Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

No Octane Booster gives better performance?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 09:33 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Octane Booster gives better performance?

This is a strange one.

I've got a mildly modded Type R (V4) - have always used Optimax and a booster of some kind, more recently NF.

I now do a daily 130-140 mile round commute and fill up 3 times a week. Commute is roughly 20% fast, torquey country roads, 40% motorway and 40% A roads.

I ran out of NF last week and so have lived on a wing and a prayer until I get 20 mins in my lunch break to shoot up to Xtreme to restock.

Only thing is, since the booster has run out (2 tankfuls ago) the car has performed fantastically. I'm not really one to rant about performance when fuels and boosters are changed etc. but I can seriously notice the difference - the car is blisteringly quick, plus, and you won't believe this, I'm getting an extra 30 or so miles out of a tank???? Acceleration is instantaneous and hyer responsive in a car which has always been damn fast.

I'm 99.9% sure the car hasn't been remapped/piggybacked etc. over in the U.K as the garage I purchased it from had to register it and they certainly wouldn't have done it so what's going on? Is this to be shortlived? Did I perhaps previously 'over use' the booster (to be fair I probably used nearly to 50ml than recommended 30ml) but would it now make such a difference?

R
Old 15 December 2004, 09:35 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

It will be faster and more economical .... it's likely to be running leaner than it should .....

What does the knocklink look like ?

Steve
Old 15 December 2004, 09:37 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Not running a Knocklink, but the revs are noticeably more 'steady' at idle too.

R
Old 16 December 2004, 12:08 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

"Not running a knock link plus no OB" on a JDM Sti.

If decatted, be very very careful.
Old 16 December 2004, 12:17 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
It will be faster and more economical .... it's likely to be running leaner than it should .....

What does the knocklink look like ?

Steve
please explain how no octane booster makes your car run leaner?
Old 16 December 2004, 12:18 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

and i belive theres 2 many variables to say weather or not your getting better performance without the booster in
Old 16 December 2004, 12:26 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

To be honest, as StickyMicky says, there are too many variables.

To make optimum use of any octane booster or fuel change, the car needs to be set up to compensate for it.

Some people have reported before that over-use of the octane booster can make the car run badly.

Monitoring of the a/f ratios etc. are really the only way to ensure that the car isn't going to pop at any second.
Old 16 December 2004, 12:29 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

all I can tell you is that back to back on the bench dyno my engine made 60lbft more with full concentration NF than it did without it.
Old 16 December 2004, 01:36 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

if you have an ecu that capable of self learning forwards as well as i retardation then you will surely be able to see improvement in the performance with OB added.
reset the ecu and the car thinks "ooh, go go juice, have some!", advances the timing some and theres your bonus ponies.

aftermarket ecu's will either need to be mapped to run on OB or have the facility to adjust the timing depending on whether you do/dont add OB.

OB is not also a performance product, it merely suppresses DET iirc, having DET supressed means you can advance the ignition and the cycle goes on again.

I am confident (and possibly wrong) that OB itself is not a mod
Old 16 December 2004, 02:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Something that gives c.10% extra power and torque with the same lag I think is quite a good performance mod.
Old 16 December 2004, 02:08 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

John,
doesnt it allow you to advance your state of tune to about 10%, rather than it just find 10% without anything else?
as said, could well be wrong but I thought OB was a piece of a jigswa or a door that once opened allowed you more inside
(bad analogy I know)
Andy
Old 16 December 2004, 03:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes

I adore bad analogies

Furry tennis ***** in plastic cups next
Old 16 December 2004, 03:13 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Old 16 December 2004, 05:17 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

LOL at John
Old 16 December 2004, 07:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i could never really see how adding a dibble o booster in 60l o fuel could raise the oct level that much...
Old 16 December 2004, 07:55 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
This is a strange one.

I've got a mildly modded Type R (V4) - have always used Optimax and a booster of some kind, more recently NF.

I now do a daily 130-140 mile round commute and fill up 3 times a week. Commute is roughly 20% fast, torquey country roads, 40% motorway and 40% A roads.

I ran out of NF last week and so have lived on a wing and a prayer until I get 20 mins in my lunch break to shoot up to Xtreme to restock.

Only thing is, since the booster has run out (2 tankfuls ago) the car has performed fantastically. I'm not really one to rant about performance when fuels and boosters are changed etc. but I can seriously notice the difference - the car is blisteringly quick, plus, and you won't believe this, I'm getting an extra 30 or so miles out of a tank???? Acceleration is instantaneous and hyer responsive in a car which has always been damn fast.

I'm 99.9% sure the car hasn't been remapped/piggybacked etc. over in the U.K as the garage I purchased it from had to register it and they certainly wouldn't have done it so what's going on? Is this to be shortlived? Did I perhaps previously 'over use' the booster (to be fair I probably used nearly to 50ml than recommended 30ml) but would it now make such a difference?

R
No logical reason why not using OB would make it run better.

Sure it's not just overboosting....?
Old 17 December 2004, 07:22 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

tennis ***** in furry cups John?

that'll be stretching it a little

Old 17 December 2004, 01:20 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Another interesting observation; a while back a ex Scooby mechanic I knew turned the idle control valve ever so slightly because at that time most of my driving was 'around town' and my 'R doesn't exactly idle well in traffic... Altering the ICV position helped the idle but ever so occasionally the CEL would come on and this was almost always after a motorway run as I brought down the speed and revs and concentrated on the A and B roads. The CEL always went out quickly and instantly if I put my foot on the clutch and coasted for 20 yards or so...(??)

Since not having the two tanks of OB the light has NOT come on at all, and as mentioned in the first post the 'pick up' is a lot more noticable too (particulary through low end gear changes through the country lanes).

My assumption here is that instead of running to lean as first thought, I was actually running too rich and hence it's now running smoother without the OB? This would also enforce the reason as to why I was previously getting about 235 miles a tank to the 270 odd at the moment...

Nevertheless, I'm off up to Xtreme early part of next week (using the wifes Roadster this week) to stock up on OB again anyway, it's just the better running confused me slightly....

Cheers all.

R