Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire / hesitation.. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 06:58 PM
quicks
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Misfire / hesitation.. Any ideas?

Hi,

I currently have a UK MY99 Impreza turbo (no mods) that after it has stood for a week or so (which tends to be most of the time as I commute via train), drives terrible for the first 10/15 mins, not talking a bit lumpy here, but say you are doing about 30mph in 3rd, you then floor it, the car just throws you back and forward as though you were stabbing repeatedly on the accelerator, give it slightly more speed (so your revs are around 3500/4000 so the turbo is spinning), then floor it again, and its like its only got 50% power. But then after about 10/15 mins it all seems to be ok (ie no suging, smooth running and full power), even when the temp guage says its warmed up it still has the same problem for another 5/10 mins.

To be honest, my mechanical skills are a bit low (to say the least), I don't know whether it electrical, fuel problems, turbo problems or what?

I was hoping that somebody on here might be able to give me an idea or if anyone has experianced this before.

All input much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 05 December 2004, 09:11 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Well Ive had a similar problem on my MY99 and have been told to get the plugs changed... It was serviced recently but they wanted a member of my family and my house deeds to change them so I enrolled a fellow s/netter who knows what a spark plug looks like to help me
Old 06 December 2004, 10:49 AM
quicks
Scooby Newbie

Cheers mate,

Bit naive here, but is there any way to check the plugs are ok? ie can I just take them out and tell by the look of them if they have had it.

Also, they were replaced 16 months ago and the cars done about 11k miles, I would have thought they should last a bit longer than that, or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks
Old 06 December 2004, 01:52 PM
kayeabl
Scooby Regular

Default Damp

Afternoon,

I also have a MY98 UK Turbo which often stands for a week or so without being driven. Sadly its just a little damp and condensation that causes the problem. I had the same thing with my previous Celica Gt4 as well. With an open bonnet and those vents water does get into the scoob and condense in the winter.

Things to do is obviously check the basics to make sure there isn't a problem i.e plugs in good condition, HT leads are pushed on properly and i would give it all a spray of something like WD-40 if it is going to be standing for a while.

After the car warms up and been on boost for a bit its usually fine afterwards.

cheers

Ash