Legacy Spec B Views

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 06:21 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Legacy Spec B Views

A Little Legacy Spec B Review

Looking for a new car soon, so when my 03 WRX PPP was in for new brake disks (Disk cracked up - warranty) and Tyres i managed to get the Spec B Demo as the courtacy car.

Looks/Equipment,

Outside - The car was Silver and looked diabolical, nothing about it looked good. I later looked at the Dark Greenie one in the showroom and it looked like a completely different car! - Very nice (but anonymous)

Inside - Controls are much better the the Impreza, i hate the expanse of dash (the top) with no features, but not as bad as octavia's etc.

Audio - The Stereo fitted is much better than mine with more power, but still leave a lot to be desired in quality.

Satnav/Control thingy - Good clear display, annoying icons (using words is much clearer in my mind - but not fashionable)

Other, heated seat are nice and quick.

Build quality, had as many rattles as my WRX has - so no improvement (car had 1600 miles and was used by a employee of the dealer i think)

Driving,

Suspension Ride, The general ride of the car (bumps n stuff) is slightly better than the WRX, but when you go over speed humps its much harsher.

Roll, From a WRX it is initially scary with the roll, but once you get used to it you realize it just has a bit of center slack in the roll. so once slightly rolled it tightens up quickly and remains fairly flat, obviously quick transitions are compromised due to this and the weight.

Suspension/Grip performance, for such a heavy car it is very good, a roundabout (in my back garden ) that i can comfortably go round at 70 mph in my wrx, i could do 60-65 in the B, if anything the B feels more neutral than my WRX.

Brakes, Good for an average car but a bit scary at speed.

Engine/Power Performance, yummy - love that flat 6 noise, it powers all the way to 7000 without dropping off (it feels like it would keep going to 8000) and i hit the limiter 2 times because its so smooth (limits at 7000.0001 rpm the mean buggers!), scared myself overtaking a car was ready in 3rd gear at 45 mph about 2.5 car lengths behind waiting for another car coming the other way to pass, unfortunately my turbo lag trained brain put my foot down just as the other car started to pass and i nearly ran straight up the back of the car infront , overall i would say that its easier to drive this 245 bhp car that my 265 bhp car even though mine is very easy (hope you get what i mean)

Overall,

I like it very much, would i consider replacing my WRx with it, maybe. Testing the 05 STI PPP next (when i can find one), then RX8, 350Z

Simon
Old 24 January 2005, 09:09 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

have now test driven the jap spec GT B and the UK spec B. Both are easy replacements for my 2003 STI.

I love the build quality, the quietness and the smoothness of the leggie.

The power of the twin scroll was impressive, and the smoothness of the H6 was equally as enjoyable.

Specification wise the UK spec B won hands down, with leather, Sat nav, cruise control, and for a cheaper price (all inclusive)
Old 25 January 2005, 11:39 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Hi ScoobyL

Thanks for the responce

What reasons are you changing from the 03 STI to the Legy, dont you want the performance or is the ride or security an issue?

are you going for saloon or estate?

Simon
Old 25 January 2005, 03:35 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I have enjoyed every moment of my Impreza experience, and now I want something bigger (estate) with leather, navigation etc etc...and the Leggie fills that space nicely.
I am planning a trip to St Tropez later this year and want a large tourer to do this in.

I drove from Chippenham to Birmingham and back again on my 24 hour test drive, and I got out feeling just as fresh as when I started... something I never do in the Impreza.

I am gunna go for the estate/sports tourer...
Old 25 January 2005, 03:38 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Good you you

What colour you going for?

Simon
Old 25 January 2005, 03:42 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Well...I am a fan of black...but they are a nightmare to keep clean...

The Spec B I drove from Cirencester was Atlantic Blue... I quite liked that..
Old 25 January 2005, 03:46 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Old 11 February 2005, 07:19 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Snap

Scooby L, thats the same car I had a test drive in today. We are having the Black Spec B saloon that they had in the showroom.

Can I ask, did you buy one, or are you still contemplating.
Old 11 February 2005, 09:57 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Have you seen this puppy? http://legacy.manxforums.com/forums/...?showtopic=124. I know I've done this post elsewhere, but this thing looks the dogs proverbials.

Craig
Old 11 February 2005, 10:01 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Yes, it does look superb. Only problem is after the Porsche I will never touch an import (euro or otherwise) as long as I live.

Sad I know, but once bitten.....