Sponsored by:

What fuel can I use in a '95 wrx import

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2005, 06:58 PM
nardoblue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What fuel can I use in a '95 wrx import

Picking up my newly bought '95 wrx ,totally std and was wondering what grade of fuel I could use in it as ther isn't a shell garage for mile's round here. she won't be thrashed so can I use super unleaded?
Old 23 January 2005, 07:38 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Shell optimax is of course the ideal stuff to use but even then as you have an import you will need to add some octane booster to get up to the 100RON the car is mapped for, if you have to use super you will definitely need to use octane booster as well.

Best bet is to get the ECU replaced with one that is set to use lower octane fuel, cheapest option would most likely be a Scoobyecu.

PS congrats on getting a Scooby, hope you have a healthy bank balance
Old 23 January 2005, 07:44 PM
nardoblue
Scooby Regular

Cool

thank's for the advice bgood had a sport and a gx .convinced the wife that if i sold my fireblade and the gx that i could get a wrx and get her a fiesta or somthing small
Old 23 January 2005, 07:48 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by nardoblue
convinced the wife that if i sold my fireblade and the gx that i could get a wrx and get her a fiesta or somthing small
and they say there are no true gentlemen left in the world
Old 23 January 2005, 08:47 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is designed to run on 100 Ron and the ECU will retard the ignition to a certain extent if it detects knock. If you want the best performance from your car combined with engine longevity it would be in your interests to run on Optimax with NF Octane Booster or Super with NF in the absence of Optimax.
You should have the ECU read to see if there are any error codes and then have it reset by someone with a set of det cans. You can then drive off and they can listen to your engine to advise if there is any det.
You may wish to consider the purchase of a knock link and if you are going to do any modifications you need a boost guage and AFR meter.
Old 23 January 2005, 08:51 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

thank's for the advice bgood had a sport and a gx .convinced the wife that if i sold my fireblade and the gx that i could get a wrx and get her a fiesta or somthing small
Welcome to Scoobydom but so sad the Blade went!!
Old 23 January 2005, 09:02 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I have got away with 95 RON fuel with 1.5ml per litre of NF booster in a ScoobyECU'd MY96 for a little while now. There is sometimes no 97 RON fuel available near me.
(I have a few ScoobyECUs for sale too...)

If you go down this route, please get a knock link, as running on 95 + booster isn't the safest thing to do!
Old 24 January 2005, 01:14 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Picking up my newly bought '95 wrx ,totally std and was wondering what grade of fuel I could use in it as ther isn't a shell garage for mile's round here. she won't be thrashed so can I use super unleaded?
You dont say; but if its a TD04 equiped WRX 'Wagon then you should be alright using Optimax on its own. A WRX saloon will need Optimax and a small dose of NF to be safe though.

Simon
Old 24 January 2005, 09:23 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GC8
You dont say; but if its a TD04 equiped WRX 'Wagon then you should be alright using Optimax on its own. A WRX saloon will need Optimax and a small dose of NF to be safe though.

Simon
I was using Millers + Optimax before fitting a knocklink. Now just use Optimax, as knocklink very quiet. I'm sure it depends on the car/mods etc. Mine is fully de-catted and naturally producing 1bar of boost and its fine. I even had to use normal unleaded the other week but luckily had a bottle of millers in the boot and that was fine too. Just get first green lighting when cruising about 80ish on m'way, or when backing off.
Old 24 January 2005, 09:32 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the owner of a 95 WRX Wagon that was TD 04 equipped when in unmodified state when I first got it, I can assure you that the car had DET after any ECU reset when run on Optimax only. I can only conclude that is likely to be the same on other similar cars hence my advice to have it checked out by a competant person with det cans. This is far cheaper than an engine rebuild. Like 100 :1 if you are even charged for the det can listen under full power in a high gear.

but if its a TD04 equiped WRX 'Wagon then you should be alright using Optimax on its own. A WRX saloon will need Optimax and a small dose of NF to be safe though.

Why would there be no DET with a TD04 but there would be with a TD05???
A TD04 is perfectly capable of creating det conditions. DET is NOT dependant on what turbo you run and if you run a car with DET your ECU will retard the ignition and so you are not getting optimum performance. If the ECU does not or cannot retard the ignition far enough, the det continues and you cause serious engine damage over time which results in major expense.
Old 24 January 2005, 09:42 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

This did make me thing aswell???? onder2:
Old 24 January 2005, 06:26 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Contrary to the advice above,

ive got an my93wrx which i run for 2 years and it never saw a drop of anything other than Shell 'normal' 95ron..... it hated optimax and/ or super.

ive now got an RA engine, with remapped ecu , and i only ever use optimax, apart from when i cant get it, and then i use 95......

depends how you drive it ......