Sponsored by:

Main Dealer or Imported Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 06:01 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Dealer or Imported Cars

Of all the Subaru WRX's around, are the majority imported or main dealer supplied?
Old 10 December 2004, 07:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Classic WRX's are all imports from Japan.

New ('01-on) WRX's are almost all main dealer supplied, with a few Euro imports, but very few if any Japanese imports. Same goes for the STI, though there are few more Japanese STIs around and one or two US STIs too.
Old 10 December 2004, 07:07 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Why are the majority of 01 onward WRX's main dealer supplied as they are more expensive than imports? What is the advantage?
Old 10 December 2004, 07:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well, I can't put figures on it - maybe a whole hoarde of import owners will descend on me at this point - but I'd say Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Worries - founded or otherwise - exist over warranty, dealer servicing, parts availability, ability to get Prodrive upgrades fitted, and actually getting hold of and registering the car.

Maybe some import owners would care to comment further? I have a Japanese import (STI, better spec than UK) and have had no problems at all so far. Plus, how many main dealers would give you a JDM-spec Honda Integra Type-R as a courtesy car?
Old 10 December 2004, 07:24 PM
scoobie elf
Scooby Regular

Am I correct in thinking that with an pan european warranty that all major parts are covered? I also thought that the main dealers would service an import anyway as work is money. If I was to have an import serviced at Prosport in Stockport who are an authorised Subaru service centre, would I have a problem with the warranty?
Old 10 December 2004, 07:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I can only comment on my euro import 05wrx, as I have done before, in that I haven't had any such probs with dealers, IM, servicing or PPP (it seems all the dealers I've asked are more than willing to fit it).

Insurance may be a little more (~£100) but the fact you save so much to start more than makes up for this.

Jason
Old 10 December 2004, 07:32 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
Am I correct in thinking that with an pan european warranty that all major parts are covered? I also thought that the main dealers would service an import anyway as work is money. If I was to have an import serviced at Prosport in Stockport who are an authorised Subaru service centre, would I have a problem with the warranty?
The warranty on my car is exactly the same as UK cars. (I do have a 5yr transmission warranty on mine, not exactly sure the uk cars do- only 3 yrs i think)
Old 10 December 2004, 08:07 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
I can only comment on my euro import 05wrx, as I have done before, in that I haven't had any such probs with dealers, IM, servicing or PPP (it seems all the dealers I've asked are more than willing to fit it).

Insurance may be a little more (~£100) but the fact you save so much to start more than makes up for this.

Jason
Interesting thought that dealer where not supposed to fit PPP to euro imports and that they had to go back to the country of dealer that supplied it?
Might have to ask local dealer this, he is more than happy to service my euro import.
Seriously thinking about comming back to a Scoob and its going to ba another Euro import - just deciding if to go the PPP route or the Ecutek route.

Richard
Old 10 December 2004, 08:14 PM
team kosoku
Scooby Regular

I own a jap import WRX. Yes there is that certain amount of uncertainty with an import, but if you buy it from a reputable importer (usually much cheaper than UK models) it shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that JDM models have better intercoolers and better suspension than Euro models!!!
Old 10 December 2004, 08:19 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobie elf
If I was to have an import serviced at Prosport in Stockport who are an authorised Subaru service centre, would I have a problem with the warranty?
Ask Pete or John from Prosport I am sure they could tel you the answer
Old 10 December 2004, 09:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by team kosoku
Don't forget that JDM models have better intercoolers and better suspension than Euro models!!!
Errrm not quite correct, the STi's have different and better intercoolers, suspension is possably/probably harder on the JDM car and the intercoolers will be exactly the same as an equivelant uk car.
The Spec of the model will be better though (ie climate control, folding wing mirrors) but mechanically, most are identical.

Tony
Old 10 December 2004, 09:02 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

The main reason why there is not many new age JDM imported WRX / STI's around is because they are too expensive from Japan, simple as that. The UK bugeye has very poor residual value, (see here
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=385944) and the JDM WRX does not have a significant performance advantage. The UK STI with PPP is a near even match for the JDM version, the JDM is a better car but not much. Not forgetting the Subaru 3 year waranty for UK spec, it is the best in the business!

When it comes to older cars however the JDM offers significant advantages both on performance and quailty, Japanese average miles is about half ours, car theft is unheard of and all cars are goverend to 110mph. In an few years time you may see more JDM motors about.

Last edited by wideybrook; 15 March 2005 at 06:34 PM.