Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 10:49 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking One month report - MY05

Thought I'd write up my experiences so far after a month
ownership of my MY05 wagon below

Previous car was an MY00 wagon with some exhaust mods and I was happy to stick to Scooby ownership. My budget was about 20K and I honestly couldn't find anything (apart from an R32) that met the spec/performance/space that I wanted in a new/1 yr old car. I like the effortless mid-range oooomph, like the fold down space of the wagon and wanted 4WD for our winters up here.

I've now run 'Hamish' in, had the 1k service and am giving him some beans every now and again after sticking to a 4K limit or so.

Look wise I'm impressed. I much prefer it to the saloon which looks a bit awkward at the rear. WR Blue wouldn't have been my first choice (white or red) but that's what the dealer had in stock and it's growing on me a lot. Scoobs always look better with colour coded skirts and sadly I like the red painted calipers which seem to finish him off well. The ride height is a bit high but some Prodrive springs will sort that out ..

.. it was time to move on from the classic wagon I had and I'm afraid there are too many chavs up here now with classic scoobs, all stickered up with mahoosive pipes sticking out the back and their big 19 inch halfords fox alloys .... errrrm nice

The interior is fantastic, OK not Audi quality but as far as I can see up there with all the rest now, Golfs etc included. The standard stereo is pretty poor but with a new set of speakers (even worse) will probably do for me. Climate control works great and things like aluminium bezels round the dials make it a nice place to be. The dealer supplied mats are wearing a bit thin in places already .. the doors clunk shut and it's like the Scoob has suddenly got double glazing as the wind noise compared to the old one has halved at least.

Handling has come on quite a bit too. There is less body roll and the Bridgestones stick to the road much better than the Toyos I had on my MY00.

Whether this is due to the handling/stiffness improvements of the new car or my dislike of Toyo's in the damp is hard to tell. It still soaks up un-even roads and is much better in the twisties

Hamish is still a bit tight engine wise so I can't fully compare him to the last one. Also with the twin pea shooters out the back combined with the reduction in road/wind noise it is hard to gauge speed/revs compared to my MY00. Red-lining in every gear the MY00 was quicker with the exhaust mods .. probably not a huge amount in it. Take them both for an average drive say 2.5K - 5K rev range, nice and easy country pootle and the MY05 dials in more speed with less effort. Add it's ability to go round corners better and it'll get there quicker and less stressfully than the MY00.

There is certainly more get up and go from 2K onwards, 30 in 4th is now possible (the MY00 grumbled at this), it just feels more flexible and willing to fire you up the road.

All in all it's a better car, it is more grown up BUT if you are looking for an adrenalin shot every time you go out you're better off with a classic. Been said often enough on here the classic is a rawer car and you have more exposure to all the elements. If you've never driven a scoob, start with a classic and that's when you find out what all the fuss is about.
I think once you had a classic scoob and it's getting a bit baggy and you're fed up with the chav image try a new scoob. It maybe doesn't give you that instant buzz but it's a better ownership car no doubt

You can always add PPP for some more of that flat four sound, I love mine and would not swap back, no way, give yourself some time to acclimatise to the refinement and you'll realise you've a better car - Subaru have played another blinder

Avalyn.
Old 16 November 2004, 10:59 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

nice

glad you're enjoying it
Old 16 November 2004, 02:58 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Avalyn, nice post.

I've had mine since Friday and the wife has now driven it more than me!!!!

Near to hear that you're really pleased with it, as I am with mine. It's funny, I thought the Wagon was the one that looked awkward at the back!

;-)

Take care fella.
Old 16 November 2004, 03:38 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

dietbruboy,

Nice to hear you are pleased with your purchase ... my missus refuses to drive mine as she is so scared she'll prang it so it's aaaalllllll mine

Always prefered wagons, the stealer near me has a few blob-eye saloons in at the mo. I had a quick look at a black MY04 saloon when my wagon was in for it's 1K service and something just didn't look right about it ... think it's maybe because the ride height looked lower at the back than front so it was kind of pointing upwards ... hmmmm.

