Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on selling a WRX first hand with a customer...

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2004, 12:26 AM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tips on selling a WRX first hand with a customer...

Any advice on selling a car... especially when viewing...

I have advertised my WRX on Autotrader and getting some response... however, I have never really sold a car as such, so what kind of things do I need to be carefull of as a seller i.e.

1] Dodgy cash or bankers draft
2] Exchange papers after money is in my account
3] Always keep keys with me and never in ignition while not seated in driving seat.

1] Would you let the customer test drive your car, or would you drive it for them?

2] Would you request full drivers license and insurance proofs before they test drive?

3] What if they begin to thrash the car?

4] Would you sit in the passenger seat or back seat if there are 2 people who come to view...?

5] What if they try to steal or hi jack the car...?

6] How far would you go in a test drive?

These are my main concerns...

Please advise...
Old 07 November 2004, 12:34 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

i sold my fist car back in apr with 80% profit i may add

asked for insurance on the car b4 the test drive b4 i let him drive it.

i cleaned and hoovered the car obviously and filled her up to the neck.

Made sure oil and water levels were all full so it looked well cared 4!

ur's being a higher value car i would advise keeping the keys on ya.

and try to have all the doc's to hand as i handed over the logbook without the latest MOT and looked like a tit when i had to run off and find it!

well good luck with the sale!

whats next?
Old 07 November 2004, 12:44 AM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
i sold my fist car back in apr with 80% profit i may add

asked for insurance on the car b4 the test drive b4 i let him drive it.

i cleaned and hoovered the car obviously and filled her up to the neck.

Made sure oil and water levels were all full so it looked well cared 4!

ur's being a higher value car i would advise keeping the keys on ya.

and try to have all the doc's to hand as i handed over the logbook without the latest MOT and looked like a tit when i had to run off and find it!

well good luck with the sale!

whats next?
Well, to be honest... I'm not sure... I have a budget of around £3500... so what ever it is, it must be easy on the pocket... I need to clear a few debts!
Old 07 November 2004, 11:23 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi 1 thing when you go on the test drive don't have the docs on you ie logbook mot etc, as if they were to high jack the car they can't sell without papers. also if you are worried about this sort of thing don't go on your own. i didn't take a friend with you who can sit in the back. always sit in the front. first you drive the car go on long stretches and open it up a bit, then give it to him if you do feel confident, but give him direction to short twisty roads so he hasn't got long stretches to blast the car.
also if you are not sure of the money take him with ya to the bank put it into your account let the bank check it if its ok give him the keys and watch as your scooby goes away.
well this is what i did when i sold my scooby:d
Old 07 November 2004, 11:40 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mo,s scoobymonster
hi 1 thing when you go on the test drive don't have the docs on you ie logbook mot etc, as if they were to high jack the car they can't sell without papers. also if you are worried about this sort of thing don't go on your own. i didn't take a friend with you who can sit in the back. always sit in the front. first you drive the car go on long stretches and open it up a bit, then give it to him if you do feel confident, but give him direction to short twisty roads so he hasn't got long stretches to blast the car.
also if you are not sure of the money take him with ya to the bank put it into your account let the bank check it if its ok give him the keys and watch as your scooby goes away.
well this is what i did when i sold my scooby:d
A good tip that i was told is to never leave the car before the potential driver does, for example, if you take the car out with him, and he wants to drive, make he leave the passenger seat first and walk round to the drivers door whilst you just slip into the passengers seat (avoiding the gear ****)...
Old 07 November 2004, 04:57 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Default Good tips...

Originally Posted by molko
A good tip that i was told is to never leave the car before the potential driver does, for example, if you take the car out with him, and he wants to drive, make he leave the passenger seat first and walk round to the drivers door whilst you just slip into the passengers seat (avoiding the gear ****)...
Is it an idea to show around the car first or after... does it matter... and then maybe documents... or documents, car then test drive... because then there is nothing left to do apart from negotiate...

Don't want them hanging around after that really...???

Please advise?
Old 07 November 2004, 05:11 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

I think it would be wise to INSIST on a name, address, and land line telephone number of the prospective buyer BEFORE you tell them your address.

When they give you the details, tell them that you are busy, but will phone them back in 1/2 an hour.
Then check out if the name/address/Tel No match via directory enquiries.
If they are ex directory, explain to the operator that you have all their details, (tel No etc) but want to confirm they live at the address they have told you.

Only AFTER you have you have confirmed the land line number tallys with the address they gave, do you give them your address.

Giving the address the car is kept at to someone who phones you on a mobile is risky.

Cheers
MTR
Old 07 November 2004, 07:52 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Is the Autotrader website a good place to advertise, I will try the magazine also along with the Top Marques magazine.

What about places like Maxpower and Revs... or is that for 'boy racer' time wasters...

Don't mean to offend anyone...
Old 07 November 2004, 09:54 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by adeel.a
Is the Autotrader website a good place to advertise, I will try the magazine also along with the Top Marques magazine.

What about places like Maxpower and Revs... or is that for 'boy racer' time wasters...

Don't mean to offend anyone...
Where do you live? In my experince in the SE I got lots of calls from Autotrader but since I moved up North I was disappointed with calls from Autotrader. I know the cars were'nt overpriced as I received 1 call for the last 3 cars and sold them to the first viewer. At least they sold i suppose.....
Old 07 November 2004, 10:26 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Where do you live? In my experince in the SE I got lots of calls from Autotrader but since I moved up North I was disappointed with calls from Autotrader. I know the cars were'nt overpriced as I received 1 call for the last 3 cars and sold them to the first viewer. At least they sold i suppose.....

South London... I looked on the Autotrader before pricing it up to see what the 'going rate' is... haven't had too many calls yet, only been the first week though...