Sponsored by:

Engine malfunction warning light

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 04:19 PM
BlueBlackScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine malfunction warning light

Over-taking last night and this started flashing on my MY02 WRX. Took it to the dealer this morning and hooked it up to the computer but no problems were reported in the memory.

Just a bit paranoid about it now, anyone else has this happen and what was the reason?
Old 23 December 2004, 04:25 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

My old Scoob did this once in 5 years, turned ignition off then on and it never happened again ( it was a MY94 though )
Old 23 December 2004, 04:26 PM
a2jcy
Scooby Regular

Cool

My02 done that questions asked what petrol you put in it was it optimax (yes)
right if it happens again bring it in (yes) on to computer new sensor all payed for by Mr Subaru Yellow light Gone
Old 23 December 2004, 04:29 PM
BlueBlackScooby
Scooby Regular

I have done over 42000 miles in it now and its never happened before, but I dont use optimax because for the mileage i do, its bloody expensive. I'll just have to wait to see if it happens again.
Old 23 December 2004, 04:54 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBlackScooby
Over-taking last night and this started flashing on my MY02 WRX. Took it to the dealer this morning and hooked it up to the computer but no problems were reported in the memory.

Just a bit paranoid about it now, anyone else has this happen and what was the reason?
A similar scenario to my own which turned out to be the Lambda sensor being u/s. I would have thought a fault would have been registered on the car.
Old 23 December 2004, 06:29 PM
Rogerscoo
Scooby Regular

Post Warning Light

I had the same problem with the light coming on intermittently, every few days with My 00. The first time was just before a Service and it was checked out, but nothing showed up on the diagnostic check. It then continued over the next 4/6 weeks, so I dropped it in the garage for a check over, and it was then diagnosed as the knock sensor, which was changed. The light hasn’t been on since, and that was 6 months ago.
Old 23 December 2004, 06:37 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i had it happen the other day,was giving it a bit of a thrash and it came on and stayed on,then next day it was off again,i took it in today to a garage i know and he read the fault stored and it was the 'cam position sensor',nothing to worry about as i read a thread a while ago when a subaru garage apparently said to someone ' don't worry sir,they all all get that',mine's a 2001 bugeye and i've had it 3 weeks,i'm gonna change the cam sensor and also put a new maf sensor in as well just so i know its right.
Old 23 December 2004, 06:44 PM
jonathan.harris
Scooby Newbie

A couple of days after buying mine, I had a couple of friends in the car and I thought I would show them how quick the car was. Before anyone starts, not at silly speeds. Just how quick it got from 0-70 on a dual-carriageway. So I put my foot down and by the look of them they seemed impressed, so was I until the engine warning light came on. I thought something had gone seriously wrong, so I pulled over and turned the engine off. Waited a few minutes and start the engine and no warning light. That was the last time it came on.

I think if it stays on your have something to worry about. I did read some time ago, that it might have been the computer re-setting due to petrol change or the way it’s being driven. But I’m not a mechanic, so would take that with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I hope it’s nothing serious.

Jonathan.