New Boy

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 09:33 PM
shillers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boy

Hi People

Recently bought a Jap import Sti 28000mls 1999 - Very pleased with it - great to drive and feels very sure footed. It has a lot of road noise, particularly above 60 - Is that normal?

cheers
Old 11 December 2004, 09:36 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shillers
Hi People

Recently bought a Jap import Sti 28000mls 1999 - Very pleased with it - great to drive and feels very sure footed. It has a lot of road noise, particularly above 60 - Is that normal?

cheers
if you hav a decat it is
Old 11 December 2004, 09:42 PM
shillers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bighead
if you hav a decat it is
I think it is - but this sounds like tyre noise. Definately not diff, maybe wheel bearing but at 28k on the clock, i would be surprised.

I shall service it myself because its a jap job - where is the best place for service parts?

cheers

A new boy to the scooby world
Old 11 December 2004, 09:47 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Some modern performance tyres give a lot of road noise one of the worst are the Potenza range by bridgestone. It's due to their thick sidewalls.
Old 12 December 2004, 08:27 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyre noise definately.
I dont know if you know, but the JDM imports need 100+ ron fuel, especially the STi's, so your going to ALWAYS have to run the car on optimax AND octane booster (Millers octane plus or NF) if you dont want a big bill for the engine.... plus id look at getting a knocklink fitted, available from www.jap-innovations.co.uk and dont forget the Bosch sensor
Servcing depends on where you are in the UK, these cars have the same service intervals as the UK classics (7.5k or 6 months, whichever is reached first) plus cambelts every 3 years (use only approved belts or it could be very expensive again...)
If you give people a general location, ie south east, midlands etc, they can point you in the right direction for servicing, as if you havnt done much, this isnt the engine to try it out on (bad procedures can lead to engine failure due to oil starvation).

Tony

PS, as your car is a 99 model, you can get it remapped though you will need to speak to your insurance co to see how much they will add to your policy for it...
Old 12 December 2004, 07:08 PM
shillers
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Tyre noise definately.
I dont know if you know, but the JDM imports need 100+ ron fuel, especially the STi's, so your going to ALWAYS have to run the car on optimax AND octane booster (Millers octane plus or NF) if you dont want a big bill for the engine.... plus id look at getting a knocklink fitted, available from www.jap-innovations.co.uk and dont forget the Bosch sensor
Servcing depends on where you are in the UK, these cars have the same service intervals as the UK classics (7.5k or 6 months, whichever is reached first) plus cambelts every 3 years (use only approved belts or it could be very expensive again...)
If you give people a general location, ie south east, midlands etc, they can point you in the right direction for servicing, as if you havnt done much, this isnt the engine to try it out on (bad procedures can lead to engine failure due to oil starvation).

Tony

PS, as your car is a 99 model, you can get it remapped though you will need to speak to your insurance co to see how much they will add to your policy for it...
Cheers Tony for that information - I did not realize that so I will look into the octane boost and knocklink - I have always run it on Optimax. The car has been in the UK for 4 years so I guess I need to find out if these mods have been done already.

I am in Portsmouth

Once again thanks for the info
Old 12 December 2004, 07:13 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

welcome matey .........enjoy the car, take it easy and make sure you keep it under lock and key. There are a lot of them going walkies these days.

gary
Old 13 December 2004, 06:37 AM
Little Miss WRX

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Scoobynet forums.