Sponsored by:

Importing an Impreza Type-R?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2004, 08:53 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Importing an Impreza Type-R?

I have heard that because of a change in the law, that it is no longer able to import Type-R Imprezas into the UK. I live in Cyprus and will importing (well shipping!) my type-R home to the UK.
My Type-R is from Singapore originally (from Japan before?) and I will be getting it SVA'd in Cyprus before I take it back. I hear you can hire model reports. Can anybody shed light on this topic?
Will I have problems?
Will it be OK as the car is already in the EU and going to another EU country.

I'm well worried now.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

-------------------------
WRX STi Type-R Version 5
330bhp
Old 23 November 2004, 09:05 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

To start with, on the beautiful little island of Cyprus, you have the pleasure of 100 octane fuel. In 'Great' Britain, as far as fuel is concerned, we live in a controlled country where the highest octane fuel available is Shell Optimax, 98, or else 'super' (not so super) unleaded, 97 octane. So an ECU remap for UK fuel is your first port of call. Some of the other members here will give you further advice.

I was at the rally in Cyprus last year, and ive never seen so many beautiful, tastily modified classic Scoobies on such a small island. I sat on that 'drag strip' in Limassol every night, (where all the cafe's are) watching the cars burn up and down! Highly recommended!
Old 23 November 2004, 09:15 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
To start with, on the beautiful little island of Cyprus, you have the pleasure of 100 octane fuel. In 'Great' Britain, as far as fuel is concerned, we live in a controlled country where the highest octane fuel available is Shell Optimax, 98, or else 'super' (not so super) unleaded, 97 octane. So an ECU remap for UK fuel is your first port of call. Some of the other members here will give you further advice.

I was at the rally in Cyprus last year, and ive never seen so many beautiful, tastily modified classic Scoobies on such a small island. I sat on that 'drag strip' in Limassol every night, (where all the cafe's are) watching the cars burn up and down! Highly recommended!

you lucky get! i left the beautiful island only one week before it started!!!

and oh yeah there are some real head turners there including a tasty gold tommi mak evo ripping it up around the protaras area!!
Old 23 November 2004, 10:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If its registered in an EU country then its easy to register in the UK. Get an MOT; fill in the form and pay the first regristration fee to the VRO man.

The law didnt change though; it remains exactly the same; but an abused loophole was closed and 'modified for disabled use' vehicles now have to use a comparison test/model report like un-modified cars do. Before you could fix a steering aid onto the steering wheel and and take a simple E-SVA test.

Simon
Old 23 November 2004, 10:43 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by GREGGYG

I was at the rally this year and it was brilliant!!!! I have some great pics of Soldberg and crew in action if you would be interested in seeing them. Yeah, we are lucky enough to have 100ron fuel here, which I use all the time. Will need to get it re-mapped when I get back to Blighty, although I live in South West Scotland (Dumfries) and will be MILES from any Scooby tuners who will be able to do this for me!!!!!! :-(

All the ships bringing used cars from Japan, stop off in Cyprus, so the car dealers here get first pic. of the desirable Scooby models (22B's, STi's, Type-R's/RA's, S202's, 25's, Spec-C's etc.).

I live near Limassol and there is lots of nice Scoobys here! Although the owners drive like extras from the 'Fast and the Furious'!

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 23 November 2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 10:46 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
If its registered in an EU country then its easy to register in the UK. Get an MOT; fill in the form and pay the first regristration fee to the VRO man.

The law didnt change though; it remains exactly the same; but an abused loophole was closed and 'modified for disabled use' vehicles now have to use a comparison test/model report like un-modified cars do. Before you could fix a steering aid onto the steering wheel and and take a simple E-SVA test.

Simon
Will I still need to get it SVA tested?
I can get that done here!
Old 23 November 2004, 10:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby

All the ships bringing used cars from Japan, stop off in Cyprus, so the car dealeres here get first pic. of the desirable Scooby models (22B's Type-R's/RA's, S202's, 25's, Spec-C's etc.).
I cant let this go! If they have 'first pick' then they are picking over the dregs of the Japanese used car market. These cars will end up in docks auctions in England and they are sh*te; they are usually of ****-poor grade and they have all of their oil change & cambelt change stickers removed and there isnt an auction sheet in sight.... haircut anybody?

Simon (I hate docks auctions ffs)
Old 23 November 2004, 10:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If it is already registered in an EU country then it wont be required.
Old 24 November 2004, 01:57 AM
scooby-zeus28
Scooby Regular

were abouts r u from near Limassol ?
Old 24 November 2004, 02:25 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Akrotiri, near Limassol.
Old 24 November 2004, 06:18 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

that was the best thing i could remember form holiday in Cyprus earlier this year in Limassol - aswell

one eyecather was a STI ver 4 type R in White with big STI decals on the sides of the car - if only i could have got a photo
Old 24 November 2004, 07:54 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

cyprusscooby when you get back over to the uk you should pop over to the cumbrian scoobs local meet 2nd wednesday of the month near penrith. quite a vairied selection of scoobs 22bs type r's ra's etc. have a look here about us quite a friendly bunch

mike type r owner
Old 24 November 2004, 09:44 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

I would love to see the photo's! I have some excellent one's too, from the shakedown at Stavrovouni. I have to confess something though, I sold my Scooby last month for an Evo 7 FQ 300, and I miss the Scooby sooooooo much! And I WILL be getting another next May, when my current insurance runs out. I had a 03 WRX PPP. In Top Marques, YOU CAN GET A BRAND NEW 2005 MODEL EU WRX for £15,295 on the road! With 3 year Subaru warranty!
Old 24 November 2004, 11:02 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
cyprusscooby when you get back over to the uk you should pop over to the cumbrian scoobs local meet 2nd wednesday of the month near penrith. quite a vairied selection of scoobs 22bs type r's ra's etc. have a look here about us quite a friendly bunch

mike type r owner
Thanks Faster Mike!!. Cumbrian Scoobs is going to be the nearest owners club for me when I move back. I'll have to pop down.

I will also need to find out the nearest place to get my Type-R remapped when I get home. It would be great to meet up with other Type-R owners and get some advice.

----------------------
WRX STi Type-R V5
330bhp
Old 24 November 2004, 11:21 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

i think the nearest for a remap(apexi) is andy forest which i think he's in the edinborgh area(think) he's maped one the lads cars, and was very pleased with it.

mike