Impreza WRX Vs WRX STi UK

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2005, 02:11 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza WRX Vs WRX STi UK

Hi all after some advice.

In the next couple of months I plan to invest in an Impreza probably 52 or 03 plate and want to know if you think the STi type UK is worth the extra money over a WRX.

I test drove a 52 plate Sti Type UK with PPP and was very impressed however looking at it it's probably going to cost an extra £4k over a WRX is that £4k justified in your opinion??

I can afford the Sti but I'd be pushing it what do you reckon? Would it maybe be more cost effective getting a WRX and having it chipped / other modifications?

Look forward to joining the club in the coming months!

Cheers
Old 07 January 2005, 02:53 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

The 4k is definately worth it.

Do a search - this question has been asked a BILLION times over.

Don't forget http://www.sidc.co.uk - the Subaru Impreza Drivers Club.

Brian
Old 07 January 2005, 03:04 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Its worth it, Brian bought a lowly WRX <flame suit on> & regrets not splashing out the extra wonga to purchase the better of the two "STi"
Old 07 January 2005, 03:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scg

I test drove a 52 plate Sti Type UK with PPP and was very impressed however looking at it it's probably going to cost an extra £4k over a WRX is that £4k justified in your opinion??
A Std WRX would feel significantly slower than an STi PPP. There are more than just performance differences between the cars though. The character is different. WRX- comfortable, refined and fast. Sti PPP More focused, less refined, very, very fast. If you want performance above all else go fo the Sti, if comfort and refinement are important to you then you go for the WRX.

Originally Posted by scg
I can afford the Sti but I'd be pushing it what do you reckon? Would it maybe be more cost effective getting a WRX and having it chipped / other modifications?
Assuming you want to keep the warranty, you can PPP the WRX to 260bhp and have a car that can do a sub 5.0 to sixty but remains comfortable and refined. However, the Sti has more scope for tuning, as you've found out with the PPP

Only solution is to test drive both! Hard life! Do bear in mind that you need to be able to fairly comfortably afford whatever you choose; these are NOT cheap cars to run and if you don't look after them meticulously, it'll all end in tears!

Best wishes,
Old 07 January 2005, 03:11 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Assuming you want to keep the warranty, you can PPP the WRX to 260bhp and have a car that can do a sub 5.0 to sixty but remains comfortable and refined. However, the Sti has more scope for tuning, as you've found out with the PPP.
Probably the best solution in the real world especially if its your only car
The wrx ppp gets a big thumbs up with EVO as probably the nest all round option no silly 6 speed box either which to me seems to be a gimmick and just hampers progress in the STI
Old 07 January 2005, 03:16 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Its worth it, Brian bought a lowly WRX <flame suit on> & regrets not splashing out the extra wonga to purchase the better of the two "STi"
Thanks Stephen

Sometimes yes, mainly no. Easier to live with, more than quick enough and cheaper o run - the wrx makes more sense unless you need to go for seriously big power - then it's the STI.

Doing a lot of miles - buy a WRX - doing a few and only drive for pleasure - buy the STI.

Many arguments for and against each.

Brian
Old 07 January 2005, 03:57 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The most recent version

STi (coming from a WRX PPP driver )
Old 07 January 2005, 04:00 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

yeah i was in the same scenario a few months back... loved the STi but it was just too much all the time... since i do a few miles i went for the wrx... i'm now craving the PPP though

As said....drive both... I drove the wrx first and after 10 mins in the STi i knew exactly which i wanted!
Old 07 January 2005, 04:07 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

How did you come to your decision gso?

