Old 17 February 2005, 10:24 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mike wood pls. anwser

hello mike

i already ask this question to you in my thread problem wtih ppp
i am just one step away from installing ppp for my sti my03 and the only issue
i have is fuel quality problem in my country(i am not from england)
i new that sti has to use 98ron for max. performance but i had to buy it
i drive my car on 95ron(i hope) with octane booster for almost 2 years now i had
no problem what so ever with my car only noise from the rear but this is not a issue now
this is a responce i got from a tuner for sti we he states that by reprograming the ecu will not harm my engine regardless of fuel
we can reprogram you ecu, so that your engine delivers 305hp with cat and 335hp without cat. This powerincrease is no risk for the engine at all. We tune between 90-110 cars per year and have a lot of experiance with subaru. You can drive with 95 octan fuel but you will get better throttle respones and more power with 98 octan. If you come to schopfheim, we will do 2 dynoruns with your car (before and after tuning). The compelte work will be carried out in about 2.5 hours. You can also send only your ecu, if you like. Let us know if your car is a complete standard car or if you have a modified exhaust system, for example.

No need for you to spend more money for a prodrive kit, because prodrive uses ecutek as we do for reprogramming the ecu.

My question to you is if i install ppp and runing it on 95ron with octane booster most of the time will it make my car go faster then it goes now and how high is the risk that it will somehow harm my engine.I just what my car to go faster that it is going now on 95ron.
pls. your comment on this
thank you
pit
Old 17 February 2005, 10:43 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

To be fair to Mike and prodrive, you would be using the car outside of the products design, I doubt very much they would / could confirm everything would be ok. As they would not 100% know and are unlikely to peform testing / a product revision to cover you. 95 ron fuel is usebale in a emergency but care should be taken.

In an ideal world if you have a ecutek mapper locally that would tune your car to the fuel you are using then you have performance with some piece of mind but obviosly any subaru warranty would be void.

There are a few people who claim to use their ppp sti's on 95 ron in the UK and havent been screaming their engines detted themselves to pieces, but im guessing they probably wouldnt own up to that afterwards anyway as it may affect a warranty claim.

happy scoobing

Peter
Old 17 February 2005, 10:43 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you would be safer getting your car mapped for 95 RON, then you won't be crossing your fingers everytime you run out of octane booster.
Old 17 February 2005, 10:59 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

i do not have a local ecutek mapper and as i said impreza sti is made to run only on 98ron and for almost 2 years a use 95ron+octane booster
is it the same danger for normal sti engine to use 95ron as for ppp on 95ron
everyones comments are welcome but i whould like mike wood form prodrive to advise me
ppp is not a must for my if it is more dangerous to run my car with ppp that it is without ppp on 95ron then i will not do it
Old 17 February 2005, 12:19 PM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

did anyone drive my03 sti ppp on 95ron and what are your experiences
Old 17 February 2005, 12:22 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

What country are you in?????
Old 17 February 2005, 01:38 PM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

i am from Belgarde Serbia and Montenegro
i have 100km form Belgarde in Croatia 98ron and 200km in Hugnary 100ron but i can not go there all the time
I drive my car for 2 years now with no problem i hope it stays that way if not i will have to buy a BMW like before a had a 330i convertable
Old 22 February 2005, 08:30 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

Mr. Wood
what do you think if i insatll a ppp and insted of your met. kat to insert for example supersprint pipe to replace it so i can run my car on 98ron leaded fuel until 98ron unleded is available then i can put it back on again.
Old 22 February 2005, 08:58 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by malibuda
is it the same danger for normal sti engine to use 95ron as for ppp on 95ron
everyones comments are welcome but i whould like mike wood form prodrive to advise me
ppp is not a must for my if it is more dangerous to run my car with ppp that it is without ppp on 95ron then i will not do it
Do you have a Knocklink fitted to your car? If not, you won't know what -if any- damage is occurring to your car as a result of fuel issues.

I would imagine that the PPP tuned car would be less tolerant of lower quality fuel as the map will be optimised for SUL. The ECU would adapt to a certain degree, but it would retard ignition timing etc to prevent damage to the engine, which would also restrict performance. Given that the whole point of PPP is to increase performance, having a conversion done to the car, then running it on fuel that would negate the advantage afforded by the conversion would be an expensive shot in the foot. I very much doubt anyone at Prodrive has tried running the car on 95 and octane booster, as it just wouldn't be necessary in the UK.

Regards
Old 22 February 2005, 09:22 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

yes that is clear but i asked a new Q now anyway thanks for you advise
Old 22 February 2005, 09:57 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by malibuda
yes that is clear but i asked a new Q now anyway thanks for you advise
Welcome to Scoobynet

Mike does frequent this BB and is normally very helpfull. But you asking a very "specific" questions about about Problems in a Non UK country. he may have to be carefull as an answer maybe get interperated that it it be OK in the UK.

Therefore you are more likely to get a Personal answer if you mightTry Emailing him.

enquiries@prodrive.com

Tony