Wagons rule

Avalyn
Old 16 November 2004, 04:43 PM
New_scooby_04

Glad you're enjoying it mate, ditch those peashooters though!! :-)

>All in all it's a better car, it is more grown up BUT if you are looking for an adrenalin >shot every time you go out you're better off with a classic.

That's spot on! I drove an 04 and was very impressed with the performance and refinement, but when I got behind the wheel of an MY99 I was gobsmacked! Objectively, there is not much - if anything- in it, but subjectively the classic *really* lets you know how fast you are going. It felt roughly on par with an 04 standard STi.

Best and wish you a long happy ownership experience with 'Hamish' :-)
Old 17 November 2004, 07:39 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Avalyn

Good note. Would have to agree with you on most if not all the points....

A MY00 does feel more hardy and back to basics if you like. Mine, some three cars ago now, was up to about 290 bhp and felt like fun. I don't think the PPP will get to those levels, but it will still be fun to see.

I like the build quality, which in the MY00 felt like a 10 grand car with a 10 grand engine. Now, the MY05 actually feels like it;s worthy of the money. The doors shut with a solid thunk, there seem to be less rattles, and things seemed better screwed together.

The centre console is much better and feels better. However, I think this has as much to do with Saab developing their US model as it does with Subaru, but I grateful to them for doing it. It's a good system as well that seems to work very effectively.

The handling is imporved. It rides a lot nicer and is a comfortable place to be. The Sti was too rough and I wanted the wagon as I needed to do the Ikea trips along with new baby, proven last night as yet another trip was held to the delights of Croydon.

I hve the new grey and while a lovely colour, at times it seems almost silver. Pity the first person who comments on my silver car - wet fish to the head or the like.

There are peeves of course, but ones that would be simple to fix.

Why, when Subaru UK fit the alarm system, can they only find a system that requires the key to be within 2 cm of the front window. There are frequent times when standing at the boot the car will not unlock. I know we all know why, but come on, there are many standard (OEM) and aftermarket alarms out there that work from some 10-15 metres away that are Thatcham 1. Why do we have to put up with a car alarm that has such a very pathetic performance range. It;s not very good.

I also wish there was a rheostat in the dash for the night illumination. I'm one of those people that likes minimal lights. I like it fairly low, but readable, but something that I barely see. These are too bright and annoying, and I wish there was some easy way of changing it (I always remember one of my previous MX-5's in the 90's had this, and I found out that it was all wired in for the rheostat, but just needed the switch to be purchased. £12 later, I was all sorted. Wish it was that easy).

It's a decent car - not the greatest in my eyes and I'm not such a fan that I can see no wrong. They are not the best looking cars, the interior is still short of what the car deserves, and lets be honest, this is a car that has its chassis and engine roots back in the early 90's. Without that engine, the car is left standing by the majority of its competitiors.

But it still serves to put a grin on my face. It makes me smile when I smell the leather (wonder how long that smell will last though), I love that on these cold mornings the heated seats work far quicker than the engine takes to warm up, so while my nose is blue, my backside is glowing!

The dealer has not been the greastest - the classic of great until the cars deleivered, then don't want to know. He was calling me back yesterday - never did of course. Warranty issues - there's another. You run through them all (only 3 and minor ones) with him after collecting the car, then 1.5 months later it goes in for the service at a different dealer who then gets told by the supplyiing dealer (who apparently has to fund the warranty work if its something that should have been spotted at PDI - like a wonky steering wheel), and the supplying dealer denies all knowledge. Shocking...

I have been told that the PPP will be available for MY05's at the end of the month, so car is booked in on the 4th for fitting.

Anyhow, still happy and still smiling. I wouldn't have bought one if I hadn;t of been and I cannot think of another car for brand new, for this money, that gives me this performance. Any quibbles are therefore minor. I'm back in the Scooby fold. And having fun...

Andy
Old 17 November 2004, 10:46 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Again would agree with most of above.

Had my first service today, which cost me £106 as my cars an EU import (£16500) however I've had not one problem so far! No rattles, nothing!

