Thinking about buying a "51" WRX

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 10:46 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about buying a "51" WRX

Hi

I currently drive a 52 Civic Type R but have a baby on the way so have got the feeling i need a 4 door.

I am going to look at a scoob tomorrow, 51 plate, 1 owner, 30k on clock and standard. On paper it looks mint, but is there anything specific i should be looking out for. Its at a dealer not a private sale.

Its priced at 11.5k - ideally i would be looking at a straight swap with my CTR as i reckon its worth around 12K (i have aircon). Do you reckon the dealer would go for this??

I've only ever driving an old shape scoob (V plate) and no doubting it was a good ride, it did seem a bit flimsy to me. Are the new shapes more chunky???

Cheers fellas (and gals)
Old 26 November 2004, 11:04 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya.

I think you may be paying a little too much for the 01 wrx. I am selling my 01 wrx to a subaru dealer this weekend for an STI and they have offered me £9250. It is a parrallel import (european) but this shouldn't affect the price too much (Maybe £800). But my car includes 2 years left on a tracker and in mint condition. I think they will negotiate or go somewhere else. I hope this helps.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:32 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of euro import cars of that vintage - I have one

So see if its a UK car - look in the service book. AFAIK the material differences betwen them are

1. Locking wheenuts
2. No alarm as standard
3. A bit of underseal

If it is a euro then you could try and get the price down a bit. The differences shouldn't put you off IMHO

My 51 WRX has now done 45000 trouble free miles. Tyres can be pricey - so a new set could be worth a few quid, as is the 30,000 mile service (£450 or so).

Most insurance cos seem to want a tracker - one of these fitted (and working!) would be useful and could save you £500.

Is it modded - different exhaust - PPP - headlight?

The bug eyes are better screwed together and refined than the *classics*, the downside of this is a weight penalty of about 300kgs which blunts the performance.

I'm quite happy with mine as it is.

Last edited by Nigel H; 26 November 2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:45 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

The dealer will sting you no matter what.
Their mark up is ridiculous..........they are only out to make money.....not help you.

I wasnt prepared to pay the prices dealers wanted, especially after seeing what you can get from on autotrader. Some real minters, newer , lower milage and cheaper etc etc.

I didnt want to buy private, as i felt it was too much of a risk when spending that much cash.

Look around and haggle with prices.........you will get a bargain.

I viewed loads and did about 2 months research prior to buying. I finally viewed a late 52 plate WRX, with prodrive backbox, 12,000 miles, and only 1 owner, i viewed this from trader ( not dealer ).......so i would have some come back if need be.

He had it up for £13,000...........i got the car for £12,300 which i think is a good price considering the year, milage etc etc.

If its at a dealer, you will be fine, you have come back if anything is wrong.
I was very cautious when buying mine from a trader, i did two seperate HPI checks, and contacted the supplying dealer to check it was a UK car.

This time of year you will get a real bargain if you push for it, as car sales are low and dealers want all they can get.

Good Luck.

Marc.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:48 AM
Gunn79
Scooby Regular

I was looking to get a UK bug eye a while back, but after test driving one a few times and numerous trips to my Subaru local dealer I bought A 53 CTR. Just found the Civic was the better car for my needs. Main reason being I surf a lot, and the WRX rear seats did not fold down, making it very hard to fit 3 6' to 7' boards in.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:51 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

definitely do a check on autotrader to compare whats available and if you can look further afield than just your closest garage / dealer.

we've just bought a nearly new STi and saved ourselves 2k+ on what we would have had to have paid for one down our way. ended up going a couple of hundred miles (as we were already going to be in that particular area for a long weekend) and buying one from a garage (not sub dealer).

we even considered one in scotland and checked on flight prices to have a little mini-break up there whilst buying a car and driving it home !
Old 26 November 2004, 05:48 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
Hi

I currently drive a 52 Civic Type R but have a baby on the way so have got the feeling i need a 4 door.

I am going to look at a scoob tomorrow, 51 plate, 1 owner, 30k on clock and standard. On paper it looks mint, but is there anything specific i should be looking out for. Its at a dealer not a private sale.

Its priced at 11.5k - ideally i would be looking at a straight swap with my CTR as i reckon its worth around 12K (i have aircon). Do you reckon the dealer would go for this??

I've only ever driving an old shape scoob (V plate) and no doubting it was a good ride, it did seem a bit flimsy to me. Are the new shapes more chunky???

Cheers fellas (and gals)

I part-exed a 51 plate WRX, 30k on clock to a dealer about a month ago in West London. They gave me £9250 and knocked money off a MY04STI. Mine was a european import though. If the plate begins with LN51 - It could be my old one.
Old 26 November 2004, 06:05 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

£11.5 is not crazy money for a 51 plate at a dealer, sure you coudl get it down to closer to 11k. But if you are talking a straight swap for your CTR which you say is worth £12k, then you are paying £12k for an 01 bug, it is a little on the high side, sure the dealer would be pleased with that! If you can sell your CTR £12k at a dealer would buy you maybe a 52 plate with less miles. Clearly you get more private, my 01 Y plate EC import with 17k on the clock cost me £10k, loving it!
Old 26 November 2004, 07:35 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to trade my 01 (x plate) bugeye in at a Ford dealers tommorow, 42K, STI8 spoiler - hoping for £9k - £9300 what do you think i'll get?