Sponsored by:

UK/European import Sti, MY 2002 and newer

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 11:47 PM
eng622
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK/European import Sti, MY 2002 and newer

I am a new member seeking advice before purchase. Would like to know if there is any difference in the spec. between UK and EU import on 2002 and newer Sti's. I'm assuming if you purchase new an EU one that you don't get 3-year warranty,cat1 alarm/imm. and tracker! What do you need to look for in a used vehicle. With the Sti Prodrive how can you be sure it has the performance pack and not just the cosmetic one, which I read was available only on early 2002 cars? What is required and how much does it cost to upgrade san Sti to PPP power if you opt to go for non Prodrive upgrade. Motorpoint of Derby list the Sti at around £20,500 so I assume it is an EU import as a lot cheaper than Subaru list price. They also list a model called extreme? for more money but don't know what that is. In reality I would prefer to buy a used one MY 2002 but wonder if the latest spec is worth paying the extra.
Many thanks, Melvyn Dodridge
Old 24 November 2004, 11:58 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Hi Melvyn,

The Euro STI is 99% the same car as the 'UK' spec car. There are a few basic differences, but these changes are made by Subaru UK when the car arrives to the UK, they are not factory differences. These UK additions are:

- Cat 1 Alarm
- Tracker
- Locking wheel nuts

Due to changes in Euro legislation, European car manufacturers are now legally required to honour warranties throughout Europe. So a Euro car WILL now have an equivalent 3 year warranty as a UK car.

The Extreme version adds the DCCD option to the car, which is fitted as standard on UK cars. This costs an extra grand I think, hence the price increase on UK cars from 25 to 26K.

Have fun,

LC
Old 25 November 2004, 12:35 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The 2002 EU cars came with a 3 year warranty. I think the easiest way to tell if the car has been PPPd other than the Prodrive-stamped straight-cut backbox is if you look under the bonnet at the intercooler pipe. It should be blue with the Prodrive logo showing. A 2002 car will be nearly at the end of its 3 year warranty so if you want more power it would be cheaper to look at 3rd party mods instead of dealer fit stuff.