ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

5TH Gear Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 09:19 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 5TH Gear Last Night

Tiff smoking an Sti around the track with an ex Sas bloke, cant remember his name doh!, on again tonight at 7.30pm channel five
Old 16 November 2004, 09:33 AM
Mica Blue
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that was sweet the way tiff was powersliding round the bends.

Can't believe that they kept smashing up the Discovery though!
Old 16 November 2004, 09:43 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crofty
....with an ex Sas bloke, cant remember his name doh!, .....
Chris Ryan
Old 16 November 2004, 10:22 AM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

Think it would have been much more interesting if they'd have concentrated on getting a quick lap rather than the usual Tiff "Racing driver wannabe, but not good enough" Needell power sliding around the same bend time after time.
I really have a problem with that man, I find him hard to watch he's so irritating and his ego is off the scale !

Rant over....blood presure coming down now.
Old 16 November 2004, 10:40 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I have to say I am starting to prefer 5th gear to top gear. Top gear is aimed at the normal guy not a car enthusiast, and lacks some of the driving the Tiff offers! Shame is not on longer in my opinion as it’s the only real car show on main stream tv where they give an honest answer on the car, not what Clarkson feels at that moment in time!

I though the scoob looked phatt, would have been better if they had spent longer on the track showing how Chris got on after being shown some tips off Tiff and may be a bit more of Tiff throwing it around!

Wasn’t Tiff an actual race driver at one point?!?! What ever you call his driving I wish I was out there doing his job!
Old 16 November 2004, 10:46 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mica Blue
Can't believe that they kept smashing up the Discovery though!
Best thing for it I would have thought!

Do you think the STi was out from a dealer on Subarus 24hr test drive offer?
JohnD
Old 16 November 2004, 11:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dogus, the problem is watching a car do a fast lap round the track is pretty boring. In fact watching most cars around a track becomes tedious after a while. Only way I can see it holding any interest is to make it look fun. IMHO the only way is to rag the t!ts off it and have it sliding about all over the place.

We're all wannabe racing drivers and the world is full of them. I'm sure Michael Schumacher could do a better job, but I doubt and UK TV channel has the budget to keep him as a presenter.

Stefan
Old 16 November 2004, 11:24 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

IIRC..Im pretty sure that Tiff is an ex-F1 driver and British GT driver...

Personally, I like TopGear and 5th Gear, fair play to Clarkson and Tiff... I want their jobs...

J
Old 16 November 2004, 11:48 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

tiff is still a very high quality driver....

but iw ouldnt lend him my sti
Old 16 November 2004, 01:50 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Top Gear: "The Vanquish S has had some engine modifications that raise the power from 460bhp to over 500."

Fiftth Gear: <VBH> "Aston Martin have changed the heads, forged conrods, "</VBH> etc.

i.e. at least fifth gear gave some technical info. What did you actually learn about the Smart from Top Gear?

Mind you both programmes were pretty damning about the Aston.
Old 16 November 2004, 04:53 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

yeah true, but i can see there point, the cars are virtually identical apart from the vanquish that keeps breaking, but the vanquish is £60k more, makes you wonder why someone would buy it?
Old 16 November 2004, 04:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
I have to say I am starting to prefer 5th gear to top gear. Top gear is aimed at the normal guy not a car enthusiast, and lacks some of the driving the Tiff offers! Shame is not on longer in my opinion as it’s the only real car show on main stream tv where they give an honest answer on the car, not what Clarkson feels at that moment in time!

I though the scoob looked phatt, would have been better if they had spent longer on the track showing how Chris got on after being shown some tips off Tiff and may be a bit more of Tiff throwing it around!

Wasn’t Tiff an actual race driver at one point?!?! What ever you call his driving I wish I was out there doing his job!
Tiff has done a bit of everything and is very talented but prefers to do what he does and have fun rather than take it seriously I think and who can blame him I'd do his job tomorrow if they asked me nicely enough

I'm going to watch this episode later but although they do tend to cover the same ground as top gear they are aimed at different audiences I think. Top gear is a light entertainment show now revolving around cars where 5th gear is a car show .
Old 16 November 2004, 05:20 PM
Rusty.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
yeah true, but i can see there point, the cars are virtually identical apart from the vanquish that keeps breaking, but the vanquish is £60k more, makes you wonder why someone would buy it?
Because when you see one drive by you'll think 'gees, that guys obviously got £60k to throw away'
Old 16 November 2004, 08:03 PM
mick02wrx
Scooby Regular

Youve hit the nail on the head rusty, people who buy an 'S' model dont care that its no different to a standard DB9. Its just the big headed fact that it cost £60K more and everyone knows it. I'll bet that everyone of them sells no problem, to your tipical "My cars dearer than your car" kind of guy (Bast*rds - Wishing he could win the lottery and buy a DB9)

Mick
Old 16 November 2004, 08:12 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Was a good episode, nice to see a Scoob being driven like that rather than the understeering mess the stig made of the WR1 on Top Gear.

As has already been stated, Tiff Needel is not a 'racing driver wanna be', he has already been a racing driver. He as an amazingly skilled driver.
Old 16 November 2004, 08:20 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Tiff still does quite alot of racing. Watched him win at Brands Hatch a few weeks ago, he won the race even though his car was clearly slower than some others.

Personally I think Fifth Gear is much better than Top Gear. Better content and much better presenters.
Old 16 November 2004, 08:30 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Pity they didnt use a scoob with DCCD installed, he wouldnt have needed to do scandanavian flicks to get sideways or used the M3 for learning how to donut.
Old 16 November 2004, 08:43 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JohnD
Best thing for it I would have thought!

Do you think the STi was out from a dealer on Subarus 24hr test drive offer?
JohnD
PMSL

At the end of the day the Reality of TV is.......... 'It's unreal' and 'Staged managed'

I have been on 2 episodes of CH4 Driven. Driven tried there hardest not to upset any Manufacture,there are just another form of Car advertising. They were very concern in the 3 car vote nobody went to one car it took 3 takes and using there 3 votes to even it up

Top gear and Clarkson don't care what Manufactuers they upset there famed for it The down side he obviously hates Subarus I think his dog got stuck in a Firestorm or run over in a Subaru

like 5th gear though seems a good overall balance

Tony
Old 16 November 2004, 08:50 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Doesn't take much working out STIG with DCCD understeer Tiff without, no understeer as I said earlier post Clarkson openly hates Scooby's and to that end made the WR1 look bad IMHO

Tony