would have to cough up for a sound 4 door turbo. (Im geting rogered already on my insurance so thats not an issue!) Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Old 03 March 2005, 05:40 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely a hammered K reg WRX for sub £5K

If you're lucky and shop around, £6500 - £7000 could land you a bargin if someone is desperate to sell...

Last edited by Jay_bee; 03 March 2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03 March 2005, 05:43 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
Great, a hammered K reg. Just what I was after.
Old 03 March 2005, 05:50 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Would you rather I said..

"ooo yes... you'll get an absolute minter, low mileage, one lady owner, FSSH, totally unmolested example"???

And I did emphasise the "more than likey" IE: not necessarily
Old 03 March 2005, 05:59 PM
Fee Muir
Scooby Regular

Look at importing yourself......you could pick up something quite cheap

but best to know what to look out for
Old 03 March 2005, 06:57 PM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

Default you want mine !!

give me 6 grand & you can have mine 1994 wrx imported by me ( was sick of looking at local dealer bodged clocked rubbish ) read on 98 % original paint very low milage with jap service history & auction grade 4 got auction report, prefect unworn interior neversmoked in, rare with abs, hks suction kit, hks boost controller, hks clutch ,hks turbo timer , apexi electronic boost guage, momo wheel , nardi ****,tein coilovers & pillowball top mounts, blits supersound dumpvalve, titanium exhaust, 18inch anthracite speedlines, prodrive wr rear wing,cobra cat 1 alarm, could eat ya dinner off the underside , never seeb bad wheather in the uk, garaged every nite,cd/md hifi, had full service using gen subaru parts less than 1k ago , forgot to say very very fast , interested if u are a serious buyer with cash in ya pocket text or call me on 07749238278
Old 03 March 2005, 07:06 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Buy a 'Wagon ffs!

Btw; whilst I dont want to appear to be argumentitive; dont try to import one yourself as you will almost certainly get taken for a ride unless you have access to vehicles at auction in which case you might fare better.

Simon
Old 03 March 2005, 09:53 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jay_bee

If you're lucky and shop around, £6500 - £7000 could land you a bargin if someone is desperate to sell...
Disagree matey.

I bought this for £5k last year:

Yes, it had done 97k when I bought it, but its a corker. It had just been serviced (biggie with cambelt, and recent rubber all round).

94 M-Reg, looks a lot newer with 'normal' mods that had already been done to it when I purchased it. i.e. full ninja/afterburner exhaust, colour coding, clear indicators, crystal fogs, V5 spoiler, tracker, turbo-timer, JUN replica splitter etc. etc. etc.

Had it inspected before I bought it, didn't find anything wrong with it apart from pointing out the cats had been removed - really Mr. AA....

Now this was a year ago, so I'm guessing this is worth about 4k now. I have seen a lot of cars for sale on here very similar to mine with less miles recently for 5k.

In fact I'm sure there are P-regs going for 5k now, especially as I have seen 99-00s going for 7-8k.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:06 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

You disagree that more than likely, for under £5000 you wont get a hammered K reg wrx?

Nice motor BTW
Old 04 March 2005, 12:39 AM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Quality Stix, thats what I was after, a bit of positive advice! Did you get that private? Looks the nuts. Dont laugh now, but im driving an Mitsi FTO GPX tip at the moment (at the time was the only thing sub 5k that looked good and drived ok). Its a pristine 94 on 50k so am hoping to get about 4+ towards the scoob fund. I would bite your hand off osaprezza if I had the dough to hand but until the fto's gone im well short. Sounds a good job though for 6k.

Cheers for all your advice.
Old 04 March 2005, 11:15 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Feffers
Quality Stix, thats what I was after, a bit of positive advice! Did you get that private? Looks the nuts. Dont laugh now, but im driving an Mitsi FTO GPX tip at the moment (at the time was the only thing sub 5k that looked good and drived ok). Its a pristine 94 on 50k so am hoping to get about 4+ towards the scoob fund. I would bite your hand off osaprezza if I had the dough to hand but until the fto's gone im well short. Sounds a good job though for 6k.

