Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

400 BHP MY03 STi type UK, How much £ & Who???

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2005, 04:16 PM
STIste
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 400 BHP MY03 STi type UK, How much £ & Who???

As title, looking for a reliable (!) 400 bhp plus torque to match but how much is this likely to cost & who can perform such a transformation? (TSL? RCM? Bob Rawle?) Warranty is already stuffed so that's not an issue. Insurance is OK as long as it stays 2 litre, so 2.5 conversion not viable. Want to stay tmic as don't want to change the look of the front end. Can you fit twin scroll turbo on a UK car???
Questions, questions!!!
Old 30 January 2005, 05:22 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Uprated fuel pump, uprated fuel reg, bigger injectors, TD05/06 turbo, equal length headers, full 3" decat exhaust, Apexi PowerFC with either boost management or AVC-R and some kind of work on the intake side but I wouldn't like to recommend anything as a) I know nowt and b) not sure what works with the later MAF's and finally some kind of uprated intercooler, I'm not sure but 400bhp and TMIC may not be compatible unless someone knows different. That little lot will see you into the high 300's at least Cost would be about £6000+ probably.

These mods don't take into account the strength of your engine so it may make 400bhp and go pop or it may not, so you may need forged pistons, uprated gaskets, head bolts, rod bolts etc. You may even need head work or intake manifold work.

People on here whose advice I'd trust include but are not limited to and in no particular order:

Bob Rawle, Andy F, Pavlo, harvey, Dave Wallis, P20SPD (is that right?), john banks plus a fair few others.

Best advice is: listen to all advice then make your own mind up and remember: I know nowt

Also depends on whether you want to do it yourself and risk blowing your motor or do you want to hand your car over with a blank cheque and have a fully working car with some kind of warranty. IIRC, RCM charge around £15,000 for that kind of power but it's a very strong set-up.

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 30 January 2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 30 January 2005, 06:38 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Copied this From the Scooby Mania web site and IIRC £9500 ish

################################################## ######
T3 power upgrade STi 7

On our demonstrator car we have achieved 452BHP & 372lb/ft. (Using Shell Optimax and millers octane booster).
This runs on OEM engine internals. Peak power was at just over 1.5 Bar boost

This is to the best of our knowledge the highest horsepower 2.0Litre Impreza in Europe running on factory (un-touched) engine internals and (virtually) standard fuel.
Kit has uprated injectors, Garret Turbocharger, custom exhaust system (with external wastegate) FMIC, GEMS ECU, tuned length headers, custom up & downpipes leaving the Turbo 'clocked' to suit garret Turbo housings (4 bolt) motorsport fuel pump and regulator, custom induction kit and a range of additional modifications.

################################################## ##

Tony

Sorry now read you wanted to keep TMIC oooops

Last edited by T5NYW; 30 January 2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 30 January 2005, 07:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a white UK STi at well lane 9 that had some work done to it, running a TD05/06 turbo, pushing out around 370bhp and 340ish lbs of torque.
Though for the twin scroll turbo, it wont be worth doing, and to be honest, you would have been better buying a JDM car and remapping it (pretty much better all round car, especially if you want to remap it as the engine is stronger than the uk/euro cars), plus im not sure if there is a twin scroll turbo quite that big (possably) for you to run 400bhp, though there is a new turbo on the S203 which is meant to be bigger than those on the MY05 JDM Sti's so.....
Your options are a rebuild to take 400/400, a different turbo and not be worried about 20-30bhp and 50 ish lbs of torque or remap what you have at the moment.
Remember that drivability is better than big bhp, especially if you use the car on a daily basis (bigger turbo, more potential for lag).

Tony
Old 30 January 2005, 09:23 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

What's different in the JDM engines to make them stronger than the UK/Euro versions?

Paul
Old 30 January 2005, 10:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from the supporting fuelling, breathing and ECU mods, the main question here is turbo sizing for a 2.0, deciding on your power band. Might be worth trying a 400 BHP 2.0 and deciding if you could live with it. I couldn't and would rather run a smaller turbo with a wide flat power band. Some people love it. Your progress will be dicated by your average power put down. It is common that a higher powered car can be slower than a lower powered one with a nicer power band in the real world.
Old 30 January 2005, 11:30 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i am considering mapping my04 jdm with a full system to go on at the same time. i know bob has got 360+bhp from one, but is it safe? so i would like to how you know the jdm internals are stronger as i don't fancy having to put a engine into anther scoob
Old 31 January 2005, 12:59 AM
STIste
Scooby Regular

The thread was started due to my rather childish frustration at being slightly outdragged yesterday by a 54 plate 911 Turbo from 30/40 to ahem, a bit more!!! There wasn't an awful lot in it (he pulled away maybe a car length or two) but it was enough to get me thinking about the next stage of tune! Given that I'm currently at 333 which IS enough to take care of M3's in similar circumstances(Not CSL's though!) then will circa 360/370 keep the driveability which is terrific at present or will a bigger turbo just mean loads of lag?

Tony, do you know where the White car at Well Lane had had it's work done?

Ste
Old 31 January 2005, 08:32 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

it was p cole m8

here is a link to his pm
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/private.php?do=newpm&u=40215

but as far as i know it has a Andy f turbo and Bob Rawle did the work, but send him a pm and he will reply (not sure if he comes on here everyday though)