Brian
Old 07 January 2005, 05:08 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by mattstant
The wrx ppp gets a big thumbs up with EVO as probably the nest all round option no silly 6 speed box either which to me seems to be a gimmick and just hampers progress in the STI
I don't really agree with this. I've got an 03 WRX and the 5 speed is a bit crap - overtaking a car doing 40 mph - 3rd is a bit flat and 2nd is a bit OTT.
Drove a mates STI7 and was blown away by the gearbox - my next mod once the cash is available

Although on saying that, maybe PPP will help mid range torque and make it less of an issue.
Old 07 January 2005, 05:14 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

If you're thinking this way before you've bought one, go for the STi. I bought a new WRX a couple of years ago but always wanted more and wished i'd waited a little longer and saved up a bit harder for the STi. After 20 months i'd shelled out for a new WR1.
Old 08 January 2005, 10:17 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your points, although I'm still undecided

Will see how things pan out over the next couple of months. I think the devil on my left shoulder is having more of an influence though and I'm slightly leaning more towards the Sti! I compromised a bit with the current car I own 206 Gti and I think I'll only run the Scooby for a couple of years tops so I guess I should enjoy it as much as possible whilst I can (sounds like I'm talking myself into this).

Thanks again
Old 08 January 2005, 10:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Drive a wrx and sti back to back. If you have the money and still decide you want the wrx then get down to your local renault dealer and buy a 182, much cheaper and at least as good a driving experience.

gary
Old 08 January 2005, 10:34 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

I got myself a new WRX SL PPP last May (although it's officially the wife's), it's got PFF7's, an STi spoiler, Prodrive spring kit and 3 years free servicing. It has cost almost as much as a STi would have and doesn't have the same ultimate tuneability, but then the STi doesn't come with leather, I still would have to buy the PFF7's and the car does a lot more than just hardcore driving (there's a Cossie rally car getting built in the garage for that). Carefully weigh up all your options, and you'll notice that there isn't a great difference in price, but quite a difference in what you'll be prepared to put up with.

Happy Thinking
Craig
Old 09 January 2005, 07:32 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Drive a wrx and sti back to back. If you have the money and still decide you want the wrx then get down to your local renault dealer and buy a 182, much cheaper and at least as good a driving experience.

gary
Hmmm I did test drive a 182 a few months back and it was far too similar to what I've got (206 Gti). Although it's faster you have to give it some stupid amount of Revs to ever feel it (although not as bad as the Honda S2000!!). I really do like the feel of a turbo, so would probably go for a Ibiza Gti or S3 over a Clio if I wasn't going to bother with the Scooby. Oh well, we shall see in March (have to wait for my no claims!)
Old 09 January 2005, 07:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Hmmm I did test drive a 182 a few months back and it was far too similar to what I've got (206 Gti). Although it's faster you have to give it some stupid amount of Revs to ever feel it (although not as bad as the Honda S2000!!). I really do like the feel of a turbo, so would probably go for a Ibiza Gti or S3 over a Clio if I wasn't going to bother with the Scooby. Oh well, we shall see in March (have to wait for my no claims!)

I was just trying to point out that in standard form the wrx wont be alot, if at all, quicker than a 182. So you may not be as impressed as you thought. The sti is a different animal though.
Old 09 January 2005, 08:41 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mattstant
Err, no, the 6 speed box on the STI makes best use of the torque available and makes it more drivable. 30-50 in 4th on my STI feels faster than my previous MY02 PPP did in 3rd for instance. In 3rd the STI would leave my previous WRX for dead especially before I had PPP fitted to that car.
Old 09 January 2005, 10:35 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkie
Err, no, the 6 speed box on the STI makes best use of the torque available and makes it more drivable. 30-50 in 4th on my STI feels faster than my previous MY02 PPP did in 3rd for instance. In 3rd the STI would leave my previous WRX for dead especially before I had PPP fitted to that car.
Am I the only one who's taking a while to get used to using the 6 speed box, I find that you've got to be fast with your shifting? I found that setting the rpm buzzer to 6.5k rpm helps.
Old 09 January 2005, 10:42 PM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scg

I plan to invest in an Impreza!

Cheers
Err, don't buy either of them as an investment...the WRX is a moneypit and the STi is even more so

Buy one because you enjoy driving, enjoy the community spirit that goes along with owning one and, if you can afford the "extra £4k", then definately get the STi over the WRX.

Alternatively, shop around, do your homework then buy a Japanese Domestic Market model STi for the price of a UK WRX
Old 11 January 2005, 08:19 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusty.
Err, don't buy either of them as an investment
Ha ha ha yes invest was definetly the wrong word ;-)

'Purchase' or 'Ascertain' maybe!