Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 JDM Type 20 - 1100 miles on...

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2004, 08:53 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 JDM Type 20 - 1100 miles on...

Had it's 1000 mile service at powerstation on Tuesday, also had a spec C fuel pump fitted (in anticipation of track day season). Cant tell whether the spec c turbo has any noticeable advantages over standard yet but it makes cool noises. So far so good - to live with as a daily car I think it's just on the borderline of being liveable (for this reason I have no regrets for not going for the spec c - way too raw for daily use IMHO albeit a fantastic car). The handling is sensational (no hint of U/S) but.. umm hard, so the AST's which are on route from Holland will be welcome. Noticing a few rattles on the inside but just turned the stereo up...the quick rack really does take some getting used to (never had one before on the P1 or any other car) - a whole new driving experience. The miltek rasp is addictive. Gearbox is far notchier than the P1 and has very close gates if you're half asleep...when you floor it, it just seems to go on and on - red lines at 8K ...haven't had the heart to take it up there yet after only 1100 miles, but I have no doubt it will pull all the way up to it. Car does feel heavier and more substantial than my P1, less "tinny". Steering feels heavier - maybe because of the 8" wheels and the 235 REO70's (which are the dogs!). Would like to get 18" wheels but am reluctant to lose the REO's. Inside is way better than the old although you still feel the miles are your **** and clutch foot. Just the AST's, itg air induction and remap to go and I'm done - roll on the summer! Blacks a bit*h but I love it!
Old 25 November 2004, 08:58 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Nice

Sounds great
Old 25 November 2004, 09:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

What he said

I test drove a Type 25 on Friday so I know what you mean about the sound from the Milltek system - though my own car (with its standard JDM STI exhaust) makes a similar noise, just quieter. It's quite addictive actually.

I'm on 1350 miles now and I've still got the rev limit set at 5500rpm - though after 1000 miles of half throttle I have at least allowed myself to open it up all the way

Do let me know how you get on with the AST suspension - the '04 T25 I drove had decidedly soggy steering after my '05 car and I want to be 100% sure it wasn't down to the AST's. Litchfields' say not, but a second opinion never hurts.
Old 26 November 2004, 01:56 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Andy can you define soggy mate?

Would also consider AST suspension but I really can't fault the handling of my car with a proper geo setup. I've not driven an 05 yet but the steering in my car with quick rack is lightning fast and very sharp.

Cheers

Nathan..
Old 26 November 2004, 02:08 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Glad your enjoying it Dean

Andy:The 04 T25 you drove had "Wife friendly" geometry so it will feel less manic than a std set up. The AST's will improve the ride quality and grip but the other T20/T25 mods effect the steering feel

Iain

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk
Old 26 November 2004, 02:42 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

My car has exceptionally direct steering - turn the wheel and the nose heads in exactly the direction you point it, with no hesitation or vagueness that I can detect at all. It's a sensation I've only ever experienced before with lightweight cars (Lotus Elise, Westfield) or in a Mitsubishi Evo, and which I think is a fantastic achievement for what is after all, quite a heavy car.

By contrast, the 'wife friendly' MY04 Type 25 I drove was... well, more like a 'normal' car - I'd turn the wheel by the amount I'd expect, and find myself needing a bit more lock to get round the corner. The directness from the '05 car just wasn't there, and nor was the feedback through the wheel. I had to ask to check that the car had the same quick steering rack as mine.

Coupled with the softer suspension providing my bum with some (welcome!) isolation from the shape of the road surface, I felt distanced from the driving experience in a way that I've not felt before. My old MY00, my new JDM '05 STI and both the UK and JDM '04 STIs I test drove all felt more involving. I did wonder how the T25 had won quite such high praise from the (no doubt Impreza bored) motoring press - now I know

Still want to try the '05 kit or a Spec C to be sure, though...
Old 26 November 2004, 03:51 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Sounds just like an Audi

So it was wife friendly settings LMAO.

My car is exactly as you describe your own. It just darts into corners with seemingly never ending grip. Until the oversteer kicks in due to my heavy right foot and all hell breaks loose
Old 26 November 2004, 04:14 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I had to lol at 'wife friendly' too - Mrs C hates understeer even more than me!
Old 26 November 2004, 06:15 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

I should point out that was the customers request and name

Andy when the dust settles (literally ) in the next few weeks your welcome to come and have a go in all the different versions, leave it a little longer and you can try Type RA suspension as well

Iain
Old 26 November 2004, 06:48 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iain,

Are those test drives available to the more senior people as well!!!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 November 2004, 07:01 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Seniors welcome, just bring you bus pass as ID
Old 26 November 2004, 07:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

*sigh* so many toys, so little spare cash

Will be in touch in the new year - I have to replace the van first. Last weekend I had 30 bags of gravel to transport and I'll be doing the same this week too - no way are they going in my nice new scooby! So, tomorrow it's off to tour the local back street garages in the search for a practical, inexpensive runabout that doesn't drip oil everywhere. What fun
Old 26 November 2004, 07:45 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iain,

I will let you guys and girls settle in at your new premises and pop up for a drink and a mince pie then. Now where is my bus pass!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 26 November 2004, 09:17 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

I've heard about your "mince" pies. No thanks mate.

Ian
Old 27 November 2004, 09:01 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Iain are you organising anothet track day???
Feb would be good.
Dont fancy an SIDC "I`m the fastest driver in the World cos I have a Subaru" day too much??
Let me know so I can whip your modified skips in my "Official" UK beasty
PS have you got a set of 17`s with REO`s second hand for track days going spare and cheap??
Old 27 November 2004, 10:00 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Smile

Would love to organise another trackday like before but just don't have any spare time at the moment. Plan to look into it in the New year.

I might be able to dig out a set of wheels and tyres for you. I'd strongly recommend you get a Spec C fuel pump fitted as you'll get bad fuel surge at trackdays (regardless of STI version) at around half a tank or less. My "skips" can even get it in a straight line

Iain
Old 27 November 2004, 11:03 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

fuel surge PMSL!

I cant help it!

lol

Old 27 November 2004, 11:54 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iainlit
Would love to organise another trackday like before but just don't have any spare time at the moment. Plan to look into it in the New year.

I might be able to dig out a set of wheels and tyres for you. I'd strongly recommend you get a Spec C fuel pump fitted as you'll get bad fuel surge at trackdays (regardless of STI version) at around half a tank or less. My "skips" can even get it in a straight line

Iain
ok let me know.
get a day organised mate.