Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Shock Proof : Another Scooby Myth Blown.

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2005, 07:58 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redline Shock Proof : Another Scooby Myth Blown.

Who started recommending this stuff for use in Subaru synchro gearboxes ?

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...1;t=002926;p=2

How many synchros have been ruined by duff advice ?

One of the problems with a Forum like this is that people recommend a product because they use it, not because they have carried out any objective analysis.
Don't believe everything you read.
Consider whether the person making the recommendation can be relied upon.

"Redline's comment : Based on the fluid called for by Subaru in the transaxle we would recommend the 75W90NS, suitable for the synchros and the differential. The ShockProof is a very unique product and performs extremely well in numerous applications, but we don't recommend it in street vehicle synchro applications".
Old 20 February 2005, 08:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Half the information written on message boards is 2nd 3rd 4th....... hand information, and not always from reliable sources.
John down the pub must be the fruit of all knowledge based on some information written.
Old 20 February 2005, 08:13 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

very strange as after some lengthy discussions, "redline's" UK distributor has informed me to not use anything other than heavy shockproof....................

alyn

p.s. the conversation was mainly about modded cars using std style drivetrain, maybe this had some bearing..............
Old 20 February 2005, 08:46 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

i had the same conversation with Redline UK Alyn, when i contacted Redline USA i was very surprised by what they were saying. Personally Redline HSP worked brilliantly for me, but i noted Bob Rawles comments that he didnt get on with it, which was part of the reasoning why i was asking questions of Redline directly.

My gut feeling is redline USA are being cautious on what they recomend with regards to syncro compatibility, it may be that it isnt suitable for everyones driving style and as a result dont recomend it.

I had zero problems with HSP, in fact it made things better in all respects, but that doesnt always mean its right for other people.

Next scoob i buy i'll give the NSP a go and see how that performs, that might be even better, if so then a top result, but if i get the elevated temperatures on track i saw with other traditional oils i'll go back to HSP in a heart beat, even if Redline USA say i shouldnt.
Old 21 February 2005, 02:30 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search, I think you will find that several of us have experienced synchro problems with Redline HDSP.
If the manufacturer says that a particular product is not suitable for street synchro -because it is too slippy - and recommends an alternative, I would think they have good reason for this and know their business.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:06 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the difference being that the US arm will have little or no information about extended use in a predominantly european application.......................

seems that the UK arm and the US peeps don't communicate at worst, have only ever heard of Bob Rawle having specific issues (but Bob has issues with most full synthetics from his posting??), but the amount of people like John above who have apparently no problems over extended periods is interesting
(we have certainly had nothing but good feedback for this particular product)

alyn

Last edited by stockcar; 21 February 2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 21 February 2005, 08:27 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Said it before and i will say it again
My g/box did not like redline at all, soon changed back to Syntrax, no poblems since.
Just one of those things, some gearbox's may like it some may not !!

Tim
MY99