Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ROADS A SEVEN TIMES SAFER THAN 3years ago !!

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 02:48 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry THE ROADS A SEVEN TIMES SAFER THAN 3years ago !!

Well they should be because the goverment would have us believe that Speed traps are to increase Road Safety and not Income

This is a new report from AOL

<quote>
Speed Camera Fines Rise Sevenfold

An increase in the number of mobile speed cameras being used on Britain's roads has helped generate a sevenfold rise in fixed penalty notices.

The number of mobile speed cameras has soared by more than a third in a year, new figures show.

The mobile units, which have less stringent rules on where they can be placed, are increasingly favoured over fixed gatso cameras, the data shows.

And cameras have resulted in a massive rise in the number of fines dished out to speeding drivers.

In the period 2003-2004, 1.8 million fixed penalty fines were issued in England and Wales, seven times more than in the period 2000-2001.

The firm Cyclops, which released the data, produces Global Positioning System (GPS) speed trap detectors warning drivers of cameras ahead and speed limits at accident blackspots.
</quote>

Tony

Ps I suppose nothing new but at least proves it's a money making Scam
Old 06 February 2005, 04:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roads deaths were up again last year. Funny how Government fails to see this isnt it.

Chip
Old 06 February 2005, 04:53 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

I got a letter through from Staffordshire police the other day, too. Good bye to my clean license... 51 in 40mph, but 50 yards down, the road changes into a 70 mph dual carriageway.

It must be so unsafe around there that mr chief constable feels that they need an unmarked police van with a mobile camera. I mean, with no car in front of me, next to me, or behind me, with no crossroads anywhere between me and the point of speed limit change. Gosh, just imagine, an ant could be crossing the road!

I hate traffic police. They serve less purpose than a traffic warden. I mean, they don't even get involved in a high speed chase with a bank robber in a Scooby, because they can't be arsed. Instead, they just play snooker (red, colour, red. colour...). **** them all!

Rant over (feel so much better!)
Old 06 February 2005, 06:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Keigo
I got a letter through from Staffordshire police the other day, too. Good bye to my clean license... 51 in 40mph, but 50 yards down, the road changes into a 70 mph dual carriageway.

That's the Problem with the "Mobile Van's" they don't have to justify to anyone their "Use" or "Position" unlike "Fixed Camera's.

Moblie ATM's

Tony
Old 06 February 2005, 07:17 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

All this moaning about speed cameras - I dont know... God forbid that people breaking the law are caught and fined for errr breaking the law!!! Road deaths have probably gone up on roads where there arent cameras...Does anyone have facts to correc this?
There's one due up on the east lancs by the Blindfoot road junction (near knowsley) where there are a few deaths a year - I cant wait for it - the speed limit brought down to a more sensible 60... Im sure casualties at that junction will fall in 2005 until some spastic decides to torch the camera...
Old 06 February 2005, 08:12 PM
ed_the_duck
Scooby Regular

Kiego, I expect the speed trap was purposly there knowing its a guarantee that people are going to put thier foot down a little earlier. They very clever at identifiying these spots (if anything reckon they are made like that for this very purpose)
Bus lane cameras are positioned at places they know you get trapped. For example, near where I live there WAS a bus lane on a major a road going west with a no go time of 4-7pm. It has a bus lane camera (gatso style one). it runs in a stretch of road where there is no shops or tunings into other roads etc and suddenly it's a 24hr bus lane:looney:
Old 06 February 2005, 10:06 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

I wonder if that is why the Kremlin, er, Tony B.Liar's "government" are trying to ban speed-trap detectors, but not GPS-based systems?

...so they can leave every Gatso empty (which will still cause drivers to brake as they approach) and then nick people around the next bend or three

Still, when everyone gets banned, road-deaths will drop to zero (NOT!).

mb
Old 06 February 2005, 10:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The report proves NOTHING - its from a vested interested party

I don't know why everyone keeps crying about breaking the law and getting caught

Imagine the outcry if a burglar said, "Its NOT fair, that CCTV camera caught me stealing - but this house hasn't been robbed before, its SO unfair!! I am no criminal I only steal from houses that haven't been stolen from before!"

See how PATHETIC it is now????

Pete
Old 06 February 2005, 10:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...so they can leave every Gatso empty (which will still cause drivers to brake as they approach) and then nick people around the next bend or three
And if they are speeding, why not??

Pete
Old 06 February 2005, 10:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ahh, but the number of idiotic fools without any basic/common road sense is on a massive increase.

Thank **** they don't speed...as they could cause some serious carnage
Old 06 February 2005, 10:47 PM
fordy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Imagine the outcry if a burglar said, "Its NOT fair, that CCTV camera caught me stealing - but this house hasn't been robbed before, its SO unfair!! I am no criminal I only steal from houses that haven't been stolen from before!"

Pete
If a criminal gets caught on camera, all he has to say is he didnt know it was there and he gets off because its a breach of his civil rights!
Old 06 February 2005, 10:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

My point has always been:-

You know what the speed limit is

Keep under that limit

If you do not and knowingly break the law then accept the fine without crying like a baby

Pete
Old 06 February 2005, 11:01 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Ahh, but the number of idiotic fools without any basic/common road sense is on a massive increase.

Thank **** they don't speed...as they could cause some serious carnage

I couldn't agree more (sorry to go off topic though ). I do about 25k miles a year, most of it on the motorways, and the amount of tunnel visioned no-brainer-middle-laners I encounter everyday is mind boggling to say the least!

They seem to have no idea of what's going on around them. Highly dangerous on the motorway methinks.
Old 07 February 2005, 03:43 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by pslewis
I don't know why everyone keeps crying about breaking the law and getting caught

Pete
Pete,

THAT's my whole piont which you blatantly missed perhaps I should have mentioned "Gold Wheels" and you'd have seen it

The Govement are saying "The Roads will be affectively seven times safer now because of Speed Camera's" simulary to the reduction of night time crimes in the "City's centre's are safer because of the introdution of CCTV's"

DREAM ON

More peeps are dying on the roads the than were 3 years ago and 7 times the amount of speeding Conviction's WTF

8 more peeps lost their lives on the roads in my area. In 3 years Loads of speed Cameras, more double whites lines, lower speed limits. All they have done queued the traffic up peeps and sat behind peeps doing 35mph in a 60mph then the only 3 overtaking bit of straights in 30 miles they put speed Camera's WTF. So now "****'s" overtake on bends and Double Whites in 30 miles only 2000yrds of Duel Carriageway in any direction and full of Tractors and Lorries.

I never "Drink & Drive" but most I ever had and drove is one Pint of Shandy. I'd like to think I'm a responsible person the Govement wan't to bring down the "Drink Drive limit" WHY ?????? to catch more of us "responsible drivers" who will be caught Drink driving the next morning going to work they will catch 10% more and show "They are making the Roads safer" but won't stop the Majority of Drink Drive Accidents were they are 8 times over the Limit IMHO

The Peeps drinking 10 pints and driving or 12yrs Old and P1ssed (W*nkers and should be shot) will STILL Drink 10pints weather it be 1mg or 50mg Achohol limit. Don't fine them give them life imprisonment

Ps not winging about Speeding Convictions jut they are alway aiming at the easy Targets and not aiming the Idiots
Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 07 February 2005 at 03:47 AM.