Cheers for all your advice.
Yes I bought this privately off somebody on here. I am always browsing this forum, especially for sale general & cars. A lot of good looking cars have been on sale/sold throught this forum for the kind of money you are talking about.

Most people selling on here have obviously looked after their motors, its a good place to buy from - or www.sidc.co.uk of course also.

Jay_bee: We having a syntax discussion here....

If you take your time and don't jump at the first sub 5k scooby you see, I would say it was more than likely you will not end up with a hammered k-reg
Old 04 March 2005, 11:26 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

O go on then...

J
Old 04 March 2005, 11:55 AM
New_scooby_04

Have you budgeted about 3k for insurance, servicing, fuel, octane booster etc...

Regards?
Old 04 March 2005, 12:26 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my 94 wrx import from a dealer for £4440. one small mark on the front passenger door. other than that it's mint. has done around 73k miles and i have some japanese service history with it.

my mate bought a k reg wrx import private sale for £2800 done around 60k miles. has spent about £300 on getting rid of some interior bits that had been painted blue!!! and he's now got a very nice example.

shop around and don't buy the first one you see.
Old 04 March 2005, 12:56 PM
jxxx
Scooby Newbie

I'll give you some advice - be patient and keep your eyes open. Good deals do come up from time to time. I just bought a silver UK 95 4 door turbo for 3750 with 94 on the clock. It was cheap because the trader didn't usually do that type of car and it had no history and a slight misfire at 1500 revs.
Got in touch with the previous owner who said it had a 700 service 2 years ago and also a clutch. Intend to write to DVLa to trace its other owners to see what other history exsists.
Also don't just rely on the old faithful autotrader.co.uk - got mine from an ad in the FridayAd free paper.
Also buy the Autotrader publication and look in the back pages for salvage. I saw a white 96 UK turbo for 3.5 grand with full service history and leather. Reason for being cheap: was vandalised and needed a touch up on the bonnet. Was very tempted... but prefir silver
Good luck

Originally Posted by Feffers
Hi everyone,
I have always been a massive fan of scoobys and was wondering if you could give me some advice as to what kind of car i could expect to pick up for 5k or less. I know thats a pretty measly budget - Will they generaly be pretty shabby at that price range?. If thats the case how much do you think I would have to cough up for a sound 4 door turbo. (Im geting rogered already on my insurance so thats not an issue!) Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Old 04 March 2005, 01:07 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i looked for a while and wanted something for under 5k
never found anything decent fot that
ended up spending near 6.5k
think you tend to get what you pay for tbh
Old 04 March 2005, 02:40 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice people. Some promising feedback (and no one took the p!ss out of my hairdressers car - im impressed!). Im gonna be realistic but going on the above if im patient I should be able to pick up one for that kind of cash.

New Scooby - Yeah, im paying 1400 quid insurance at the moment on the FTO import, enquired about the scooby and they wanted 900. Go figure. Im kind of banking on the servicing costs being similar to the Mitsi to be honest, same with fuel. Tell me if im wrong??

Cheers again for your info everyone.
Old 04 March 2005, 02:59 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Feffers:

What model did you get a quote on for £900?

As for fuel, expect about 17 - 23 mpg if you "enjoy" your driving, bear in mind its recommended that you use octane boost unless its been remapped.

Servicing costs can vary quite a lot depending on where you go tbh, and it should be serviced every 6K miles/6 months.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:08 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Im into some 'spirited' driving so would expect quite high mpg. I went to tesco.com and whacked in a 94 wrx turbo. To be fair was expecting alot higher.
Old 04 March 2005, 05:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a UK MY99 4 door on autotrader for less than £6.5K (70K miles or so)
Old 04 March 2005, 05:32 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Im with Tescos