All the dealers I phoned about servicing were more than willing to do buisness and the one I eventully went to were more than accomadating. It seems they're all willing to fit PPP when I'm ready!

My car has been registred with IM and I've got a conformation letter to state this (cross border warranty).

Basically I've been very impresed with my first scoob and it's sure to improve furthur once loosened up properly. It's getting there!

BTW I'm not sure if this applies to uk cars but my car came with a 5 yr transmission warranty!

Jason
Old 17 November 2004, 11:26 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Again would agree with most of above.
All the dealers I phoned about servicing were more than willing to do buisness and the one I eventully went to were more than accomadating. It seems they're all willing to fit PPP when I'm ready!
Jason
Who are you guys insured with? I want to PPP my 05 WRX but L&V don't want to know :-(
Old 18 November 2004, 08:01 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

ScoobyNoob

Sorry - have to say L&V. They were fine with the whole fitting of mods and stated clearly to me that mods are fine as long as the engine doesn't change. Just to keep photos of before and after and any receipts of work I had done.

Andy
Old 18 November 2004, 08:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

By all accounts L&V's policy on mods seems to change on a daily basis depending on who you talk to. It seems that anyone who was a customer a few months ago is still OK with mods, but policies taken out more recently don't allow them - a great shame.

My '05 STI goes in for its 1000 mile service tomorrow - time for a report soon too, once I've had a 'proper' play
Old 18 November 2004, 09:32 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

So we are all in agreement

mightyvid ... re: the key fob/alarm mine isn't particularly strong either but is variable whether it wants to work more than 10 ft away. I have a tip though and strange as it may sounds give it a try .... hold the key fob to your temple then press the key

I also agree about the lighting, I absolutely loved the red glow of my old A4's cockpit at night .. it was so relaxing ... still the new one is better than the MY00. I like my lighting down low too ..

I'm also not a head in the sand person thinking the scoob is god ... competitors have better interiors/fuel consumption/stereo's etc but I bought Hamish for the 4WD+handling+performance side of things .. it could do with PPP but the standard car is quick enough but the speed is not translated into the cabin as it is in a classic car.

I do like the looks of the Scoob wagon but I think that this is due to constant exposure rather than it actually being a nice looking car

I looked at R32's (not big enough), 330D's (wife does not like RWD up here), Civic Type-R's (ohhhh does it have any front grip at all in the wet), Audi quattros (done already and too dull), Focus RS (halfords interior + fidgety ride) and just couldn't see past the Scoob wagon as an all round car that fitted my requirements

I'm enjoying it and after 5 hrs in a Seat Ibiza hire car yesterday even more so (apart from the stereo which was much better in the Seat ).

Avalyn.
Old 25 November 2004, 01:39 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested to see how it fares at 2500 miles on the clock.

I've had my MY04 new since Sept 1st and at 2000 miles the problems started. First it was a rattle from under the dash at the drivers side. And I do mean rattle, not vibration. Somethings loose. Then the power steering pump started to whine, actually screach, shreik, howl, whenever I turn right. And to cap it all off it now whistles at 67mph (and faintly at 33mph). And no, the whine is not related to the window seals or the mirrors.

All in all, the last 3 wks ownership have been a let down. By the end of a journey I'm wanting to get out and beat it with a baseball bat. I've never had a car thats had so many rattles (its been in the dealer already for rear rattles which were, thankfully, fixed). Nor have I had a car that required a new steering pump after 2000 miles. And the whistle I fear is a feature I'll have to live with.

Its going back to the dealer on Dec 1st. Hopefully they can sort out the dahs rattle and steering at least. I'll get the wife to drive on the motorway for me so I can check out the whistle to see if i can locate it.

Other than that, it has been (or had been) a great car. Only mods I felt it needed were the pro drive springs which made it feel nice and sharp. The STi exhaust has given the rear a sportier look without being too lound and bassy... i really dispise loud exhausts and the STi one is borderline. Oh, and the STi fogs really pretty up the nose. Once you de-sticker them of course.

Fingers crossed the enjoyment will be back soon.